6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2019 9:04 PM by Frank Hoffmann

Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times

Frank Hoffmann

Hello All,

one of my customers who migrates from 6i to 12c found out, that Forms 12.2.1.3 does not work correctly handle a When-Button-Pressed Trigger with a mouse-DOUBLE Click on a button.

The behavior in 12.2.1.3 is, that the Code of the button is fired twice. A message or alert could prevent this behavior but would be a bad workaround to add it in every button logic.

You can easily reproduce the case:

Create a form with a simply button.

Add a "When-button-pressed" trigger with "null;" as code

Create a WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK Trigger with "null;" as code

Create a WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLE-Click Trigger with "null;" as code

Create a debug flag for all triggers.

Start the form and double click on the button.

In 6i the When-Button-Pressed Code is fired once.

in 12.2.1.3 the "When-Button-Pressed Code" is fired twice . Also both Mouse triggers (WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK and the WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLE-Click fire).

(Probably this is the reason is, that 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between the Click and the Doubleclick)

Debugging has this sequence:

Doubleclick on the button:

(1) WBP clickcounter := 1

(2) WMC

(3) WBP clickcounter := 2

(4) WMDC

So doubleclick means two times WBP:

I offered the customer to make a quick and dirty workaround by setting a parameter for 1 second with system System.Client_idle to prevent the second call of the WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger. This can be added to every WBP Trigger with Forms API Master.

Every WBP Trigger:

if :parameter.form_wbp = 1 then return; else if :cb_workaround = 1 then :parameter.form_wbp := 1; SET_APPLICATION_PROPERTY(CLIENT_IDLE_TIME,(1)); end if; end if;

(1) WBP System Client Idle for 1 seconds - Parameter FORM_WBP 1

(2) WMC

(3) WBP return if FORM_WBP = 1 - click_counter := 1

(4) WMDC

Double Click on the Button:

Has anyone a more clever solution? Or is there a way to change the behavior WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED Trigger with a hidden Parameter in the Environment?

Is this a bug or a feature?

Frank

• 1. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Frank,

I have not looked at the product code yet,  but off the top of my head, this is a bad coding practice.  MOUSE triggers are not intended for use on buttons.  This is why we have a WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger.  If you don't want the behavior of a button then don't use a button.  Instead use a Display or Image item or other object, but not a button.  This is not a bug.

Consider this, forget about the Mouse trigger for a moment,  the event that is fired when you click the button will fire one time for each cycle of pressing down then releasing.  So if you double-click a button the BUTTON-PRESSED trigger will fire twice.  It has no awareness of a "double-click" concept, so it fires each time a down then up action occurs.  This is expected behavior.  So if you try to add MOUSE triggers to this, all of these events will be sent to the server and appear as though things are being duplicated when actually they are not.

Again, MOUSE triggers are not intended to be used with buttons.  Do so at your own risk.

• 2. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
            Frank Hoffmann

Mike,

i added the mouse triggers only for investigation.

if you have a button menu and double click on a button in 6i the Trigger would be fired once.

In 12.2.1.3 the Trigger is fired twice. This brings up problems.

What would you suggest? The user might always from his windows understanding do a double click on the button.

Frank

• 3. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Let me check into it and get back with you.  I suspect, as I mentioned that the Forms Java client has no awareness of a double-click on the context of a button, so the event is sent twice.  Likely it would fire three times if you rapidly clicked three times.  This would not surprise me as it is only responding to what you are doing, clicking...

I will update this post as soon as I know more.

• 4. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
                Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Frank,

Development has confirmed that each time you press/click on a button the expected behavior is the corresponding trigger will fire.  So if you click a button three times you should expect to see the trigger fire three times.  However, as you noted, if you try to interrupt that flow with a modal window/alert or similar, the subsequent trigger execution (WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED) may not fire.  This cannot be avoided nor can such a condition be detected before it happens.

Consider this:

1.  You double click a button, but don't do it fast enough.

2.  The first event from the client makes it to the server and the server sends a message back that forces an Alert to be displayed.  Regardless of whether you see the Alert or not, the client received the request and is processing it.  At this point the client will not accept any more input until after this alert is rendered.  But while in this state the user does the second click of a double click.  Because the client is now in a wait state, that second click is never heard.  It's almost as if the user clicked outside the form.  So the trigger only fires one time.

This is just one example of how the behavior you are seeing might happen.  There are likely others.

Although unrelated, I wanted to mention that Dev also confirmed that using MOUSE triggers on buttons (push button, radio button, and even check boxes) should be avoided.  In most cases, we will not accept bug filing against undesired behavior resulting from such a configuration.  If the default button behavior is not desirable, consider extending it with a PJC or create your own button with a Java Bean.

• 5. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
                  beans

Hi Frank,

Have you considered a form level WHEN-MOUSE-DOUBLE-CLICK trigger?

As it is form level, it would fire for everything, display items, text items, buttons etc.

If you detect what sort of object you are in when the WMDC trigger fires you could do nothing/ignore the double click action unless you were in e.g. a text item.

[pre]

IF :SYSTEM.TRIGGER_ITEM IS NOT NULL THEN

IF get_item_property(:SYSTEM.TRIGGER_ITEM, ITEM_TYPE) = 'TEXT ITEM' THEN

-- maybe do something based upon the item type (get_item_property(:SYSTEM.CURSOR_ITEM, DATATYPE);

-- if it's a date and call a calendar, a number call a calculator...

END IF;

END IF;

[/pre]

• 6. Re: Forms 12.2.1.3 can not distinguish between Mouse-CLICK and Mouse-Double-CLICK and executes WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED two times
                    Frank Hoffmann

Thank you "beans" for your Suggestion.

my main problem is that with 6i the When-Button-Pressed trigger fires one time with Mouse doubleclick and fires two times with 12.2.1.3.

So I have to prevent with a coding like in my example the second call of the logic behind When-Button-Pressed.

Maybe my explanation was not precise enough.

Frank