9 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2019 12:00 PM by Dude!

ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)

Tawab Afridi

I have Installed Oracle DB 18 c Enterprise Edition with single instance and not plug-able database

Now i am facing problem while connecting, i can connect with sys user but when i create a user by create user command, i can not connect with that users. i am attaching a snapshot too. tst.jpg

• 1. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
          EdStevens

Tawab Afridi wrote:

I have Installed Oracle DB 18 c Enterprise Edition with single instance and not plug-able database

Now i am facing problem while connecting, i can connect with sys user but when i create a user by create user command, i can not connect with that users. i am attaching a snapshot too. tst.jpg

I several issues, none of which are related to the reported error.

First, your connection as sysdba: if this is on the same machine as the database, you do not need to include the net service name ('@xe').  Likewise you do not need to supply username and password, as oracle is using os authentication anyway. A simple 'sqlplus / as sysdba' will accomplish the same thing.  Or if you already have sqlplus started, then 'conn / as sysdba'.

Second, you created a new user, but you did not grant it privilege to connect.  You need to GRANT CREATE SESSION TO TEST.

Third, again, if this is on the same machine as the database, user TEST does not need to provide a net service name.  Simply 'sqlplus <username>/<password>.

• 2. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
            Dude!

And @xe is used for the free Express Edition, not Enterprise Edition as the subject suggests.

• 3. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
              EdStevens

I missed that point. I wonder if he might not be connecting to the DB he thinks he is.

• 4. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                Tawab Afridi

First of all thanks for reply, sir, i know that xe is used for free express edition but i have it used as SID name just instead of orcl , i have installed Enterprise Edition and you can see in the snapshot too.

• 5. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                  Tawab Afridi

Thanks for reply, sir, yes i am on the same machine i have been try your pattern of connecting without using net service name and also granted dba to user and try too grant session but still same problem, (you wrote in your message os authentication) would you like to explain about os authentication that how can we disable or what is the procedure how can we follow os authentication in oracle.1.jpg

• 6. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                    EdStevens

Tawab Afridi wrote:

Thanks for reply, sir, yes i am on the same machine i have been try your pattern of connecting without using net service name and also granted dba to user and try too grant session but still same problem, (you wrote in your message os authentication) would you like to explain about os authentication that how can we disable or what is the procedure how can we follow os authentication in oracle.1.jpg

I see no reason why that should fail. Perhaps someone else will weigh in.

• 7. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                      Tawab Afridi

Thanks for reply, i found the error reason, i was used after installation ALTER SYSTEM SET SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON = FALSE, its was making error- ora-01017.2.jpg

• 8. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                        EdStevens

You should unset that parameter, effectively making it TRUE, the default. It increases security that way, which leads to the second reason you should unset it.  Because a setting of TRUE is more secure, oracle has deprecated that parameter and it is slated to be removed completely in a future release. You should NOT be running it as FALSE.  Trust me on that. One of my top projects at the moment is to figure out how to minimize disruption when I remediate this on the one database I support that has the widest user population.

• 9. Re: ERROR: ORA-01017 (18c Enterprise Edition)
                          Dude!

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by turning off case sensitive passwords?