6 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2019 3:24 PM by Dude!

What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?

Tom

May I ask what software Oracle use for its forums (Community space) ? If I remember Oracle switched to its new 'forum engine' about 2 years back (2017).

I want to suggest the same for Ask Ubuntu which internally uses stack exchange.

One big annoying limitation with stack exchange is that the OP can only reply only via 'Add comment' option. And you can only type 600 words with 'Add comments' option. Plus, text formatting is limited too.

In Stack exchange, the only option for OP to reply in a readable formatted manner is to use the 'Answer your question' . But, its a big No No to do that in Stack exchange.

If you guys know of other good 'forum engines' , please let me know

• 1. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
          Timo Hahn

Oracle public spaces are using Jive.

I personally would not advise using Jive as there are many flaws (at least here in these spaces).

Timo

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
            Dude!

Do I read this right? You are asking people in the Oracle community to make a software recommendation for Stack Exchange, so you can recommend it to Stack Exchange? Why should I care about Stack Exchange? Why don't you ask over there at Stack Exchange what people think about Stack Exchange?

Sorry, but I think having a discussion here about Stack Exchange is inappropriate and also a waste of time if you wish to use it to convince anyone at Stack Exchange to reconsider their platform. Do you think whoever runs Stack Exchange is not aware what software exists? Are they asking for recommendations? Likewise I would think that any discussion that Oracle should use a different platform is useless. Oracle would probably have to start something completely different and new and the same will probably apply also to Stack Exchange.

Perhaps you had hope that Oracle Communities run on Oracle Software. Well, it's not. Perhaps the back engine uses Oracle Database, but that info appears to be highly classified. Check https://www.jivesoftware.com for more info. The platform is not for free.

• 3. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
              L. Fernigrini

Actually, OP never asked recommendations for Stack Exchange:

I want to suggest the same for Ask Ubuntu which internally uses stack exchange.

As a user of Ask Ubuntu, OP is not happy with the current platform (Stack Exchange) and prefers the one that this community is using, he has his reasons, as clearly states on the next paragraphs:

One big annoying limitation with stack exchange is that the OP can only reply only via 'Add comment' option. And you can only type 600 words with 'Add comments' option. Plus, text formatting is limited too.

In Stack exchange, the only option for OP to reply in a readable formatted manner is to use the 'Answer your question' . But, its a big No No to do that in Stack exchange.

I believe he is free to suggest in the Ask Ubuntu platform to evaluate another platform like this one and seems logical to ask which particular platform is the one being used, since it is not publicly shown in any place (as fas as I know)

• 4. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
                Dude!

Whether it's Ask Ubuntu or Stack Exchange, what difference does it make? I'm not suggesting that the OP is not free to ask what software the community platform is running on. But the post is asking for suggestions what might be suitable for a community that has absolutely nothing to do with Oracle, not even remotely, which in my opinion is inappropriate to discuss here.

• 5. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
                  BluShadow

Sorry Dude, but the OP is perfectly entitled to ask such a question.

You're taking the attitude of:

"Hey that's a nice Porche you're driving, which model is it"

"Go away, you drive a Volvo, go ask the Volvo garage?"

However, there's nothing wrong with the OP asking what engine this platform is using.  He may have some influence on what platform the Ask Ubuntu is run on, so could be asking for a perfectly valid assessment of different platforms based on what he's seen around.

• 6. Re: What 'forum engine' is used for Oracle community space ?
                    Dude!

Like I said, I have no problem with the OP asking what software the platform is using. I have even suggested the URL for more specific information. That's as far as I would go.

Whether or not the OP has any influence what platform Ask Ubuntu is using, which you consider a possibility, to me is mere speculation and irrelevant. I find it inappropriate to address shortcomings of this platform by addressing shortcomings of Ask Ubuntu (or stack exchange), in particular since there is no relevance to any product that Oracle is offering. That's just my opinion. You consider this unfriendly or counterproductive?

By all means of criticizing, I'm criticizing the topic, but not anyone personally. Could you please not draw conclusions about my attitude and post examples of what you assume I'm thinking, which I don't, and which is not that simple?