2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2019 11:08 PM by Dude!

OL 8 and BTRFS

Dude!

Hi,

Starting with RHEL 8, Red Hat no longer includes a driver for BTRFS and that the technology has been abandoned in favor of Red Hat's stratis, which I understand is a wrapper for LVM an XFS. Beside that this does not supersede BTRFS

What effect will this have on technologies like LXC and Docker? I've found the following on the web:

Note that Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) removes the Btrfs storage driver from their build of Docker, both on the Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) repository and the version released for RHEL7. (https://www.thegeekdiary.com/how-to-configure-btrfs-as-the-storage-engine-in-docker/ )

I'm not sure about LXC with may also supports LVM, but I understand Docker from the OL7 optional repository relies on BTRFS.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: OL 8 and BTRFS
          Avi Miller-Oracle

We will continue to support Oracle Container Runtime for Docker on Oracle Linux 8 after the UEK6 is released for OL8 which will restore btrfs support when you boot into the UEK. Until that occurs, we recommend staying on Oracle Linux 7 and using UEK5 with Docker.

• 2. Re: OL 8 and BTRFS
            Dude!

If I may say so, and this may sound odd and like a travesty to anyone betting on Solaris, but Oracle Linux seems to care more about "sustainable technology" than Redhat. However, Apple and Microsoft, who I'd say used to care, a long time ago, are perhaps the worst-case scenario, at least for IT professionals. Now since Redhat is IBM, I guess we'll have to see what's next.