8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2019 1:16 PM by EdStevens

Cannot connect to the database

Greetings,

I downloaded the virtual machine from the following link  https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html  and when I try to access the database or the APEX page I can not do it.

Connecting through sqlplus system / oracle @ orcl shows me the following error.

ERROR: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I've been investigating but I can not solve it, does anyone have any idea how to do it?

• 1. Re: Cannot connect to the database
          EdStevens

4005014 wrote:

Greetings,

I downloaded the virtual machine from the following link https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html and when I try to access the database or the APEX page I can not do it.

Connecting through sqlplus system / oracle @ orcl shows me the following error.

ERROR: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I've been investigating but I can not solve it, does anyone have any idea how to do it?

Well, if what you posted as a command ls exactly what you entered, you'd have gotten a different error, due to spaces where they don't belong.  Always, always copy the entire text of the entire command and response, and paste it into your message.

You say you investigated but could not solve it.  But you don't show what you tried.  Since the error says the listener doesn't know of the requested service, we need to see what the listener does know.  Show us the result of  the following command:

lsnrctl status

Also, show the result of

tnsping orcl

And like I said, don't tell us what you think you did and your interpretation of what you got. Show us exactly, by copying the full text from your command session and pasting  into your response.

• 2. Re: Cannot connect to the database

The connection was made without the blank spaces, they were added when copying and pasting

Result of lsnrctl status:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production on 05-JUN-2019 11:24:15

Copyright (c) 1991, 2018, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

STATUS of the LISTENER

------------------------

Alias                     LISTENER

Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production

Start Date                30-MAY-2019 13:20:47

Uptime                    5 days 22 hr. 3 min. 27 sec

Trace Level               off

Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP                      OFF

Default Service           orclcdb

Listener Parameter File   /u01/app/oracle/product/version/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora

Listener Log File         /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/mad-5hzckc2/listener/alert/log.xml

Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))

Services Summary...

Service "64a52f53a7683286e053cda9e80aed76" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "orclcdb", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "784ac9d638bb5f59e0530100007f6047" has 1 instance(s).

Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).

Service "orclcdb" has 2 instance(s).

Instance "orclcdb", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "orclcdbXDB" has 1 instance(s).

The command completed successfully

Resut of tnsping orcl:

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production on 05-JUN-2019 11:26:04

Copyright (c) 1997, 2018, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

/u01/app/oracle/product/version/db_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 0.0.0.0)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))

OK (20 msec)

• 3. Re: Cannot connect to the database
              EdStevens

4005014 wrote:

The connection was made without the blank spaces, they were added when copying and pasting

Result of lsnrctl status:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production on 05-JUN-2019 11:24:15

Copyright (c) 1991, 2018, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

STATUS of the LISTENER

------------------------

Alias LISTENER

Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production

Start Date 30-MAY-2019 13:20:47

Uptime 5 days 22 hr. 3 min. 27 sec

Trace Level off

Security ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP OFF

Default Service orclcdb

Listener Parameter File /u01/app/oracle/product/version/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora

Listener Log File /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/mad-5hzckc2/listener/alert/log.xml

Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))

Services Summary...

Service "64a52f53a7683286e053cda9e80aed76" has 1 instance(s).

Service "784ac9d638bb5f59e0530100007f6047" has 1 instance(s).

Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).

Service "orclcdb" has 2 instance(s).

Instance "orclcdb", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "orclcdbXDB" has 1 instance(s).

The command completed successfully

Resut of tnsping orcl:

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 18.0.0.0.0 - Production on 05-JUN-2019 11:26:04

Copyright (c) 1997, 2018, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

/u01/app/oracle/product/version/db_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias

Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 0.0.0.0)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))

OK (20 msec)

ok, so your tnsnames.ora is specifying to connect to 'SERVICE_NAME = orcl', and your listener says he has a service 'orcl' registered.  All that looks good, so offhand I'd question if the db was started when you had your failure.  Or you are not looking at the listener on the correct server.  That IP address bothers me.  I know there is something 'special' about 0.0.0.0, but I'm not enough of a network guy to understand that part.  I give all of my vm's their own unique IP, just like we do for the servers in the data center.

• 4. Re: Cannot connect to the database

The problem is that I can not connect to the pluggable database (orcl) only to the container (orclcdb), when I try to connect is when I fail in the listener. I am new in this world and I do not know how to force the connection with the pdb since without it I can not access from the sqldeveloper to configure a RESTful Services, I appreciate the mere fact that you bother to read all this.

• 5. Re: Cannot connect to the database

The one that can not be accessed is not my fault since the only thing I have done is to import the virtual machine offered by Oracle, I have not touched anything in the configuration and in the download page it does not indicate that anything has to be modified.

• 6. Re: Cannot connect to the database
                    EdStevens

4005014 wrote:

The problem is that I can not connect to the pluggable database (orcl) only to the container (orclcdb), when I try to connect is when I fail in the listener. I am new in this world and I do not know how to force the connection with the pdb since without it I can not access from the sqldeveloper to configure a RESTful Services, I appreciate the mere fact that you bother to read all this.

I'm out of ideas at this point.  Perhaps someone else will weigh in.

The fact that you can connect to the container proves that your basic networking configuration for the vm is working.

• 7. Re: Cannot connect to the database

It must be a problem of whoever uploads the virtual machine that came up with a bug or it could be that I downloaded it wrong. Could you try it and see the database? already to rule out that the problem is not where I downloaded. This is the machine https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html

• 8. Re: Cannot connect to the database
                        EdStevens

4005014 wrote:

It must be a problem of whoever uploads the virtual machine that came up with a bug or it could be that I downloaded it wrong. Could you try it and see the database? already to rule out that the problem is not where I downloaded. This is the machine https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html

Sorry, I don't have the time for that.  I do have my own job that my employer expects me to do.