8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 12:51 PM by 87cdd991-d610-4dc3-9033-e4faa79a35da

Oracle VM hypervisor engine.

Hello Oracle.

I know Oracle VM Server is based on the Xen hypervisor but I see a news about KVM http://https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-oracle-linux-virtualization-manager-mickey-bharat, what does it mean? Oracle VM Server is type-1 but KVM is type-2!!!

I'm thankful if someone offer some help.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.

Oracle VM using two engines?

Any idea?

• 2. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.
            budachst

Hi,

I haven't read of any upcoming support for KVM and why should Oracle do this. The Xen solution just works very good and all VMs I have setup using KVM, have been slightly less powerful, than their OL counterparts on OVM, especially when run with the UE kernel.

Cheers,

budy

• 3. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.

Unfortunately, Oracle did it and convert Oracle VM to a bullsh*t product. Thus, Oracle VM using a type-2 hypervisor. Oracle VM VirtualBox is against Xen Project too. For example, in "Paravirtualization Interface" tab, you can't see Xen hypervisor. I want to ask from Oracle, who provided "Paravirtualization" ? Of course, Xen did it.

I guess Oracle is under Red Hat company control. Look at Oracle Linux. It is a distro based on Red Hat.

The XCP-ng and Citrix Hypervisor are the best solutions.

• 4. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.
                budachst

Are you just here to insult, or do you want to contribute something more useful?

• 5. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.

I just want to know what is their reason to did it.

• 6. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.

I just want to know what is their reason to did it.

• 7. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.
                      Tomáš Glozar

I do not think that Oracle VM VirtualBox is against Xen - remember that VirtualBox is a piece of software initiallly developed by the German company Innotek, which was bought by Sun Microsystems, renaming Innotek Virtualbox to Sun xVM VirtualBox (to align with the name of Sun xVM Server, then it was bought by Oracle and renamed to Oracle VM VirtualBox, again to reflect the name of Oracle VM Server, but as in the case with xVM Server not related to it at all.

• 8. Re: Oracle VM hypervisor engine.
                        87cdd991-d610-4dc3-9033-e4faa79a35da

I think there's a slight misunderstanding here when it comes to virtualisation products,

You talk about, Oracle VM, Oracle Virtualisation Manager, Oracle Virtual Box.

They are 3 different products which in my opinion have nothing to do with one another.

Oracle VM: Still Xen and still type1, and the PVM option was dropped for a reason other then Oracle being "against the Xen Project"

Oracle Virtualisation Manager: Not a VM platform but a platform to manage KVM environments. Has nothing to do with Xen or OVM or Vbox.

Oracle VM VirtualBox: Type2 and came from Innotek / SUN and more for developers and testing.

Oracle being a cloud driven company these day's has to support and develop the most common used applications and hypervisors and these day's that includes KVM.

I agree with Tomas in saying that Oracle has nothing against Xen and if you think Oracle in " under RedHat control" then you might need to dive a bit deeper into that.

Just compare size + finance numbers and history first