3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2019 6:20 AM by budachst

NFS File Server on Oracle VM Manager Host?

MartinDecker_ora-solutions

Dear Community,

I have two beginner questions. I would like to create a simple setup with one VM Server, 1 VM Manager Host and 1 VM Guest. The guest should use local SSD disks of the VM Server with type "PhysicalDisk" to get best possible I/O rates. I have created 1 Disk Device with the Hardware RAID Controller of the VM Server for the OVM Server Operating System, 1 Disk Device for the Guest Operating System.

1)  Can I place the ISO Image for installing the guest operating system on a File Server Repository on the VM Manager Host?

2) When creating a new VM Guest, I need to choose a repository. I take it that if it would be possible to put the ISO image on a NFS server on the vm manager host, then I would choose that repository for the Guest VM and then configure "PhysicalDisk" Device for Guest OS placement.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
      Martin

• 1. Re: NFS File Server on Oracle VM Manager Host?
          budachst

Hi Martin,

unless Oracle has revised it's policy, the setup you're describing, is not supported by Oracle. Oracle states that repositories on NFS shares are only supported NAS systems and  - surprisingly, on NFS shares from "regular" Linux servers - not even OL ones. I had quite a controversial case about this issue with Oracle Support. Since OVMM has to be installed on a OL/REHL compatible system, those doesn't qualify as a NAS.

Nevertheless… you can run a NFS repo from any standard NFS server and you will probably never experience any issue, which will be caused by the NFS server.

Regarding your 2nd question: at least the guest config file will have to be saved on the NFS repo, but that shouldn't hurt.

Cheers,

budy

• 2. Re: NFS File Server on Oracle VM Manager Host?
            MartinDecker_ora-solutions

Thank you very much for your comment. Although not supported, it seems to work now. I forgot to configure iptables correctly for NFS to work on Oracle VM Manager host.

Best regards,

Martin

• 3. Re: NFS File Server on Oracle VM Manager Host?
              budachst

Hi Martin,

of course it is working. As I said, I really had an argument about that in my SR I worked on with Oracle Support. The issue is, if there's anything that might be remotely related to your NFS setup Oracle Support might give you a hard time at that.

Cheers,

budy