5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2019 1:05 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

To draw a model with many relations

FC60

Hello,

I need a suggestion for a design.

My new model is like a spaghetti...

for the same DB, designed many years ago with Silverrun Modelsphere, the old architect had repeated some tables (like the green table in my new design) many times. Only to have less lines (relations) intersection.

In the old design I can find TableA (1/3), TableA (2/3), TableA (3/3).

How can I draw my model in the easiest way...I have 108 tables?

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS: Question for Philip Stoyanov. Oracle will give us the gift of an auto-adjusting function for the objects, like SQL Server Management Studio?

• 1. Re: To draw a model with many relations
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

had repeated some tables (like the green table in my new design) many times. Only to have less lines (relations) intersection.

In the old design I can find TableA (1/3), TableA (2/3), TableA (3/3).

you can do that in DM, you can create graphical synonyms and even can have different presentation and level of details.

graphical_synonym.png

After that in FK dialog you can select which synonym to be used. Also you can let DM to do that for you:

layout_use_synonyms.png

You need to tick "Use synonyms" and do auto layout.

auto-adjusting function for the objects, like SQL Server Management Studio

What does that mean? You can see in the picture above there is "Snap to grid" and "Resize objects to visible". Also you can find "Align Left"..."Equal Height" in Edit menu

Philip

• 2. Re: To draw a model with many relations
            jflack

I often ignore the diagram that shows everything and only use subviews.  I choose an entity/table that I know is central, like EMPLOYEES in the HR schema, right click, then choose "Create Subview with neighbors". Get only one or two levels, then drag and drop any other objects I want to see in this subview. Delete the views (as opposed to delete the objects) of anything you DON'T want on the subview.  I'll usually leave out lookup/reference tables because they tend to add much of the clutter, though I might do a subview to show ONLY a table and its reference tables.

• 3. Re: To draw a model with many relations
              SchwabW

I did try the synonyms approach. I had to revert everything.

In my set-up, since many tables are logically bound to a function, subviews are a good approach. I am working exact the same way. Select a table and create new Subview with neighbours.

The Auto-Layout function is nothing you can use everytime. A basic initial set-up thats'all. Still I have no clue what exactly lay-out 1 to 4 are doing.

For Auto-layout I am missing 2 functionalities:

1. Auto-lay-out from a selected table --> In this case normally the table I used to create the subview
              2. Auto Lay-out with an ordering mechanism. Lay-out from Parent to child the "Classic Style" example see below.

Parent

Child 1                         Child 2      Child 3

Child 11     Child 12          Child 21

Child 211

BTW: Using the Report Function --> Objects --> Report Configuration manage --> Choose Subview Objects (see screenshot) raises always an "Exception during all tables report generation java.lang.String cannot be cast to oracle.dbtools.crest.model.design.DesignObject"

It works with one selected table fails with 10+ Tables

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: To draw a model with many relations
                FC60

Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Sorry, I I had never used the auto-layout function... Not the best, but can help (I think you should improve it).

Never used "Synonyms". When I found this fonction I thought they were the "synonyms" of the physical DB.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

• 5. Re: To draw a model with many relations
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The auto-layout is what it sounds like, 4 different algorithms to find a close-to-ideal diagram layout for your model

The idea is to try all four, pick one that comes closest to what you need, then tweak it as desired