1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2019 6:50 AM by ChrisJenkins-Oracle

how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Currently I am having Timesten installation and one instance is running. Is there any way, I can create an additional instance with the same installation?

• 1. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
          ChrisJenkins-Oracle

Which TImesTen version are you using?

In 11.2.2 and earlier there is no difference between an installation and an instance; you use the extracted downloaded installation package to create an instance and each instance contains all the necessary files.

In 18.1 and later an 'installation' is simply the unzipped downloaded package. You create an instance using the ttInstanceCreate command located in the installations's 'bin' directory  and that instance is then 'linked' to the installation. If you want to create additional instances linked to the same installation just run ttInstanceCreate again and give a different location to store the new instance.

Chris

• 2. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Thanks Chris.

I have 11.2.2 version installed on server and one instance is already existing.

I am trying to add one more instance for another environment.

The new instance will connect to a different Oracle database. So, there will 2 instances each connecting to 2 different databases.

Can you please guide me on this? How to proceed?

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

cid:image001.png@01D38960.181E21D0

• 3. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
              ChrisJenkins-Oracle

Do you actually want to add an entire new TimesTen intense (i.e. a second TimesTen installation)? Or just a add a second TimesTen database (cache) to your existing TimesTen instance? Either is possible but the process is quite different. If you just want to add a second cache to connect to a different Oracle database then you don't actually need a whole new TimesTen instance; you can just add a second database and configure it to connect to the other Oracle database..

Adding a new database to an existing instance

1.    Choose the storage location for the second database's checkpoint and transaction log files. These must be a completely separate locations to the location(s) used by the existing database and of course should NOT be anywhere within the Timesten instance directory structure. Create any necessary directories and grant the correct permissions.

2.   In your instance's sys.odbc.ini file, add a new DS definition for the new database in both the ODBC Data Sources section and later in the file (use the existing entires a a template/guideline.

3.  As the instance administrator user, connect to the new DSN using ttIsql; this will create the physical database.

4.  Create users, tables, cache groups etc. as required.

The existing and new databases (cache) are completely independent of each other apart from the fact that they are managed by the same instance.

Creating a new TimesTen instance

1.   If you still have the original TimesTen download, find it otherwise download the (latest) 11.2.2 version from OTN or eDelivery.

2.   Extract the installer to a temporary location.

3.   Run the 'setup.sh' script within the installation package to create a new TimesTen instance. If installing on the same server as the existing instance then the new instance must be have a different name to the existing instance and also must use different ports.

4.   Once the instance is created, setup  a database/cache as desired.

The two instances are completely independent of each other as are any databases created within the instances.

In general it is more efficient to have a single instance with multiple databases but either setup is fine and both ways are fully supported.

Chris

• 4. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Thanks Chris for your guidance.

For option-1 : Adding a new database to an existing instance

During maintenance activities, if the existing instance is down, then both the cache databases will not be available. Am I right?

I want to make then independent.

So, I will go with Option-2 : Creating a new TimesTen instance

Since there is one existing instance, I need to provide new home path different than the existing. Is that right?

The “setup” script will create the required binaries for the new instance.

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

• 5. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
                  ChrisJenkins-Oracle

Yes, with option 1 if the instance is down then all the databases/caches in the instance are also down.

For option 2, when creating the instance it needs to be in a different location from the existing one. Since the instance name is part of the location you can install the instance in the same location as long as you give it a different name (instance names anyway have to be unique within a machine in 11.2.2). Then the setup script creates a new instance with its own binaries etc, that is completely independent of the existing one. As I mentioned you will need to specify different ports for the main daemon and server at install time and any clients will need to use this instances C?S port when communicating with it.

Chris

• 6. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Thanks Chris,

I have tried with Option-2 and specified different DNS name and port number for the new daemon and server.

When I am trying to start the instance with “ttdaemonadmin –start”, it is always referring to existing instance not to the new one.

I have check the PATH and other environmental settings, not finding any clue on it.

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

• 7. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
                      ChrisJenkins-Oracle

Can you please:

1.   Give details of your existing instance (e.g. the location of the instance).

2.   Give details of the new instance location.

3.   Provide the detailed step by step of what you did to create the new instance.

4.   Confirm that when trying to work with the new instance you have set your environment properly by sourcing the file in <new_instance_home>/bin/ttenv.sh.

Thanks,

Chris

• 8. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Here are the details:

1.   Give details of your existing instance (e.g. the location of the instance).

/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttqa2/info

2.   Give details of the new instance location.

/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info

3.   Provide the detailed step by step of what you did to create the new instance.

$ ./setup.sh

There is 1 TimesTen instance installed locally :

1) ttqa2 (TimesTen11.2.2.8.22)

Of the following options :

Install a new instance

Upgrade an existing instance

Display information about an existing instance

Quit the installation

Which would you like to perform? 1

NOTE: Each TimesTen installation is identified by a unique instance name.

The instance name must be a non-null alphanumeric string, not longer

than 255 characters.

Please choose an instance name for this installation? ttsrqa2

Instance name will be 'ttsrqa2'.

Is this correct? yes

Of the three components:

Client/Server and Data Manager

Data Manager Only

Client Only

Which would you like to install? 1

Of the following options :

/home/oracle

/u01/stage/download

Specify a location

Quit the installation

Where would you like to install the ttsrqa2 instance of TimesTen? /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/

Where would you like to create the daemon home directory? /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info

The daemon logs will be located in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info

Would you like to specify a different location for the daemon logs? no

Installing into /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 ...

Creating /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 ...

Uncompressing ...

NOTE: If you are configuring TimesTen for use with Oracle Clusterware, the

daemon port number must be the same across all TimesTen installations

managed within the same Oracle Clusterware cluster.

• The default daemon port (53396) is already in use or within a range of 8

ports of an existing TimesTen instance. You must assign a unique daemon port

number for this instance. This installer will not allow you to assign another

instance a port number within a range of 8 ports of the port you assign below.

NOTE: All installations that replicate to each other must use the same daemon

port number that is set at installation time. The daemon port number can

be verified by running 'ttVersion'.

Please enter a unique port number for the TimesTen daemon (=list)? 53407

NOTE: For security, we recommend that you restrict access to the

TimesTen installation to members of a single OS group. Only members of

that OS group will be allowed to perform direct mode connections to

TimesTen, and only members of that OS group will be allowed to perform

operations that access TimesTen data stores, TimesTen files and shared

memory. The OS group defaults to the primary group of the instance

administrator. You can default to this group, choose another OS group

or you can make this instance world-accessible. If you choose to make

this instance world-accessible, all database files and shared memory

are readable and writable by all users.

Restrict access to the the TimesTen installation to the group 'oinstall'? yes

NOTE: Enabling PL/SQL will increase the size of some TimesTen libraries.

Would you like to enable PL/SQL for this instance? yes

Do you want to replace the ttendaemon.options file in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info? yes

TNS_ADMIN exists in your environment and is set to :

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4/network/admin

Would you like to use this TNS_ADMIN setting for the Oracle TimesTen Application-Tier Database Cache? yes

TNS_ADMIN will be set to /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4/network/admin

You can change TNS_ADMIN later by running /bin directory. If you want to use a different compiler,

please modify the links to point to the desired library and server binary.

Installing server components ...

What is the TCP/IP port number that you want the TimesTen Server to listen on? 53408

Do you want to install the Quick Start Sample Programs and the TimesTen Documentation? no

Would you like to install the documentation (without the Quick Start Sample Programs)? yes

Where would you like to create the doc directory?

The TimesTen documentation has been installed in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/doc.

An existing sys.odbc.ini file has been detected in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info.

NOTE: You may not be able to successfully run the demos if you keep your

existing sys.odbc.ini file. If you choose to replace the existing

file, a backup will be made automatically.

Would you like to replace the existing /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/sys.odbc.ini file ?

The existing sys.odbc.ini file will be used.

The sample sys.odbc.ini file will be saved as

'/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/sys.odbc.ini.ttsrqa2'.

Installing client components ...

An existing sys.ttconnect.ini file has been detected in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info.

NOTE: You may not be able to successfully run the Client/Server demos if you keep your

existing sys.ttconnect.ini file. If you choose to replace the existing

file, a backup will be made automatically.

Would you like to replace the existing /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/sys.ttconnect.ini file ? no

The existing sys.ttconnect.ini file will be used.

The sample sys.ttconnect.ini file will be saved as

'/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/sys.ttconnect.ini.ttsrqa2'.

Would you like to use TimesTen Replication with Oracle Clusterware? no

NOTE: The TimesTen daemon startup/shutdown scripts have not been installed.

Run the 'setuproot' script :

cd /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/bin

./setuproot -install

This will move the TimesTen startup script into its appropriate location.

The startup script is currently located here :

'/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/startup/tt_ttsrqa2'.

The 11.2.2.8 Release Notes are located here :

'/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/README.html'

Starting the daemon ...

Pid file exists: /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/timestend.pid.

To start anyway, use -force.

Unable to start the daemon.

Do you want to abort this installation? no

End of TimesTen installation.

4.   Confirm that when trying to work with the new instance you have set your environment properly by sourcing the file in /bin/ttenv.sh.

$ . ttenv.sh

NOTE: unknown or unsupported java version in PATH, setting values for JDK 7

NOTE: TNS_ADMIN is already set in environment - /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4/network/admin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/ttoracle_home/instantclient_11_2:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttqa2/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4

ANT_HOME set to /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/3rdparty/ant

PATH set to /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/oci:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/odbc:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/odbc/xla:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/jdbc:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/odbc_drivermgr:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/proc:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/ttclasses:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/quickstart/sample_code/ttclasses/xla:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/ttoracle_home/instantclient_11_2:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/ttoracle_home/instantclient_11_2/sdk:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/3rdparty/ant/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttqa2/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.4/bin::/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttqa2/bin

CLASSPATH set to /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/lib/ttjdbc7.jar:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/lib/orai18n.jar:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/lib/timestenjmsxla.jar:/u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/3rdparty/jms1.1/lib/jms.jar:.

$

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

• 9. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
                          ChrisJenkins-Oracle

Okay, a  few things I notice here:

1.    You have ended up with a rather strange instance path: /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 When you tell the installer where to create the instance it automatically appends 'TimesTen/<instance_name>' to that path so you should *not* specify those as part of that path.

2.    Although the instance path appears at first glance to be as mentioned in (1), when you try to start the daemon the error message gives this path:  /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/info/timestend.pid This suggests that you *also* have an instance in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 in which case you have an instance within an instance.

I don't know how you ended up in this situation but you need to cleanly uninstall the instances in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttrsqa2 and /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 by running the setup.sh script in the instance 'bin' directory and specifying -uninstall (i.e. setup.sh -uninstall'). Be sure to use the full path to the script to ensure you are running the right one and be sure to uninstall the instance in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/TimesTen/ttrsqa2 first before uninstalling the one in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2.

Once you have done that, try installing the new instance again specifying the name as ttsrqa2 and the install location as /u01/app/oracle/product which will then result in a single new instance in /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2 which is what you want.

3.   When sourcing the ttenv.sh script always specify the full path (for example /u01/app/oracle/product/TimesTen/ttsrqa2/bin/ttenv.sh) otherwise the current value of PATH will be used to find the script and that might well resolve to the one in the other instance.

• 10. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Thanks Chris,

This time I succeeded to create a new instance. The new instance is ready and running in different home.

As you noticed, earlier I had mentioned wrong instance home path. This time I gave only /u01/app/oracle/product/.

Big THANKS for your support and continuous guidance.

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

• 11. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Chris,

I am trying to provide read-only access on packages and package-body to some set of users.

The user should not get execute privilege. In Oracle enterprise we have DEBUG privilege for this. I am looking for similar in Timesten.

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

• 12. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
                                ChrisJenkins-Oracle

I'm afraid that there isn't any equivalent to the DEBUG privilege in TimesTen, sorry, so I don't think this is possible. I will check with development but I'm not aware of a way to achieve this in TimesTen.

Chris

• 13. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?
                                  ChrisJenkins-Oracle

I confirmed with development and currently there is no way to grant read access to the package and code without also granting execute access. We'll consider improving this in a future release.

CHris

• 14. Re: how can I add a new instance to my existing Timesten installation?

Thanks Chris. Let me know, if we can do that in any other way.

Thanks & Regards,

Basanta Kumar Nayak

DBA Team, TSG

1 2 Previous Next