6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2019 1:23 PM by 3503358

Comments in message board

Hello,

Got a question in WebCenter portal 12c-

In Message Board, there are no issues in posting the messages in the message board.

But the 'Comments' textarea only allows upto 500 characters but the datatype for the comments in the database allows VARCHAR2(2000).

How can I increase the character limit of the comment box (?) Please advise.

Thanks as always!

• 1. Re: Comments in message board
          Daniel Merchán

Hi,

2000 CHAR or BYTE? Take care because if I remember well, the columns were specified as BYTE.

Which is the table column you refer too? In order to have a look.

Have you checked the Publisher Task Flow in peopleconnections-wall-view.jar? Maybe with MDS Customisation maybe you can change the maximum, or replace the input text by your own one (with same EL Expressions) with a higher maxLength, however check the column in database support the length. Not all characters are 1 byte.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Comments in message board

WC_COMMENTS is the table name.

Column name : COMMENT_TEXT - VARCHAR2(3000);

I've increased the character limit from 2000 to 3000.. Still it is not allowing me to enter more than 500 characters in the comments box.

I tried to look in peopleconnections-connections-view.jar file.. Couldn't find the messaging board file in it.

(I'm using 12c) I'll look for peopleconnections-wall-view.jar for this file.

Thanks as always!

• 3. Re: Comments in message board
              Daniel Merchán

Hi,

I do not recommend you touch the Database Model of WebCenter as is not supported.

Inside of the jar I said you can find the Publisher.jsff which is the Message Board. You can try to customise the textArea or see if there is a possible customisation (or by adding your own textArea) to allow more characters.

Kind regards.

• 4. Re: Comments in message board
                Daniel Merchán

Sorry is not the Publisher. Let me check which one is exactly and also recommend how to change it...

• 5. Re: Comments in message board
                  Daniel Merchán

Which exact version of WCP are you?.

I did some research:

• peopleconnmections-wall-model.jar contains the WallDetail which uses the Publisher Task Flow for the Text Area and button.
                  • The fragment responsible of rendering the text area nad button is Publisher.jsff which contains the following snippet:

<af:commandButton id="cbShare"
                                                  text="#{bindings.isPublisherDocUploaderOpened == 'true' ? uib_o_w_pc_w_WallMessages.LABEL_UPLOAD : uib_o_w_pc_w_WallMessages.LABEL_PUBLISH}"
                                                  partialTriggers="cbShareDisabled cbDoc cbHideDoc" styleClass="ok"
                                                  actionListener="#{pageFlowScope.publisherViewerBean.publish}" partialSubmit="true" visible="#{bindings.isLinkAttached.inputValue or
                                                          bindings.isTweetingMsg.inputValue}"
                                                  action="#{pageFlowScope.publisherViewerBean.publishOutcome}"
                                                  shortDesc="#{bindings.isPublisherDocUploaderOpened == 'true' ? uib_o_w_pc_w_WallMessages.LABEL_UPLOAD : uib_o_w_pc_w_WallMessages.LABEL_PUBLISH}">
                                  <af:setActionListener from="#{true}" to="#{requestScope.o_w_activitystreaming_refreshAll}"/>
                                  <af:clientListener method="onMessagePublished" type="action"/>
                                  <af:setActionListener from="#{false}" to="#{bindings.isPublisherDocUploaderOpened.inputValue}"/>
                                  <af:clientAttribute name="doconly" value="#{pageFlowScope.uploadDocumentOnly ? 'true' : 'false'}"/>
                                  <af:clientAttribute name="linkcanned" value="#{bindings.isLinkCanned.inputValue ? 'true' : 'false'}"/>
                                </af:commandButton>

• The backing bing publisherViewerBean invokes a validation through the pageDef which invokes this code.
                  public String validatePersonalStatusUpdate()
                    {
                      if (null != this._message) {
                        try
                        {
                          Wall wall = getWall();
                          if (null != wall) {
                            if ((isUpdateStatus()) && (((UserWallImpl)wall).isUserWall())) {
                              if (this._profile != null)
                              {
                                if (this._message.getBytes().length > 4000) {
                                  return new String("PERSONAL_STATUS_LENGTH_INFO");
                                }
                                if (!((UserWallImpl)wall).isAddMessagesAllowed()) {
                                  return new String("USER_NOT_AUTHORIZED");
                                }
                              }
                            }
                          }
                        }
                        catch (Exception localException) {}
                      }
                      return null;
                    }

So you can see the validation is programmatically hardcoded there. I cannot see a way of customise this or make bigger the text you can publish.

My recommendation is to open a SR with an Enhancement Request for Message Board.

Kind regards.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Comments in message board

Thank you for your reply.