2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2019 9:30 AM by Lee Burgess

Display HTML in Textarea region. Can it be done?

Lee Burgess

I have a textarea field that the user will input text (not markup). We want to allow the user to add links

This is an example of user input:

Currently upon updating I have a function that picks out the URLs and add the markup, however the markup is being displayed instead of the clickable link:

I'm using 18,2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Display HTML in Textarea region. Can it be done?
          fac586

Lee Burgess wrote:

I have a textarea field that the user will input text (not markup). We want to allow the user to add links

This is an example of user input:

Currently upon updating I have a function that picks out the URLs and add the markup, however the markup is being displayed instead of the clickable link:

Which is the exact behaviour expected for a text area. This is a form control for inputting text. It doesn't render HTML content.

This is a continuation of a previous thread: identifying and tagging hyperlinks in a text field. Someone seems to be specifying requirements that cannot be met. "Text with links" and "text areas that render markup" are both oxymorons.

You can have editable content with links by generating and storing mark-up in a rich text editor control, or you can dynamically convert text containing URLs into mark-up with links and render it as unescaped content anywhere on the page except in a form control.

• 2. Re: Display HTML in Textarea region. Can it be done?
            Lee Burgess

Ok thanks fac, I didn't think this would be possible. Ill need to think of another solution. Thanks for taking the time to reply.