1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2019 7:39 PM by a0df040c-60d9-49fd-82fe-73de80b35686

OWM Workspace manager errors: Numeric Or Value Error: Character String Buffer Too Small When Deleting versioned row

I initially ran into the tree limit size Oracle WM has (30).  Our process is to create a new workspace outside the tree and update the data.  While doing so I received this error.

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

ORA-06612: at "WMSYS.WM$154$DELETE$", line 5

ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'WMSYS.WM$154$DELETE$'

After reviewing the data not sure why it stopping.  I wound up manually deleting the data 50 rows at a time until I came to the error again.  Then narrowed it down to one row.  I cannot delete this row and keep getting this error.  There is nothing special about this row.  Other rows of data was longer more complex.  No special characters, just this one row won't delete.

Can anyone shed any light on this Oracle error?

Mark

• 1. Re: OWM Workspace manager errors: Numeric Or Value Error: Character String Buffer Too Small When Deleting versioned row
          a0df040c-60d9-49fd-82fe-73de80b35686

Currently, there is no support for changing the size of the nextver column of the base _LT table.  There is a system trigger that prevents DDL being performed directly on that table.  More importantly however, there is a lot of the internal code and a metadata table that uses that size as the maximum supported size.  As a result, changing the size of the base table column would run into other issues.  This is a known limitation with how many times a single row can be simultaneously modified, and is being looked at to see what can be done.  Do you have a rough estimate of of how many rows are approaching the maximum supported size?  How many of these modifications of the rows are due to active vs historical workspaces?

Regards,