Although this is by no means exhaustive or the most accurate, all contributions and/or corrections are welcome
As I attempt to reply the numerous calls and emails I have been getting, firstly sorry guys, I have been settling down at a new job, and haven’t had time to locate my implementation notes, however find below the steps I followed with a successful result.
• Please follow these instructions – I could not have written a better set of instructions :
NOTE: Although this is written for SLES 9.1, I believe this will work for any Linux variant.
Also, make sure you have installed openmotif 2.0 or higher to make sure the forms server starts and remains running
Windows 2003 Server SP 1
Windows 2003 Server was installed as an environment on VMWare Server (The free one).
P4 800 Mhz CPU
2GB (Physical RAM) and 1GB (Virtual RAM)
250 GB (Physical HDD), 120GB (Virtual HDD)
At this point I have to say a few things:
1. I have not attempted installing on any other version of Windows, so if you try with another version, I may not be able to answer your questions, although I believe it should not be any different.
2. I would believe you can or have access to the internet and can download or find most of the resources needed.
3. I would assume you have installed the Windows 2003 Server with SP 1, Internet Explorer and Outlook. Also, have included an IP address, a server name with its domain extensions in the host file.
4. I would assume that you have created one group – dba , two users applmgr and oracle and included them in the dba and administrator groups
5. I would assume that you are at least familiar with the terms and usage of abbreviations in this sort of environments.
6. I would also assume you have reviewed and have made allowance to meet the required specification in terms of hardware (I did not attempt an installation on the USB HDD, so may not be able to help, if this applies to your situation)
Download and have read the following software:
1. Java Development Kit 1.3 (or higher version)
2. Active Perl – This is needed for the staging script adautostg.pl http://www.activestate.com/store/productdetail.aspx?prdGuid=81fbce82-6bd5-49bc-a915-08d58c2648ca
3. Visual C++ - This is needed for many of the real-time code compilation
http://www.cywin.com/setup.exe (Free open source, never expires!)
MKS Toolkit (Evaluation copy, 30 Trial or get a licence for about $500)
This is necessary for certain unix-only available utilities required to implement/compile Oracle E-business Suite, such as which, make, cc, etc.
5. The DVDs or downloaded zipped copy of the entire Oracle E-Business Suite software for Windows 32-Bit ( I did not attempt on a 64-Bit processor, though I believe it should not be different, but see the necessary documentation if that is your situation)
6. Jinitiator – This is required to run the forms on your system (Although a first attempt to view any of the form interfaces downloads and requests this be installed first) http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/htdocs/devlic.html?url=http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/developer/htdocs/jinit.htm
• DO NOT Install into the default directories and do not allow spaces in file directories/path when installing the software, somehow experience has shown that the Oracle EBS does not handle spaces in file directories well, and results in untold hardship if ignored. E.g Default installation folder for an software installation may suggest C:\Program Files\ JDK 1.5, MAKE SURE you alter this to something like C:\JDK15. DO THIS FOR ALL SOFTWARE INSTALLED
• After each software installation, please reboot the system before installing the next piece.
• Make sure that all the paths to the bin folders for all software installed is included in the environment variables, and verify by typing path in the command prompt to display all paths listed
• If using CYGWIN (like I did, as I could not afford a software expiring on me nor could afford $500 for a test). You may choose all the modules available, but you do not need all (it will be an overkill to have the entire unix utilities and libraries on your windows box, unless you plan on learning unix commands or into heavy development requiring a unix environment, without wanting a unix machine) MAKE SURE you choose all the library options, all the development options and that should be OK. Then confirm after the installation by typing which, cc (or gcc), make(gnumake), ls, gawk(awk), grep (egrep) (IMPORTANT:Where one of the other in brackets exists, copy and rename the copy as the alternative). As a double sure – copy all of these into C:\Bin directory.
• If the Oracle EBS is downloaded, unzip all the files into the folder and ignore any suggestions that it will over-write other files such as the component.label files
• Run adautostg.pl – which you will find in the StartCD i.e the first file downloaded and unzipped. This will attempt to rearrange the installation files in the order in which the installation wizard – rapidwiz prefers and identifies the folders. (Saves you hand-holding the wizard by having to interact during the installation, pointing it to the relevant folders/files if not run) to create the staging area.
• Run Rapidwiz – either by double clicking the rapidwiz.cmd in the startcd folder (this would be the one in the staging area) or from the command prompt
• As required, point rapidwiz, to the bin folder of cygwin e.g C:\cygwin\bin (if this is as installed) in the place where it requires the MKS Toolkit
• Pre-installation Checks – rapidwiz intelligently tests all the necessary software and requirements before installation starts. A corresponding message to each parameter suggests the opinion of the rapidwiz whilst a green tick indicates the parameter is sufficient, other indicators may need reviewing. Please make sure you resolve each issue before progressing with the installation. This may lead to a waste of time if not resolved.
• Choose a single-node installation
(if just testing or practicing, you may also choose a multi-node if this is what you want.)
• If all the modules are not needed (I installed all), you may have to choose which modules you require, and state where you want the modules installed.
• Assuming all parameters are passed and installation begins, the different stages of the installation steps can be followed by the on-screen messages or log file reviews (each logfile directory will be displayed on the screen during the installation of each context).
• Post Installation Checks – Rapidwiz does some checks after an installation, whether successful or not, and provides a report. When an installation is successful. It confirms and provides the url to login. The default username and password for the system administrator is usually sysadmin / sysadmin. You are encouraged to create another user immediately.
For all who asked, depending on how far up your hardware scales in terms of specifications, the installation may take about 3 hours (at least mine did) or more.
Login on to Oracle EBS !
The URL required for logging on to the OAM (Oracle Application Management - For the Apps DBAs) and OEBS (Oracle E-Business Suite - essentially for the Functional Implemeters/Consultants ) - The entire gamut (They are shown as hyperlinks), should be as follows;
where hostname is the same as specified in your host file e.g servername.domainname.com or .whatever-u-like
8000 - is the default port, but you may have chosen your own port and that should be used in such a case.
N.B - The Forms server is often started when an attempt is made to access such an interface after login in to the OEBS. However, in my own case, it did not until I made sure openmotif 2.1 was installed on my SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.1. The windows installation started without any issues.
If all attempts fails….
You may have to try and try again by deleting all installation files and starting all the installation steps again. It will help if you know how to edit your registry settings to delete all reference to oracle e-business (not all reference to oracle though, as some odbc-related entries have been installed by Microsoft and require your registry settings to function)
Alternatively, send me your box, your mailing address and a token (money of course, and I may be able to set it all up for you) – JOKING!
CAVEAT: I will not be held responsible if anything unsavoury happens to your system in the course of you following the steps I have highlighted above either correctly or incorrectly. However, if you are successful, please sing my praises all over the forum and ask that I be rewarded by Oracle!