5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2019 6:34 PM by Bo A

EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl

Bo A

I don't even know how to ask my question, so I'm just going to start by telling you my high-level plan of EBS cloning per MOS.138362.1. Then hopefully you can tell me why I shouldn't do it this way.

According to the MOS note, once I got my target database clone/open ( using RMAN duplicate),

5.7 Cloning the Database Separately

I need to run adcfgclone dbTechStack.

I noticed that it attempted to create CONTEXT_FILE by asking for a bunch of parameters then I had to run adconfig with (INSTE8_STEUP).

Then run adcfgclone.pl dbconfig <CONTEXT_FILE>.

The way I've been doing is CONTEXT_FILE can be created by running adbldxml.pl (so that I don't have to manually enter all the parameters like in dbTechStack).

Then run adconfig, then run adcfgclone.pl dbconfig <CONTEXT_FILE>.

By not running dbTechStack, is there something that I might have missed in the cloning process? My clone instance seems okay by using (adbldxml.pl, then run adconfig, then dbconfig).

I just want to know if something might've missed by not running dbTechStack?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl
          lmu

Is this for a newly cloned instance or are you refreshing the data?

1. If  you are refreshing the data and you have not applied any patches to the source, you don't need to run adcfgclone dbTechStack. You can use the oracle_Home the way it is and your existing context file. No need to recreate it.

2. If your source database home has changed because you added patches, you can either add the patches or refresh it. When you run adcfgclone dbTechStack, use the context file you already have for this target.

$ cd <RDBMS ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil/clone/bin

$ perl adcfgclone.pl dbTier <Database Target context file>

2.  If this is a new clone that did not exist before or is a different database version than what was there, then you would want to run adcfgclone dbTechStack. and create a new context file. It will configure and relink the ORACLE_HOME.   I knew some guys that will also relink the home with rapdiclone in addition to relinking with adcfgclone.  That seems like over kill but it didn't hurt.

You need to follow the other steps in the doc after you have created the database.

First -> Check your init.ora parameters, verify they are all good.

1.      $ sh <RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil/bin/adconfig.sh contextfile=<CONTEXT_FILE> run=INSTE8_SETUP

2.  $ cd <RDBMS ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil/install/<CONTEXT NAME>

$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba" @adupdlib.sql <libext>

3.     $ cd <RDBMS ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil/clone/bin
              $ perl adcfgclone.pl dbconfig <Database Target Context File>

I have some really crappy consultants that do not follow the steps in the doc.  It always causes me headaches and plenty of extra time for them to bill. If your goal is to bill time. Don't follow the steps and do it the way you are describing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl
            Bo A

I'm not a consultants so bill time is not my worry . My non-production instances are always "new clone". I was just curious what i might have missed by not running dbTechStack (part of which create CONTEXT_FILE).

I know this is annoying, can you please tell me what else dbTechStack do extra asides from creating CONTEXT_FILE.

Per your Reply

If this is a new clone that did not exist before or is a different database version than what was there, then you would want to run adcfgclone dbTechStack. and create a new context file

1.      $ sh <RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil/bin/adconfig.sh contextfile=<CONTEXT_FILE> run=INSTE8_SETUP

What i did,

Create a CONTEXT_FILE using adbldxml.pl

I have no problem running dbTechStack, I just don't like how i have to manually enter a bunch of values for it created a CONTEXT_FILE.

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl
              lmu

What is the source of the ORACLE_HOME you are cloning?  You are not installing it new are you? You are copying it from another instance ? It will have all the info from the other instance.

• 4. Re: EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl
                lmu
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: EBS Cloning with adbldxml.pl
                  Bo A

In a way, i'm creating a new ORACLE_HOME because I'm on Oracle Database Appliance. So whenever i need to clone a new environment, I created a new ORACLE_HOME, then copy over the appsutil directory from Source ORACLE_HOME (I did run adpreclone dbTier on Source Oracle Home), and then perform the following.

then run exec fnd_conc_clone.setup_clean; (In Target database)

Create a CONTEXT_FILE using adbldxml.pl

Please tell me I'm crazy for doing this.

Note!! I had to create a new ORACLE_HOME because it is the only was ODACLI management layer will recognized the oracle_home (for upgrade purpose from ODACLI layer).

If i just copy over Source Oracle Home binaries to Target Oracle Home, I haven't found a way to make this "Target Oracle Home" aware by ODACLI layer.