8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2019 1:31 AM by Gaz in Oz

Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10

BobbyJ

This may be a dumb question, but how can I eliminate the duplicate taskbar icons after launching SQL Developer in WIndows 10? After unzipping the SQL Developer archive file, I navigated to the extracted directory and right clicked "sqldeveloper.exe" in the parent directory and selected "Pin to Taskbar". This created a launch icon in the taskbar.

When I launch SQL Developer using the newly created icon, Windows creates a new (duplicate) SQL Developer icon in the taksbar representing the running program. The duplicate icon is created to the right of all other existing taskbar icons. As soon as I close the application the duplicate icon disappears. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
          Glen Conway

I guess that is just the way the SQL Developer currently handles its interaction with the Task Bar. 

Some applications do not permit multiple instances of themselves to run simultaneously.  For example, if you pin NetBeans or VirtualBox, you get one icon in Task Bar, then actually starting them produces no additional icons in the Task Bar.  In the case of VirtualBox, opening (starting up) multiple VM's will cause 2 overlapping icons to appear.  Pinning Open Office, you get one icon For Open Office, then opening text documents or spreadsheets present as 2 overlapping icons (no matter how many documents have been opened).  Similar to Microsoft Office apps - 2 overlapping icons no matter how many documents are open.

With SQL Developer, opening multiple instances of the same version presents as 2 overlapping icons, but opening a different version will display its own icon.  The pinned icon seems to be handled separately as its own icon.  I suppose this is something the SQL Developer team could change if they want.

Cheers

• 2. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
            Glen Conway

And recalling that the sqldeveloper.exe is just a wrapper for java to call a jar file,

created by Launch4J (Launch4j - Cross-platform Java executable wrapper ) ,

you can do web searches and find discussions similar to

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5438651/launch4j-nsis-and-duplicate-pinned-windows-7-taskbar-icons

• 3. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
              BobbyJ

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that after launching if I right click the "duplicate icon" the running app is "sqldeveloper64W.exe", not "sqldeveloper.exe" that I used to create the taskbar icon. This could explain why Windows shows it as a separate icon.

If I right click the running app "sqldeveloper64W.exe" and pin that to the taskbar, close the app, relaunch the app, then I don't get a duplicate icon when the app is running. The taskbar shortcut for this new icon shows it is launching sqldeveloperW.exe directly from the \\sqldeveloper-19.2.0.206.2117-x64\sqldeveloper\bin directory.

Is there is an issue with launching SQLDev this way by launching sqldeveloper64W.exe instead using of the sqldeveloper.exe wrapper in the parent directory?

• 4. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
                Gaz in Oz

With sqldeveloper 19.2.something and win10 there was no option to pin the exe directly to taskbar by right-mouse-clicking on sqldeveloperw.exe.

I am used to using sqldeveloperw.exe from the commandline, so I chose sqldevelerw.exe to get pinned to the taskbartaskbar.

Navigating to the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin directory -> right-mouse-click on sqldeveloperw.exe -> Pin to start menu.

Then click on Windows Start button, locate blue sqldeveloperw.exe icon (appeared in the right hand pane "Life at a glance" pane) , click on that, a single icon appears on task bar and sqldev starts.

While sqldev is running, right-mouse-click on sqldev icon on taskbar and choose "Pin to taskbar".

Exit sqldev, the icon remains on taskbar.

SINGLE-Click on the icon, sqldev starts, only one icon still, underlined blue.

• 5. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
                  Glen Conway

Interesting discussion -- thanks to both of you for the Windows tips.  I missed out on all this since I intentionally have my shortcuts start bin\sqldeveloper.exe.  Having the extra Cmd console icons don't bother me, and sometimes it is handy for catching the odd error message or stack trace.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
                    Gaz in Oz

Starting sqldeveloperw.exe via the commandline returns the prompt back to the commandline so it is actually detached from the sqldeveler gui once initialized. I carry on working in cmd, sqlplus etc in that same cmd window that started sqldev.

Starting sqldeveloper.exe from cmd has a subtly different behaviour in that control is not returned back to cmd until sqldev is closed.

What I am saying is, the command console in my screenshots are unrelated. Sorry for the confusion.

Here's the taskbar with sqldev running by single-clicking the sqldev icon:

• 7. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
                      BobbyJ

Thanks for the detailed description and screenshots. That looks like the same behavior when I pin \\sqldeveloper-19.2.0.206.2117-x64\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper64W.exe. When I pin that exe, I don't get the duplicate taskbar icons after launching from the pinned icon. When I pin \\sqldeveloper-19.2.0.206.2117-x64\sqldeveloper.exe, then I get the duplicate icons after launching the pinned icon.

Just one last question, is there an issue or difference in functionality in launching the SQL Developer UI from:

• \\sqldeveloper-19.2.0.206.2117-x64\sqldeveloper.exe vs.
                      • \\sqldeveloper-19.2.0.206.2117-x64\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper64W.exe 

Does the former just point to the latter?

• 8. Re: Question: Duplicate Taskbar Icons After Launching in Win10
                        Gaz in Oz

No issue, just a difference in behaviour when calling the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloperbin\sqldeveloper*w.exe vs calling sqldeveloper*.exe (no w).