3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2019 5:43 PM by jeffb1

EBS compatibility :  APP on RHEL, and DB on AIX

Bluesrunner

We are trying to find some documentation that addresses the compatibility of running the EBS suite application on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux server, with the database residing on an AIX host.  Can anyone direct me toward a DocID that addresses this scenario, or, possibly speak to their own experience with this configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

• 1. Re: EBS compatibility :  APP on RHEL, and DB on AIX
          mdtaylor

Hi Andy,

This is call Split Configuration or Database Only Configuration in EBS.  Do you already have the application on RHEL and DB on AIX?  This was more popular in the 11i days when people wanted to run the database on a 64-bit OS. 

Using Oracle EBS with a Split Configuration Database Tier on 11gR2 (Doc ID 946413.1)

Using Oracle EBS 11i with a Split Configuration Database Tier on 12cR1 (Doc ID 1585642.1)

Using Oracle EBS Release 12.0 or 12.1 with a Database Tier Only Platform on RDBMS 12.1 (Doc ID 1585648.1)

Using Oracle EBS 12.2 with a Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle 12c Release 1 (Doc ID 1926202.1)

I would make sure you had a guru available for tuning Oracle on AIX before running EBS DB on AIX, unless it was a small DB.

Regards,

Michael

• 2. Re: EBS compatibility :  APP on RHEL, and DB on AIX
            Bluesrunner

Thanks for the quick reply Michael.

We currently run in what you would call a split configuration with the DB (12.1.0.2) on one AIX host, and the application (12.1.3) on another AIX host.  We are planning to migrate to different hardware, and, in that process, we are moving the application to RHEL as well as upgrading from 12.1.3 to 12.2, while leaving the DB on AIX at 12.1.0.2 (last supported DB version for EBS 12.2.8).

My concern is with the viability of this configuration.  The DocIDs you provided seem to address my concerns from a general standpoint.

If anyone has any specific experience with this configuration, I would welcome any comments/suggestions.

Thanks again,

Andy

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: EBS compatibility :  APP on RHEL, and DB on AIX
              jeffb1

We do something similar. Our Apps tier is on Windows and the database tier on RHEL. When we upgrade to EBS 12.2, the Apps tier will move to RHEL but still on a separate server from the database.

1 person found this helpful