1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2009 3:29 AM by 682558 RSS

enhancement requests for APEX 3.0

sky123
      Here are some requests for enhancements for APEX 3.0:

1. Read-only form or regions. Currently, I can only set read-only items in a form. It would be nice if I can set the entire form (or regions) read-only.

2. Master with multiple detail tables in tabs (like stack canvas in Oracle Forms). Currently, I can manually create any number of detail groups with the master table on the same page by using the APEX_ITEM API's and the DHTML technique to render tabs (sliding door) - one single save button will automatically update both the master and all detail groups simultaneously.

3. This is related to the request #2. It would be nice if there can be validation at the detail groups. Currently, It is hard to implement validation rule at the detail groups when using the APEX_ITEM API's. When data error occurs at the detail level when "save", its data (at the detail groups) will disappear after the error page shows up and user goes back to the form even though the data in the master form is still there.

Thanks.
      Andy
        • 1. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
          Chet Justice
          Andy,

Related to #3, you can use collections to achieve this. Populate the collection with your data, use the APEX_ITEM API's on the collection query, update the collection on Submit, validate the rows in the collection and then display the errors with the data submitted.

Not sure if you already knew this, just thought I would throw it out there.

chet
          • 2. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
            I would like to see an extended log error file, with the source code of pl/sql build dynamically by APEX for standard DML manipulation.

On screen I see the error
            ========================
            ORA-06550: line 1, column 17: PL/SQL: ORA-00936: missing expression ORA-06550: line 1, column 9: PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored

ORA-06550: line 1, column 17:
            PL/SQL: ORA-00936: missing expression
            ORA-06550: line 1, column 9:
            PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
            ========================

related to "automated row fetch DML" but I can't understand why?
            • 3. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
              WilliFirulais
              A master-detail report would be great. There are a lot of messages in this forum for such a feature.

The requirement is to have something like that:

Master Region A id=1 (read only form)
                Detail Region B id=1.1
                Detail Region C id=1.2
              Master Region A id=2 (read only form)
                Detail Region B id=2.1
                Detail Region C id=2.2
              It would be great if it were possible to call the function that "generates" the region html code for the output on your pages. In this way a nesting of forms and reports would be possible.

As anounced APEX will compete against MS*Access - this is one feature to bring in to do so. In Access you can create forms or reports and then doing some nesting (or in other words "Master-Detail") of them.
              Workaround with AJAX:
              I have played around a lot for "faking" this feature and here a solution to this:
              - Create your "Master Region A", what in APEX terminology is a read only form

- Create your "Detail Region B", what in APEX could be a report region bound to the read only form by using a condition in the sql query, eg. 
              select ... where master_id = :form_id
              - Create your "Detail Region C", what in APEX could be a report region bound to the read only form by using a condition in the sql query, eg.
              select ... where master_id = :form_id
              Doing all this on one page gives you a nice "report" but only for one master record of a time. If you like to print out a hundred e.g. invoices (invoice header, invoice details, payment details) you have to do a lot of clicks :-)
              Control Region
                Master Region A id=1 (read only form) eg. invoice header
                  Detail Region B id=1.1
                  Detail Region C id=1.2
                Master Region A id=2 (read only form)
                  Detail Region B id=2.1
                  Detail Region C id=2.2
              To get all your e.g. invoices on one page ready for printing, create a new page that contains one report region (control region) that selects the id's from e.g. invoice header.
              Now comes the "nesting". In your "control region" go to the report and add a derived column. In that column write somthing like this:
              <div id="d#ID#"></div>
              <script language="JavaScript1.1" type="text/javascript">
              var detailPage = 951;
              var ajaxReq = new htmldb_Get(null,html_GetElement('pFlowId').value,null,detailPage);
              ajaxReq.add('P951_STORY_ID',#ID#);
              ajaxResult = ajaxReq.get(null,'<htmldb:BOX_BODY>','</htmldb:BOX_BODY>');
              html_GetElement('d#ID#').innerHTML = ajaxResult;
              </script>
              The template for this you can find somewhere here.

This does the "master-detail" miracle using ajax.
              If it is possible to do such a nesting (by calling the html output through a pl/sql function instead of ajax) there are a lot more possibilites what could be done by such an architecture - think of it like apex "portlets". You also can build easer reusable components in apex that can be used and installed in different applications.

Thx, Willi
              I know for such a thing (master-detail reporting; nesting of reports) there have to be done major changes. Products come on a certain ceiling and enhancement will not be included if they need a too fundamental change in the architecture - but if such architectural changes are not considered another product may do it or have it - see Access.

Message was edited by:
              Willi Firulais
              • 4. enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                Lannie Liberty
                faster graphics engine than SVG
                takes over 5 seconds to draw 30 data points.

Customers force me to make JPG of graph and post that instead,
                defeating purpose of dynamic charts.
                • 5. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                  Jes
                  Hi,
                  faster graphics engine than SVG
                  takes over 5 seconds to draw 30 data points.
                  Can you produce a test case for that? I have many charts that contain more than 30 data points which don't take 5 seconds to render.

Are you certain it's the rendering of the chart that takes 5 seconds? How much of that 5 seconds is consumed by the actual performing of the query?
                  • 6. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                    I have a few relevant to development experience:

http://www.benjaminwootton.com/?p=33

Maybe we should make this thread a 'sticky' to collate enhancement requests?
                    • 7. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                      Jes
                      There is an area on the Wiki for enhancements -

http://wiki.shellprompt.net/bin/view/Apex/EnhancementCategory

Which might make a good place to collate the wishlist.
                      • 8. enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                        Lannie Liberty
                        I am not the only one complaining about slow SVG graphics...
                        common complaint here in forum.

The query is a simple SQL statement from a pre-aggregated table of counts
                        with a small number of rows less than 1,000.

Unless the use of session bind values like :P0_VALUE slows everything way down.

Or perhaps it is because that query has to be repeated three times,
                        one for each series in the line charts.

I get the feeling, but have no way to determine,
                        that the Abode SVG add-in keeps reloading every time you draw a chart.

I will try some other things, like rebuilding indexes.
                        • 9. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                          Hi,

trace your query by adding a &p_trace=YES to the url.

Details see http://wiki.shellprompt.net/bin/view/Apex/QuickTipsCategory =>Tracing Performance Problems.

Patrick
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Check out my APEX-blog: http://inside-apex.blogspot.com
                          • 10. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                            WilliFirulais
                            Hallo,

A flexible textarea in the Application Builder would be nice (e.g. especially when defining templates the areas are alwas too small for writing html text)

For an example of a flexible textarea see:
                            http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=17547:1

Thx, Willi
                            • 11. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                              WilliFirulais
                              Hallo,

Another enhancement request with the charting:

Enhancement: Allowing PL/SQL anonymous block in the "Header and Footer" section of the Chart Attributes.

This will give the advanced user the possiblity to add some "things" (eg. lines, individual markers, special arrows, whatever the business department is dreaming of, etc) in addition to the generated chart graphic using your pl/sql libraries that create svg "text".

This small little feature may give you the advantage over a lot of tools that out there for graphing, because you have then the right granularity for hooking into the svg charts.

Thx, Willi
                              • 12. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                                Hi,

I would like to see the following enhancements:
                                <p>
                                Tabular Form:<ul><li>Reference a column value from the current row in a lov select statement</li><li>Add additional options to "Display as", eg Checkbox! and Text Area with Spell checker, ... I think it should have the same options as a page item has</li></ul>
                                General:<ul><li>An On-Error pl/sql code which can be defined on page and application level. It's called when an error occurs, like Oracle*Forms does it. This should give the possibility to manipulate the error text, ignore the error, log the error or even call your own error package to get some additional infos for the error stack. <br>What has to be considered: Should it be called for each error which is raised by a process/validation, or should it be just called for the final error stack. I would opt for "for each error", this would avoid that we have to create each time a process to handle errors raised by an instead-of-trigger when the form is based on a view. => Automatic DML can't be used :-(</li><li>Each object in the repository should have a "Developer Meta Data" property, which can be used by the developer to store some information which he can later on analyzing when reading the APEX repository views. Using the comment property is just a workaround...</li></ul>

My 2c for now :-)
                                Patrick
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Check out my APEX-blog: http://inside-apex.blogspot.com
                                • 13. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                                  Willi,

your flexible textarea is really nice!

Patrick
                                  • 14. Re: enhancement requests for APEX 3.0
                                    Earl Lewis
                                    In the SQL workshop, when you're viewing the code of a view (are you with me?) the column list of the view, if there are many columns, goes way out to the right - and you need to scroll far right to see all the columns included in the view.

How about adding some formatting to this when the view is created so the column list goes down the page, instead of off-screen to the right?

It seems that other objects have formatting that makes them more readable. This one would certainly help me.

Earl
                                    1 2 Previous Next