10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2019 7:47 AM by Just_UD

Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS

Just_UD

Hello,

Hope I post in the correct forum. I have some questions regarding my case. I have an EBS 12.1.3 instance with Oracle Database 11.2.0.4.0. I read, and tried myself, an empty data full install Oracle EBS only consume about 80 GB space. The problem is, my database instance is about 400 GB, it's only about 4 years old and with not many transactions. So I think it shouldn't be that big. None knows why it grows as big as that. I'm thinking whether there's a safe way to reduce / shrink the database and also find the cause of it to grow that big? Thanks,

• 1. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
          John_K

400GB isn't really that big for an E-Business Suite instance. I presume you have looked at table sizes to identify any large tables? Do you have a lot of attachments (LOB's) being uploaded?

• 2. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
            Just_UD

Not big if there are some transactions. The problem is this instance does not have many transactions so 400 GB is quite a lot. I should also inform that the modules being use are only finance, purchasing and inventory.

• 3. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
              John_K

Please post output of the following queries:

select sum(bytes) / 1024 / 1024 size_in_mb

from dba_data_files;

from dba_segments;

select * from (

select owner, segment_name, sum(bytes) / 1024 / 1024 size_mb

from dba_segments

group by owner, segment_name

order by size_mb desc) where rownum <=10;

• 4. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                Kanda-Oracle

Hi

As mentioned above, just find out the big tables (top 20) . Focus them to purge and defragment to reduce the size.

From my experience, most of the time FND_LOBS grown big. Please explore whether FND_LOBS tables can be required to be purged and defragmented subsequently.

Refer the below note for more details.

Note.829235.1  FAQ - Performance considerations for FND_LOBS

Please check Note 752322.1 as well to purge other tables.

Thanks!

N Kandasamy

• 5. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                  Just_UD

Sorry for late reply. I'm currently not feeling well so can't gather the data yet. Will update ASAP. Thanks

• 6. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                    Just_UD

Query:

from dba_data_files;

Result: size_in_mb - 66607.125

-------------------------------------------------------------

Query:

from dba_segments;

Result : size_in_mb - 49543.375

-------------------------------------------------------------

Query:
                    select * from (

select owner, segment_name, sum(bytes) / 1024 / 1024 size_mb

from dba_segments

group by owner, segment_name

order by size_mb desc) where rownum <=10;

Result:
                    Owner         Segment Name                                          Size MB

SYS             _SYSSMU10_1912268817$                       3411.125

SYS             SOURCE$                                                   3286.7578125

SYS             WRH$_ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY          2061.5

SYS             IDL_UB1$                                                    1766.25

APPLSYS    DR$FND_LOBS_CTX$I                                1741.125

APPLSYS    FND_CONCURRENT_REQUESTS               1430

SYS             I_SOURCE1                                                 1374.8203125

SYS             _SYSSMU19_1227766224$                         1220.125

APPLSYS    SYS_LOB0000057442C00004$$                 1081.375

XDO            SYS_LOB0000216935C00010$$                  985.625

• 7. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                      John_K

So the datafiles are only taking ~60G. Where is it you are seeing a size of 400G?

• 8. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                        Just_UD

Guess I'm not hallucinating then when I said it can't be 400 GB. My team was giving me a screenshot of the backup and the dbf files.

• 9. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                          John_K

Have you checked the instance server using something like the du or df commands?

• 10. Re: Reduce / shrink database in Oracle EBS
                            Just_UD

Not yet. I don't have direct access to the server now but will do it. Problem is, the one install the instances seems put the folders scattered if I'm reading the screenshot correctly.