1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2019 12:15 PM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle

How to avoid core dumps at Forms application server

Anantha Amirtharaj

Hi

Have installed, Oracle Forms builder from ‘setup_fmw_12.2.1.2.0_fr_win64.exe’ file , FMW

Following are system configuration

Processor       : Intel® Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.40 GHz

RAM                : 16 GB

System type   : 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor

in the application server, it generate core dumps at my execute file location. It consume more spaces and it don't create any issue.  we have introduced, two environment variable(FORMS_ABTERM_CLEANUP=TRUE and FORMS_C_STACK_TRACE_TO_FILE=TRUE) at '.env' file to trace this core. But don't create any trace file. please help me following.

1. How to avoid this core dumps?

2. How to trace or open this core to get the detail of it?

3. After introducing this environment variable, where trace file generate?

My application setup is on top of OVM my VM generated. In the VM we have containers with application.  

Thanks,

Ananth

• 1. Re: How to avoid core dumps at Forms application server
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

It sounds like you are diving in too deep before addressing the basics.  You mentioned core dumps. What exactly is crashing?  The runtime, the builder, or something else?

My recommendation is the following:

1.  Don't use 12.2.1.2.  Uninstall this version (including WLS) and install WLS 12.2.1.3 and F/R 12.2.1.3.  There are numerous issues in earlier versions that have been corrected in 12.2.1.3.

2.  I recommend moving off of Windows 8.1.  For similar reasons to move to 12.2.1.3, Win 8.1 had a variety of issues (unrelated to Oracle) that seemed to have been addressed in Win 10.

3.  Regardless of which Forms version you are using, you should always perform a compile_all pl/sql when generating your FMX files.  This can be done in the builder or on the command line if using the command line compiler.

4.  Ensure that you have a current JDK (64bit) installed in the Java 8 family.  Be sure to remove old versions that are not needed.

Trying to analyze the content of a crash dump file is mostly pointless when you don't have the source code.  The main point here is that something is crashing and it should not be.  Starting with an investigation of the surrounding infrastructure is always the best first steps.