11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2019 6:27 AM by Billy~Verreynne

Published document shows previous version when not logged in.

Dude!

Hello,

I have updated VNCpilot - Simple And Secure Remote Access

But when I do not log in I see only the previous version.

Also, while editing, it constantly popped up an error message that the content could not be saved, which seems to be auto-save but this is nothing new. However, not showing the last update is the bigger problem.

It doesn't look like it's going to resolve itself.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
          L. Fernigrini

No, check the upper side of the image:

It must be some content caching on some place between the site and your browser...

1 person found this helpful
          • 4. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
            Dude!

This is some the weirdest issues I've been experiencing in a long time.

I deleted all the caches, no change. I even tried tools that deleted the caches on the complete system and restarted the computer - no change. I also checked the disk for errors.

When I use Firefox it's OK, when I use Safari I see the old document. I created a new user account, which will not have any caches. Same issue, Safari shows the old doc.

If I use VPN to connect to the the Internet, Safari does not show the old document. Keep in mind however that I'm not using any proxy and I'm directly connected to my ISP via a DSL router.

I tried another computer using the same OS and browser versions on the same network and both, Safari and Firefox show the correct document version. This computer uses the same DSL router, albeit connected via Wifi.

When I connect that computer via a cable to the same switch like my other computer, Safari shows the old document too. And again, this is only affecting Safari, and only when I do not login to the community.

So I switched off my Wifi, network swtich and DSL router. This also gave me a new external IP address. The very same issue still remains. As soon as I use the UDP cable, Safari shows the old document. On the computer that I normally use it doesn't matter though whether I use UDP or wifi - Safari keeps showing the old document.

Does this make any sense?

• 5. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
              L. Fernigrini

Not at all !!! But maybe someone that knows better about how browsers use cache on HTTP content can help.

• 6. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                Dude!

I deleted all my cookies in Firefox and then it also showed the previous version of the document. But for some reason I can no longer reproduce this behavior. It makes sense to me that the issue could be related to cookies, at least when considering the login vs. no-login issue. But then again, what do cookies have to do whether you see an older or newer version of a document?

Also, very strange, when I delete all cookies in Safari and then open Safari again, several cookies reappear after several seconds without me connecting to any of the sites, including oracle.com and media-amazon.com.

What keeps pushing these cookies to my Safari browser? They keep coming back by itself for no obvious reason. Why do I get oracle.com cookies even without connecting?

• 7. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                  Dude!

I solved the problem that kept fetching the cookies. It was ~/Library/Preferences//Macromedia/Flash\ Player/

After deleting all the files in that directory, cookies no longer reappear.

The actual issue, however, still remains. When I do not log into Oracle, it shows the previous version of the document. Since using a new user account on my computer shows the same issue it's nothing in my home folder.

On the other computer it still depends whether I'm connected via UDP cable or wifi, which is very strange. When I use public VPN, safari shows the correct document. Again, I don't have any proxy or web caching and connect directly to the ISP via a DSL router. I already reset all hardware and possible caches.

Normally I don't use Safari and I think the issue must be external. Since it matters whether or not I'm logged in I would also not rule out some trouble with the Oracle website. Anyway, I'm out of ideas for now and can only hope the problem is not affecting others.

Regarding the other problem:

I started deleting chapter by chapter to find out if there is any content that it doesn't like... The error finally went away by deleting the first picture in the first box of chapter 3.4. To fix the issue though I had to delete every picture starting with chapter 3.4 and then re-copy them. The error seems to be fixed at least for now. It took me a couple of hours to redo the work.

• 8. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                    Dude!

Whatever the reason was for Safari to keep showing the old version of the document yesterday, it no longer does today. I just did another update of the document and Safari has no issue showing the most recent, regardless of logging in or not. Very strange, but I guess case closed.

• 9. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                      L. Fernigrini

Good to know it is fixed, but quite disturbing that you could not figure out the reason of such strange behavior

• 10. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                        Dude!

Indeed but what can you do? I can't be certain but I'm rather sure the problem was external. I have no reason to suspect any wrong doing, however, considering how service providers are "optimizing" and processing information on the Internet, I suppose everything's questionable.

• 11. Re: Published document shows previous version when not logged in.
                          Billy~Verreynne

I usually test HTTP access/contents, using wget or curl.

This should give a definitive answer - without any potential browser issue like state, or cookies, or Flash issues, and the like.