8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2019 1:23 PM by Beauty_and_dBest

Oracle EBS on DBCS

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

Anybody here able to use EBS on Oracle Cloud DBCS?

Thanks and kind regards,

jc

• 2. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
          Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Vishnu,

I really do not understand how do you migrate on-prem dbTier  to Oracle cloud DBCS.

Becuase in DBCS,  you need to create a dummy database first.  For example you will create a database named PROD.

But it is generic database and not EBS type, with default OracleHome in it.

How do I replace it with on-prem EBS database home? or do I need to replace it? or how do I clone an on-prem dbTier  to DBCS?

Please help...

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
            Maaz Khan

Hi Jc,

when migrating EBS to Cloud, there are set of utilities you should be considering -

1. Oracle E-business Suite Cloud Manager

2. EBS Cloud Admin Tool

3. Oracle EBS Cloud Backup Module

Provisioning a new environment will be done using Oracle E-business Suite Cloud Manager and can be of -

1. Quick Provisioning

2. Advanced Provisioning

Lift and Shift procedures can be performed using EBS Cloud Manager/Cloud Admin tool and it can be done using -

1. EBS environment backup (EBS Cloud Manager)

2. Using Stage area (Cloud Admin tool)

3. Flexible Lift and Shift (Cloud Admin tool)

Below documents will help you understand in detail on advanced provisioning. There are steps to be performed on-prem first to make it ready for cloud migration and vary in r12.1 and r12.2 followed by provisioning your ebs environment on cloud.

Getting Started with Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud at Customer (Doc ID 2517035.1)

Provisioning an Oracle E-Business Suite Environment Using Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager for Oracle Cloud at Customer (Doc ID 2512003.1)

Lift and Shift an Oracle E-Business Suite On-Premises Environment to Oracle Cloud at Customer (Doc ID 2485429.1)

You should start looking for EBS Cloud Manager as there are many features that are being added and it will replace EBS Cloud Admin tool soon.

Regards,

Maaz

• 4. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Maaz,

I already have read and read and study EBS Cloud Manager, but it so complicated to setup, I always ended up with error.

Why do Oracle lump this into one complicated process? Why not piece by piece a task?

Is it possible to do it simply and manually? just one-to-one  migration of EBS database to DBCS.

How to you clone EBS to DBCS using manual process?

Is below steps connect?

1. Provision a Linux DBCS database +ASM

2. RMAN backup on-prem EBS database. non-ASM

3. Copy rman backup to dbcs server.

4. Restore rman backup to DBCS. (does it convert non-ASM  to +ASM automatically?)

5. How do I replace the DBCS OracleHome  from the source(on-premise) pre-clone OracleHome?

6. What things to watch for with an +ASM type of storage? What basic admin task to check for +ASM?

6. What else task do I miss?

Please help....

Kind regards

• 5. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
                Maaz Khan

Hi Jc,

Primary step is to review your current environment that will be migrated to DBCS.

1. EBS version

2. OS details

3. database version.

4. single/multi-node, rac/non-rac.

5. Database Size.

6. On-prem cpu and memory allocation.

Lift and Shift is certified method by Oracle and even Oracle Support will suggest you to go through this method as it is more advanced and evolving day by day.

Summarizing migration process to avoid errors -

On-prem -

1. Verify patches and apply any missing patches on apps tier.

2. EBS Cloud backup module provides you a perl script - EBSCloudBackup.pl

--- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Object Storage is the endpoint where backups will be stored.

--- Backing up and restoring from OCI Object Storage without EBSCloudBackup.pl will further increase your steps.

--- This backup module will collect most of information about your on-prem ebs environment and give you flexibility to choose on staging location and Oracle Storage Cloud Service endpoint.

On-cloud -

3. Once you are done with on-prem activities, you can simply move to your Cloud account and start provisioning it using EBS Cloud Manager or EBS Cloud Admin Tool.

If using EBS Cloud Admin Tool -

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/cloud/compute-iaas/deploying_ebs_cloud_admin_tool/09admintool…

If using EBS Cloud Manager -

Provisioning an Oracle E-Business Suite Environment Using Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager for Oracle Cloud at Customer (Doc ID 2512003.1)

4. You will have to mount stage area in your ebs cloud machine and refer steps mentioned below -

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?_afrLoop=451537261088816&parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=2485429.1&id=24…

Even I will be migrating few ebs customers to cloud and still researching on this. Above are documents I am currently referring to for smooth migrations.

Regards,

Maaz

• 6. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
                  Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Maaz,

I will read and digest the documentations you provide and ask more questions later

brb....

I check the docs and it says to use cloud admin tool....But I am not able to install this

My question is can I migrate using manual process , and do not use the Cloud Manager or Admin tool which is very hard to install?

Can I try the manual way,using

1. create dbcs

2. back ebsdb then rman then restore to dbcs.

Kind regards,

• 7. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
                    Maaz Khan

Hi Jc,

>>I check the docs and it says to use cloud admin tool....But I am not able to install this

Please let us know what errors are you facing while installing the tool.

Manual method is not certified by Oracle and I doubt if Oracle Support will guide you if you encounter any errors when migrating manual way.

Regards,

Maaz

• 8. Re: Oracle EBS on DBCS
                      Beauty_and_dBest

Hi Maaz,

Admin tool is for OCI classic which is going to be desupported

What is recommended now is OCI Generation2, which uses Cloud Manager, of which now Im struggling to install due to its complexities, and my installation encounters errors.

Kind regards,