1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2019 1:16 PM by EdStevens

Can I create a dev database using rman duplicate of a backup from a production standby database?

I would like to create a development database using rman duplicate of a backup from a production standby database.

Is this possible?  If yes,  are there particular steps to follow? 

I want to create the new database in the data center where the standby lives saving copying backup files or using active duplicate across the network.

• 1. Re: Can I create a dev database using rman duplicate of a backup from a production standby database?
          EdStevens

3412933 wrote:

I would like to create a development database using rman duplicate of a backup from a production standby database.

Is this possible? If yes, are there particular steps to follow?

I want to create the new database in the data center where the standby lives saving copying backup files or using active duplicate across the network.

Why would you even question if its possible?

Of course there are particular steps to follow.  That is true of any procedure, and not just in database admin, or even in just computers.

As in all things, start with the documentation.

Duplicating a Database

Just out of curiosity, why do you specify using a backup of a standby instead of a backup of the actual production database?