12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2019 11:32 AM by mxallen-Oracle

What to install on the Linux SYBASE server

rjsosi

Hi,

Were using Oracle 12c.

We want to create a Heterogeneous connection to a Sybase IQ db.

I was reading the instructions for connecting Oracle to Sybase on the the Burelson site.

Only there the Sybase db is on an XP server.

The steps involve installing the ODBC drivers on the Windows server the Sybase instance is on.

The other steps involve adding the Oracle tree to that server, setting the Global _Names parameter, creating and configuring the initdg4odbc.ora db and ,modifying the listener.

So for the steps we have to perform on the Redhat Linux server for our Sybase IQ db, I'm assuming the the steps will be the same except for the installation of the ODBC driver.

So my question is what's going to be different about the ODBC install portion of this set up process? What will I have to so instead?

• 1. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
          L. Fernigrini

You do not need to install anything on the Sybase server, unless you want to install the Gateway on that server.

Here is an example (using Windows and SQL Server) of how you can have the installation on 3 servers:

You can use 3, 2 or 1 server. The only thing to take into account is to keep the components that appear "together" on the same server.

You can have the Oracle DB and the Gateway on the same server and the Sybase database on another. Or Oracle DB in one server and Gateway and Sybase on another. Or the three of them altogether.

• 2. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
            EdStevens

Actually, you can split it up even more than that.

https://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2018/09/19/the-oracle-transparent-gateway/

And ... for the OP's benefit, while my presentation uses SQL Server as the target, it could just as well be Sybase or any other non-oracle database.  The fundamentals are the same.

• 3. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
              L. Fernigrini

I included the link to your document on another ,very similar post.

What do you mean you can split it even more? You have 3 products (Oracle DB, Gateway and 3rd Party Data source (SQL Server, Sybase, even an Excel file)), each of them can be on it standalone server, or sharing a server. How would you distribute them more? It is just a theoretical question, no intend to deny what you are saying, just wanting to learn more in details.

• 4. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                EdStevens

L. Fernigrini wrote:

I included the link to your document on another ,very similar post.

What do you mean you can split it even more? You have 3 products (Oracle DB, Gateway and 3rd Party Data source (SQL Server, Sybase, even an Excel file)), each of them can be on it standalone server, or sharing a server. How would you distribute them more? It is just a theoretical question, no intend to deny what you are saying, just wanting to learn more in details.

Sorry, I overlooked the "You can use 3, 2 or 1 server" and latched on to the "keep the components that appear "together" on the same server".  I stand corrected. 

• 5. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                  mxallen-Oracle

Just to point out one thing, in the original post this is stated

"The steps involve installing the ODBC drivers on the Windows server the Sybase instance is on."

Remember, the ODBC driver (and ODBC Driver Manager on Linux/Unix platforms) must be installed on the

same server as DG4ODBC.  This is key regardless of where you install DG4ODBC in any of the referenced

scenarios.

Regards,

Matt

• 6. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                    L. Fernigrini

Perfect! That was my understanding, but was not sure if there could be an additional way to install/configure them!

• 7. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                      rjsosi

Hi Ed,

I finally got to this thread and saw the article you posted. I actually saw it first on the other thread I started. Thank you!

• 8. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                        rjsosi

Hi L.,

Please see this link to my last post. It might be the key to what's going on as well as how I proceed from here.

Need Debugging help Oracle to MYSQL local single instance install

Thanks in advance.

• 9. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                          rjsosi

Theoretically would I be able to install the listener for the Sybase DB on the Oracle server?

In other words, nothing on the Sybase server except, I guess, for the ODBC drivers. I suppose those are a 'must need'.

So I'm talking roughly about this.

My other question would be, would I still need to install the Oracle code tree on the Sybase server?

• 10. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                            L. Fernigrini

I do not know what is Code Tree, and your graph is not correct.

You do not need to install anything on the Sybase server (but you can install the Gateway if you want).

You may decide to install the gateway on the same server as the Oracle DB. Or install it on a separate server. There are 3 main components, Oracle DB, Sybase DB and Oracle Gateway, they can be all separate, 2 + 1, 1 + 2 or the three of them together.

The important thing is, you need the ODBC Drivers (64 bit) installed on the same server as the Gateway.

If you install the Oracle Gateway on a separa server than the Oracle Database, it needs its own listener.

Here is an example of 3 components on 3 separate servers, they use SQL Server but there are no big differences between whatever you need to configure on Oracle side.

• 11. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                              L. Fernigrini

Have you read EdStevens page? I believe it is pretty clear there (and in the examples I provided) how the Gateway works....

• 12. Re: What to install on the Linux SYBASE server
                                mxallen-Oracle

L. Fernigrini is correct is correct in the layout of the products.

Additionally, and I think I stated this previously in one of your threads, the ODBC Driver (and ODBC Driver manager on Linux/Unix servers)

MUST be on the same server where the Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC (DG4ODBC) is installed.

So, you already have a connection to MySQL working with DG4ODBC installed on a Windows server.  You can now, if

you like, setup a connection from an Oracle DB on Linux, through the gateway on windows, to MySQL by simply

creating an entry in the tnsnames.ora file in the Oracle DB home on Linux which point to the listener servicing the gateway

on windows.

The same would be true if you setup a Gateway connection to Sybase via the gateway on Windows.

Does this make it any clearer?

Regards,

Matt