2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 2:18 PM by BPeaslandDBA

number of processes used by a RAC database EE 12.2>100?

Alain

Hi,

Using Oracle 12.2, 2 nodes, RAC, EE, encryption and tuning pack, on Oracle linux 6 (oracle VM), data guard (dgmgrl).

Question: I created a "simple" database in this cluster  (and a listener) and started it.

Using ps aux | grep dbname, I can see that even if no client is connected to it, more than 100 processes are running on each node for this database.

This seems high to me, is it normal?

• 1. Re: number of processes used by a RAC database EE 12.2>100?
          Dude!

It's difficult for anyone here to see what you are seeing.

I'd say it's normal. What you see might be processes and threads. 12c has better support for threads to take advantage of multiple CPU's. Keep in mind that a single process cannot not run on multiple processors at a time, hence processes in 12c spawn threads for multiple tasks, and each thread can run on a different CPU.

• 2. Re: number of processes used by a RAC database EE 12.2>100?
            BPeaslandDBA

It depends on your configuration. But I have a testbed, 2-node RAC primary that uses Data Guard and the DG Broker with a 2-node RAC standby db. This db is version 19.3 and with no additional config other than what was needed for the standby. One of my primary nodes has 85 processes running with no connected sessions and no monitoring like EM.

HTH,

Brian