7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2020 9:09 AM by Srinath Menon-Oracle

Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem

Ove

Hello All,

Have a webcenter content version 11.1.1.7 where contents are storing in database means we used RCU at the time of domain configuring.

Having approximately around 300 GB of data in content. I want to move the entire content from database to file system for store  . Based on oracle document ,we can't able to migrate the webcenter content from database to file system within the single domain. So i planned to install the webcenter content in separate domain (using file system for content store) and export and import the content from old domain to new domain.

Here i have 2 questions, 

1. I have no idea about how to create a new webcenter domain which will store the content in file system.             

2. Also i am not sure whether the content exported from one domain(using db for content store) can able to import to another domain(using file system for content store) using archivers.

Kindly share you knowledge and inputs.

Regards,

Ove

• 1. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem
          Srinath Menon-Oracle

Hi Ove ,

Have a webcenter content version 11.1.1.7 where contents are storing in database means we used RCU at the time of domain configuring.

Irrespective of content storage or any other configuration installation of any FmW products need to use RCU for schema set up .

1. I have no idea about how to create a new webcenter domain which will store the content in file system.            

By default the domain configuration is set to file system. Post-installation configuration is needed to change it to DB based (JDBC) storage mechanism. So, a new domain will be file system based one.

2. Also i am not sure whether the content exported from one domain(using db for content store) can able to import to another domain(using file system for content store) using archivers.

Yes, it would work. As a test you can select small set of items and export it from source environment. Import it on target server and verify if all the functionalities are working fine.This way it would give you a good idea on it as well can fine tune the migration process.

• 2. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem

Srinath Menon-Oracle

Post installation, Can moving contents from DB to FileSystem also be achieved in an existing domain?  We have a production environment with 3TB DB size. We don't want the DB to grow further due to i) Backups taking longer time ii) Performance iii) Cost

Will moving the contents to Filesystem be a better architecture?

What is the best architecture in the case(keeping in mind easier to achieve). Any specific benefits/deltas of each below:

1. Previous content to be accessible from DB as before & new contents to be in Filesystem

2. All contents to be migrated to Filesystem

3. Partitioning Database repository. 

4. Any other

• 3. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem
              Srinath Menon-Oracle

1. Previous content to be accessible from DB as before & new contents to be in Filesystem

Yes, on the same system 2 storage mechanisms can be set up where 1 would point to DB (old one without any changes) and 2nd one (new) be set up as File based one for new items to be checked into it.

2. All contents to be migrated to Filesystem

Yes, this can be done as well one the new File storage is set up,tested and verified as working fine.It can be done using Archiver to migrate the items from old to new storage.

3. Partitioning Database repository.

https://www.ateam-oracle.com/partitioned-repository-for-webcenter-content-using-oracle-database-11g

Any of these approaches can be taken considering the use cases as in the number of users,items,rate of checkin,n/w etc.

• 4. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem

Thank you Srinath Menon-Oracle. We are testing your inputs on one(UCM1) of development clustered UCM managed server(UCM1 , UCM2).

Does configuration/migration changes on one reflects to other real time or changes has to be done on both?

I hope, it will be no different when we do real time on prod.

• 5. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem
                  Srinath Menon-Oracle
                  Does configuration/migration changes on one reflects to other real time or changes has to be done on both?

Configuration changes cannot be replicated on real time basis but needs to be migrated manually but to automate it to a certain extent you can refer the following KM article :

How to upload and import CMU bundle to Webcenter Content server using RIDC (Doc ID 1985683.1)

• 6. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem

Hi All, Srinath Menon-Oracle

We are also in the process of Migrating contents from DB to FileSystem since we need to free DB size(Our Only requirement). We are following Doc ID 1642986.1.After Export/Import, Files gets available at File system but gets deleted from FileStorage Table. We would like to keep a copy for Few days. Also any other points to be noted before we perform migration on production? Like dispersion Vault path change in default Storage Rule required(We have high volume of files to be migrated)?

Below steps followed:

• Add a new Archive -> Set Export Query ->Actions -> Export (UnSelect delete the revisions after successful export)
                    • Once export operation finishes, highlight the archive, and navigate to the "Import Maps" tab
                    • Click Edit for the value maps->Select the "All" checkbox
                    • Select "Storage Rule" from the field drop down
                    • In the output value, select the new storage rule i.e. default -> click the Add button

I couldn't find & follow the next 3 points in the edoc Doc ID 1642986.1, so I moved next

• Select the New Archive -> Actions -> Import
                    • Pop-up ->  Are you sure ? Import Batched Revisions & Import Tables(auto selected as i'm unsure what they exactly mean) -> Ok
                    • 7. Re: Webcenter content data migration from database to filesystem
                      Srinath Menon-Oracle

After Export/Import, Files gets available at File system but gets deleted from FileStorage Table. We would like to keep a copy for Few days.

Yes, that's correct since Filestorage is the place where the actual item resides if "JDBC" is the storage mechanism. So, in this case since the default storage is "File" and export is done the items will not have any references to this table.

What you are seeing is the right behavior with the entire process.

You can take backup the entire Filestorage table for retention purpose prior to starting the archiver process.