1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2019 4:48 PM by Keyser

OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)

Mint-Innit

Hi all, I appreciate that the correct space for this is probably the Oracle Cloud Customer Connect Community (I think - having gone round and round in circles trying to find where to discuss OCI issues). I haven't been able to set up an account there yet for various reasons but am in the process of doing so.

Anyway, seeing as OCI always free has had the hard sell as a good place for apex development, I'll ask here as well just in case anyone knows the answer.

I have created an Apex app on a free autonomous database. The app is used daily monday-friday. However every 7 days (I think) the DB suddenly stops, and I have to log into my tenancy and manually start it.

So it would appear that the "if you don't use it for 7 days it gets stopped" rule is being tripped. Fine, but I use it nearly every day! Do I in fact have to log into my cloud account AS WELL at least once a week to ensure everything keeps running? If so that is a real pain..

If anyone else is using the free tier for development and has any tips, that would be handy. (yes I tried the free 'chat' support - but I got as much help as expected, being a 'free' user ;-)

Cheers.

• 1. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
          Mint-Innit

Well for the record it stopped again - every Tuesday at around mid day it stops.

atp-stopped.png

the message is clear enough about no active connections. However I use an apex app on this database on a daily basis - so if that's not an 'active connection' I don't know what is. The documentation doesn't define what 'active connection' means anywhere that I've found.

Bit of a showstopper really, it certainly makes it unusable for any serious development or other use. The cynic in me worries that this is 'by design' by Oracle to 'encourage' people to move to a paid instance... 

Cheers.

• 2. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
            Natalie G

"After being inactive for 7 days, the database will be stopped automatically, preserving its stored data. Inactivity measurements leading up to 7 days are based on database connections. Successfully making a SQL*Net or HTTPS connection resets these measurements to zero." [ref] Is Apex making a HTTPS connection to the database, or simply flying around inside of it?

imo giving me something for nothing is not a hard sell, and asking me to check for mice once a week doesn't really change that.

• 3. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
              Birch19

According to Dimitri Gielis blog Oracle have confirmed that their inactivity logic is not currently picking up APEX/ORDS connections properly, hence the shutdowns. Fix currently in development.

For more info: Dimitri Gielis Blog (Oracle Application Express - APEX): Free Oracle Cloud: 15. The request could not be mapped to any d… 

• 4. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                Scott Wesley

If you're application truly has irregular use, it doesn't seem like an attractive option - when it should be.

• 5. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                  Pavel_p

Hi,

this is just a minor problem. If it needs a connection once a week, then just take care of establishing such a connection yourself. Two VMs are a part of the free cloud, so create one if you haven't done yet, create a simple script that connects to your DB and schedule this script to be executed periodically. I would suggest to download SQLcl as it can be very conveniently invoked from the command line.

I think you should be able to accomplish this in a very short time.

Regards,

Pavel

• 6. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                    InoL

Dimitri had this in his blog (a script to just connect to the db on a daily basis), but apparently he removed it (I think it was something like entry "13. Keep it running"). Maybe it wasn't the solution?

• 7. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                      andreml

Aha, the VM's are running without any check for usage?

And if yes- why these but not the DB? (let me guess – less resources?)

I think it would be very gently, if they would implement something, that wakes up the database whenever it's "sleeping" and there is an  incoming call (e.g. APEX/https or whatever) detected.

May be a user gets an error message for the first attempt; however the next try could work…

Best Regards

Andre

• 8. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                        Pavel_p

I'm not sure what you're asking for, I don't even suppose you're asking for something but since your post ends with a questionmark...

I did not read Dimitri's blogpost (I mean not this particular one) however I think it's something that trivial to write a simple script that establishes a connection, eventually executes a sql statement and disconnects, that I don't suppose it needs to be published. Something like

sqlplus user/pwd@instance <<EOF
                        select 1 from dual;
                        EOF

(assuming Oracle client is available and instance is defined in tnsnames.ora) and then just invoke it from cron.

• 9. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                          Pavel_p

Hi Andre,

yes, VM's are running all the time (or I haven't reached the "timeout" yet, if there is any, it's definitely way higher than just one week).

I think it would be very gently, if they would implement something, that wakes up the database whenever it's "sleeping" and there is an  incoming call (e.g. APEX/https or whatever) detected.

It would not make any sense. They obviously want not to consume resources with idle DBs (and I perfectly understand the reasons why). If you want to keep your DB alive, just put some minimal time and effort yourself to keep it up and running (otherwise you don't really need it up and running).

In my opinion we have been given quite a lot of useful "toys" for free, so let's play with them

Regards,

Pavel

• 10. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                            andreml

Hi Pavel,

Even if I don't think I can soften someone's heart :-)

I will try to explain:

1. I think the possibility of the ADB (for free) is great!
                            2. I use them for a small application (till now only this single one) in which I make addresses and historical pictures accessible to all for my former study mates group.
                              Now everyone can keep their own contact details up to date and see those of others. Previously, Excel files were sent back and forth. Not so funny, isn't it?
                            3. This is kind of a serious thing, too...and that's why it should work - anytime.
                            4. And actually I don't need more than the ADB... And I don't want to have to take care of a VM only to keep the DB alive.
                            5. For me this is a contradiction:
                              On the one hand we propagate low code on the other hand we have to create such circumstances for ourselves.
                            6. I do understand too they want not to consume resources with idle DBs.
                              But seven days is definitely too short.
                              Should I create a duty roster and determine who has to register once a week?

In my opinion we have been given quite a lot of useful stuff that we *could* use as "toys" for free - and if we *want*, play with them.
                            But life also has serious sides.
                            And nobody should say that the ADB is not suitable for it - even if it is for free.

I'm pretty sure there aren't (at least curently) thousands of "for free" ADBs.
                            And if that's the case, you certainly have to think about how to deal with it.
                            But why do they hinder prospective interested parties right at the beginning?

There are always arguments for and against.

But that's why we talk to each other :-)
                            Let's keep on talking! - and listening!

Thank you and best Regards

Andre

• 11. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                              InoL

Indeed it was a rhetorical question. I only noticed that Dimitri removed his post, go I just guess that his solution didn't keep the database up and running. Just like logging into your Apex app doesn't keep the database running. Actually, I started my DB yesterday and it stopped again after 10 minutes, while I was working in Apex Builder!

• 12. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                                Birch19

I think Dimitri removed the post as some objected and saw it as an abuse of the service to force it to stay active if it wasn't being used. Ironic really given the issue of active instances shutting down.

• 13. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                                  andreml

Hi,

My ADB-Instanz was down yesterday.

I was (for sure) connected less than 7 day ago.

a) SQL Developer

b) Service console

c( APEX-Builder and App

I think that's not how it was expected by all the folks wanting to use it for something usefull...

Regards

Andre

• 14. Re: OCI Always Free - database keeps stopping. (APEX)
                                    Mint-Innit

Hi all, well it's good that this generated some discussion :-)  A colleague mentioned Dimitri's blog to me this morning (I've been away for a few days). It looks like it was posted after I'd spent a week googling so does come up in the results now, and should indeed mean the issue is resolved soon.

Cheers.

1 2 Previous Next