7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2019 7:57 PM by AndyL-Oracle

Arrow key usage within WipEdit field

Andrew O

We have some users reporting seeing an interesting behavior while using their arrow keys to move around within a free-format field in the WipEdit plugin.  It seems as tho keying the left/right/up/down array key is moving their text cursor/insertion point (as one would expect), but it is also navigating the tree structure on the left hand side of the WipEdit (traversing from page, to form, to formset with using the up/down arrow, and expanding/collapsing when using the left/right arrow keys).

This has the unfortunately side effect of causing the screen to bounce around for the user when their are simply trying to move around within a field.

Is there a way to disable the formset navigation via arrow keys?

Pressing the left arrow key:

• 1. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
          Mr Peabody-Oracle

Interesting. That would seem to imply that both panes think they have focus at the same time. Odd.

What version of the product are you using?

And what browser are you using?

Perhaps you could also determine if the behavior happens when you are editing a regular - non-paragraph - type field?

How about when no field is active? Press F3 to exit the edit mode on the MLT (paragraph) field and then hit the left / right arrows and see what it does?

And how did you navigate to that field? Did you click on the page from the tree to activate that page and field or did you tab there through regular navigation?

Perhaps your responses to one or more of these questions might help narrow in on the trouble.

• 2. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
            Andrew O

What version of the product are you using?  We are using version 12.4.1.35037 of the WipEdit plugin.

And what browser are you using?  Browser is Internet Explorer 11.

Perhaps you could also determine if the behavior happens when you are editing a regular - non-paragraph - type field? Same behavior exhibited.

How about when no field is active? Press F3 to exit the edit mode on the MLT (paragraph) field and then hit the left / right arrows and see what it does? The tree hierarchy moves with the arrow keys regardless of if the field is active or not.

And how did you navigate to that field? Did you click on the page from the tree to activate that page and field or did you tab there through regular navigation?  Simply clicked on the multi-line text field

• 3. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
              Mr Peabody-Oracle

I don't remember anyone mentioning this before, so...

You said it is "some users", so does that mean other users have different browsers? Or perhaps some other difference that might help isolate the difference?

• 4. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
                Andrew O

As far as I know, every user is experiencing the issue.

• 5. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
                  AndyL-Oracle

Andrew, are you using WIPedit in a custom application, or in an Oracle application (e.g. Documaker Interactive)?

• 6. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
                    Andrew O

We are running the WipEdit plugin within a custom application.

• 7. Re: Arrow key usage within WipEdit field
                      AndyL-Oracle

Just a shot in the dark here.... older versions of WIPedit (pre-12.5 I think) can be controlled to an extent by Javascript in the HTML page that invokes WIPedit. An example of this is shown here, in my example of a simple application that's hosting WIPedit. Is it possible that there's some event handler in the custom application that might be doing something awry in the plugin? One possible way to isolate would be to obtain the DPW file that's generated by IDS in your environment and then open the DPW file directly on a test workstation that has WIPedit installed. It should open in the plugin automagically. See if you can replicate the behavior there. If you can't then I would have a look at the code surrounding the plugin. If you can then I would suggest opening an SR with Oracle Support and including the DPW file in there.

-Andy