7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2019 4:04 PM by Gianni Ceresa

weblogic does not have access to catalog folders

user10473801

Dear Experts,

I, successfully, migrated OBIEE 11g (11.1.1.7) to OBIEE 12c (12.2.1.4) using the following documentation:

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/bi12214/lcm/OBIUP/GUID-D0867450-1AEF-43DE-8144-7816F7105CB1.htm#OBIUP-GUID-D0867450-1…

Also, I exported the users from WebLogic embedded LDAP server to the 12c environment from the WL console (export/import)

But, I encountered two issues after the migration:

1- weblogic user has no permissions to edit the contents in the catalog (only view).

2- I couldn't access the migrated RPD file:

When trying to create a New Analysis, I see the example RPD file, not the real one.

N.B.

I unzipped the exported jar file from the migration process and I found that the exported RPD name is "live.rpd" whereas the online RPD name is "xyz.rpd".

..\export\PluginData\metadata\metadata\runtime\datamodel

Regards,

AG

• 1. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

Those 2 issues you had are solved, right? That's my assumption based on the lack of question mark

The name of the RPD doesn't matter anymore, in 12c the RPD itself works in a really different way than 11g, so don't pay attention to the file name but look at the content of things instead.

• 2. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
            user10473801

Hi Gianni,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Secondly, it's OK for the RPD file, but, the issue still persists "two above points".

I compared the "system-jazn-data.xml" file on the 12c server with the one included in the exported jar file and found huge differences (they should the same, right?).

The one included in the jar file is about 11200 lines, whereas the currently existing one on the 12c server is only 3200 lines long!!

Will the issue be resolved if I replaced the existing one with the exported file?

Regards,

AG

• 3. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
              Gianni Ceresa

The system-jazn file also doesn't really work in the same exact way in 12c, and I would avoid replacing it as you could run into more issues than you have.

Start checking in Weblogic if your users and application roles are there. Are you really using the embedded LDAP as the only authentication? That one is more a dev solution and for prod usage it's highly advised to link to a corporate LDAP or ActiveDirectory as the embedded LDAP is a kind of lightweight LDAP only.

For weblogic not having access to the catalog check the permissions with Catalog Manager, for the RPD check with Admintool how does the live RPD look like.

If all those things doesn't show your content I would question if your migration was successful, you were supposed to have error messages somewhere if nothing has been imported.

• 4. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
                user10473801

Hi Gianni,

I didn't get any errors during the migration process and it was straight forward.

Also, we are, only, using the embedded WebLogic LDAP as the only Authenticator.

Application Roles have been, successfully, migrated with the exported jar file.

I have added the "Users" from 11g server into the 12c server using the "export/import" method.

I opened the "live.rpd" file and everything looks good (Application Roles exist).

No issue, as well, with the Catalog Manager.

The only issue now is that the "Subject Area" doesn't appear when clicking (New > Analysis from the Analytics URL), instead the sample Subject Area appears.

Please, review the attached doc for screenshots.

Regards,

AG

• 5. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
                  Gianni Ceresa

You have to check if your applications roles exist at the source: in Weblogic. There is where you can create / delete them, they aren't generated in the RPD, so you have to check in weblogic what's the status of your users, groups and application roles (and their members).

Also check the "manage privileges" page in the front-end to make sure you are granted access to those subject areas.

• 6. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
                    user10473801

Hi Gianni,

I restarted the services and, now, the "Subject Area" is accessible.

Currently, weblogic has no permissions (couldn't Edit) some folders in "Shared Folders". Also, some folders, he gets an error message whenever trying to access them:

"access denied for user to path /shared/..."

Could that be solved by checking the "Manage Privileges" page?

Regards,

AG

• 7. Re: weblogic does not have access to catalog folders
                      Gianni Ceresa

user10473801 wrote:

Currently, weblogic has no permissions (couldn't Edit) some folders in "Shared Folders". Also, some folders, he gets an error message whenever trying to access them:

"access denied for user to path /shared/..."

Could that be solved by checking the "Manage Privileges" page?

Nope.

Permissions are on every single object (folder, analysis, dashboard, page etc.) in the catalog. You have to fix that in the catalog itself.

Catalog Manager can help.