10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2019 8:53 PM by Adam Wickes

OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options

Adam Wickes

Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking a large effort of work to move our existing users (2000+) from 11g to 12c.
      As part of this move, I am looking to apply DR.
      Unfortunately, I came in halfway through and the original architecture was not drawn up correctly meaning that I have to come up with a DR solution on the fly.

As it stands, we have two physical servers (Both Windows 2012R2). One is in our Production environment. The other is in our DR environment. They are separated geographically (so cannot horizontally scale).
      Both servers contain running versions of OBIEE12c that utilise different db schemas. These schemas however do get synced with one another from master host schema to DR host schema (and then vice versa in a DR scenario). Note: Only some tables are being synced. XMLP_% etc

We then have a SAN that currently stores the bidata folder for the production server.
      My hope was that I could also point the DR server to that same folder but that would be too easy wouldn't it. Locks on files not to mention references to server names/ips etc put pay to that.

So now i'm wondering if it's possible to sync the two by just exporting the BAR file from Prod each night and in a DR scenario, importing the BAR.
      The only issue I can see with that is that when Production is fixed, do you sync the BAR back the other way and risk overwriting changes that may have happened between the time the BAR backup was originally taken on PROD and the time PROD went dow

What is the best way of syncing these servers at this point?

Thanks in advance,
      Adam

• 1. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi Adam,

The BAR approach is safe and so disconnected from the original server which allows you to deploy that BAR anywhere, including your DR environment. Just need to make sure the weblogic embedded LDAP also has a process taking care to sync it as it isn't included in the BAR.

You definitely have a good point on what kind of process must be followed when restoring from a disaster situation back to normal. I would say it's more a business decision than a technical one. The BAR is a snapshot at a given point in time. The more often you do it, the less chances to miss something if you restore a BAR back from DR to PROD.

To me it sounds like a business decision:
          - How often to take a BAR snapshot? Could be few times a day, to reduce to possible loss.
          - Is DR really an "active" environment? If your 2000+ users consume content, there isn't anything to sync back when going back to normal, because no changes have been made.

Those questions would drive the business decision of what is the accepted loss in case of disaster: either a piece of the last PROD changes, which will be missing in DR but you could catch up by redeploying Q/A or PRE-PROD or from your versioning system. Or missing new changes done in DR before to switch back to normal.
          With a BAR approach no miracles: you are always going to miss a piece or the other, except if you take a BAR snapshot every millisecond, which is impossible as the BAR will take longer than the frequency.

• 2. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
            Adam Wickes

Thanks for your response Gianni. I was dreading what might be said here as it's pretty clear I haven't followed Oracle's recommended approach to DR.

Gianni Ceresa wrote:

- Is DR really an "active" environment? If your 2000+ users consume content, there isn't anything to sync back when going back to normal, because no changes have been made.

You're right... No implementations would be done in a DR scenario. Power users and their "My Folders" would be the only thing that would be impacted.
            I'm contemplating setting up a nightly export/import from Prod to DR which should be enough. Export took approx an hour so i'm hoping the import doesn't take much longer.

Thanks again,
            Adam

• 3. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
              Adam Wickes

Actually, one question. Is is possible to import a BAR file with the application running or does it need to be stopped?

• 4. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                Gianni Ceresa

Mmmhhhh .... I have a blank right now (damn, I really have to run those commands more often to not forget them!).

Joel Acha & Christian Berg please feel free to cover my missing memory on this one

(probably the answer will come in 7-8h, midnight now here in Europe...)

• 5. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                  Christian Berg

I am sitting in front of this thread and trying to remember what the rule was for on-prem. in OAC we just slam in the BAr and restore live while everything's running. Once restore is done everybody just gets logged out and has to log in again.

Gianni Ceresa I'm not offline yet but just really wondering about the rule that's why I didn't write yet.

• 6. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                    Gianni Ceresa

Good news: soon we will have OAS and on-premises will be just like OAC

I would say that by the nature of the changes the import of a BAR does, a restart is to be expected (or all sessions gone as you say at least). And because of that I wouldn't be shocked if doing it while off is required, but at the same time I remember a blog post of Robin Moffatt where he was talking about versioning of the BAR and deployment and it was done online to replace the RPD contained in the BAR (but it would take up to few minutes to have the new RPD online without restarting OBIS or refreshing metadata). So .... really can't decide myself if it's an action done while on or off :s

• 7. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                      Christian Berg

Gianni Ceresa wrote:

Good news: soon we will have OAS and on-premises will be just like OAC

Amen. I really can't wait for it to finally come out!

Gianni Ceresa wrote:

I would say that by the nature of the changes the import of a BAR does, a restart is to be expected (or all sessions gone as you say at least). And because of that I wouldn't be shocked if doing it while off is required, but at the same time I remember a blog post of Robin Moffatt where he was talking about versioning of the BAR and deployment and it was done online to replace the RPD contained in the BAR (but it would take up to few minutes to have the new RPD online without restarting OBIS or refreshing metadata). So .... really can't decide myself if it's an action done while on or off :s

Same here but it's a bit too late to go search in detail.

• 8. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                        Adam Wickes

Thanks guys.
                        If I work out the answer, I will report back

• 9. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                          Joel Acha

Just seen this. It’s been a busy morning! As far as I’m aware, BAR files can be imported whilst online. You need to be online to run the import script. You just need to reload server metadata to  get the rpd changes online.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: OBIEE 12c Disaster Recovery options
                            Adam Wickes

Thanks Joel. That is great to know!