3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2019 9:45 AM by DubbsNix

Is it bad to have two default routes (same gateway) one tied to NIC,one not?

DubbsNix

Basically as per the subject.  Whar are the conceivable issues with having to default routes whose only difference is one is tied to a network interface and one is not. i.e.

netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
        Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref     Use     Interface
      -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
      0.0.0.0              100.100.XXX.XXX     UG        1          0
      default              100.XXX.XXX.XXX     2       6380 net0
      default              100.XXX.XXX.XXX     2     268875

For extra points is there a way to remove a specific default route, as running route delete seems to always remove the first entry displayed from netstat -rn regardless of of whether you specify a NIC or not.

thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Is it bad to have two default routes (same gateway) one tied to NIC,one not?
          Nohj

Hi Dave,

I am looking forward to the answer to two default routes question, often thought about how it works.

I can answer the second part, if you add the IP to the delete command it deletes the specific route:

route delete default 100.XXX.XXX.XXX

Cheers,

John

• 2. Re: Is it bad to have two default routes (same gateway) one tied to NIC,one not?
            DubbsNix

Hi John,

thanks for your answer but the issue is the two routing entries share the same IP address. So, infact, I have been running:

route delete default 100.XXX.XXX.XXX

The problem is then deletes this entry,

default              100.XXX.XXX.XXX     2       6380 net0

When I want it to delete the one without the interface:

default              100.XXX.XXX.XXX     2     268875

I can delete both then add the interfaced one again, but was hoping to avoid that.

thanks again,

Dave

• 3. Re: Is it bad to have two default routes (same gateway) one tied to NIC,one not?
              DubbsNix

SO to answer my own question:

I cannot find a way to delete a specific default route entry. So my solution was to remove the first entry:

#route delete default 100.XXX.XXX.XXX

then FROM THE CONSOLE:

#route delete default 100.XXX.XXX.XXX ; route add default 100.XXX.XXX.XXX -ifp net0

This then left only the desired entry in place. This was a better method then running #route flush and there was no noticeable impact as the change was instantaneous.

Lastly, the answer is YES having two default routes defined causes problems. THe system uses them both in a round-robin fashion so if one of them doesn't work then you're gonna hit problems roughly %50 of the time.

thanks to everyone who looked into this, and those that contributed.

Dave