1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2020 8:40 PM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Forms Feature Requests
        Frank Hoffmann

This is true Tawfik, but 95% of the Forms developers do not want to add unsupported Java Code into their applications.

You have to maintain the Code, sign the PJC and need to load them on the Client if you want to use them. Most PL/SQL developers have a limited JAVA or Javascript knowledge. They want to stay with pure PL/SQL and use the Forms buildins and native UI Options.

It would be a great help if Oracle would add necessary Java Beans into their existing applet Code (frmall.jar) and all you need to do is to add the implementation class to the item if you want. Or if ORACLE would add options like a new HTML5 look&feel configuration (like they did with SWAN for EBS) that allow a new fency new look&feel GUI. I would call it WEB - as standing for a WEB like design,

This could satisfy all UI goals by adding new implementationclasses (can be done automatically by JDAPI or Tools like Forms Api Master) or

by the configuration of a new look&feel option (mayby in combination by customcolorscheme). In bothe cases you would use supported, tested and reliable ORACLE Code.

Frank

• 16. Re: Forms Feature Requests
          Eng. Tawfik Einea

100% Agreed, but my idea is:

If I got sick with a disease for which only one very bitter medicine is available in the market, I prefer taking this medicine to waiting for an unknown period of time for a sweeter one!.

• 17. Re: Forms Feature Requests
            Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Frank,  this reply is not directed at you.  I just didn't know how else I could make a general comment to the thread without replying to someone.

ALL, let's try using this thread to provide productive feature suggestions.  Everyone in Oracle is already aware of the desire to have the Forms Java client look and work like HTML.

Here are the most common requests we've received so far, so let's avoid repeating them. This is just a list of what we received from customer feedback and is NOT a list of what will delivered.

1.  Improvements to Java client UI

2.  HTML/JS replacement for Java client

3.  More installation options (e.g. standalone Form Builder with lightweight runtime)

4.  Improved integration with other technologies and products

So, if you have feature ideas try to avoid mentioning the above as we are already aware of the ones listed.

• 18. Re: Forms Feature Requests
              Frank Hoffmann

Mike,

first, I wish you and the forms management and development team a happy new year.

Thank you for your clarification of existing requests. There is no need to repeat existing feature requests.

I have one more request from three of my customers that might make you angry. I took all my Courage together and ask for them..

They requested to keep Oracle Reports in the next version (as deprecated as it is now).

Reason behind this is, that they have some very, very complex pixel perfect reports that are hard to replace with Java, BI Publisher or PL/PDF.

They will need more time to finish the reports migration.

I hope you will still talk to me after this request

Frank

• 19. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Frank, I'm always happy to get any suggestions.  However in the case of Reports, that is beyond my pay-grade.  At this point it is unclear what may happen in the next release regarding Reports. That said, we are not planning to release another major version of FMW until at least 2021 so there is plenty of time to move to BI-Publisher.

We will continue to discuss the future of Reports with Execs, but if I were faced with having to make the decision to stay with it or move to BI-Pub I think I would move. (just my personal opinion)  Regarding pixel-perfect reports, BIP generates PDFs so assuming the correct fonts are available, I see no reason why a report similar to what Oracle Reports could generate could not be done with BIP.

• 20. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                  Walid KHARRAT

and what about executing forms as a javafx panel

• 21. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                    Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Walid,  although offering a JFX component, we are not prepared to do it.  Because Oracle no longer has control over JFX we do not want to build a direct dependency on it.  Since we provide Java Beans, you can plugin your own JFX component or any other third-party functionality.

• 22. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                      JeanYves Bernier

Hi Michael ,

Happy new year to you and all members on this forum !

What do you mean by

Oracle no longer has control over JFX

So my old dream of 2014  I had a dream - Forms14Fx  will never come true  (this thread was very popular with 12292 views)

But I'm sure that Forms will finally evolve with a better UI for the next releases and make my dream finally come true.

Regards

JeanYves

• 23. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                        jbosman

- Change the format of binary FMB files to xml or json so we can better use it in source control systems

- Upgrade the editor in form builder so we can do some proper editing  and add intellisense support.

- Perhaps you can build a sql developer plugin to develop forms instead of forms builder?

- Add a layout control (like a canvas) so we can make our forms resizable, the layout control would take care of the resizing and repositioning of the form items

• 24. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

JeanYves Bernier

Oracle no longer ships JFX.  It was handed over to Gluon (URL below) is now delivering and supporting it.  There is also an open-source version, but of course open-source typically has no formal support.

https://gluonhq.com/products/javafx/

https://openjfx.io/

Because Oracle needs to be able to support what it delivers, we can't create a built-in component based on a third-party technology.  This is why if you want to use custom Java code or something like JFX, a Java Bean is the best approach.  We provide the framework to house it and you put whatever you want in it.

• 25. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                            JeanYves Bernier

Thanks Michael for the clarification.

I will follow this thread and especially the UI part as number of our customers are complaining of the forms old fashioned style in a world of responsive web design.

And this has accentuated as we provide also custom apex applications with the universal theme.

So my new dream is now "2.  HTML/JS replacement for Java client" , why not a Forms UT like the Apex UT ?

• 26. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                              Michael Ferrante-Oracle

JeanYves Bernier

Unfortunately, many Forms applications look out-dated because organizations are not allowing their developers to spend the needed time to update them.  Oracle can deliver all the features in the world, but if you don't get back into the application code and make the needed changes the appearance will never change.  You can't just get it for free.  I see more applications that were designed with old-school UI concepts and colors, but when you ask the owners of the apps if they've considered updating them their answer is nearly always the same - "No, we can't or won't make any code changes.".  But at the same time they complain that the runtime looks old and are thinking of moving to an alternative technology.  That makes even less sense.  So you won't make minor changes to your Forms app to make it look and function better, but you are willing to spend years developing something new from scratch. Many of the needed changes to even slightly improve a Forms application can be done literally in minutes.  Even if a few hours are needed, certainly this seems far more cost effective than spending years on a brand new project that has an unknown outcome.  There is no reasonable excuse for an application to look like it did in the 1990's.  That was 20 years ago.  Certainly in the 20 years since the app was rolled out time to update it could have been scheduled.  If not, then it is also unlikely that an organization will install and configure a new product version to consume the new features Oracle might deliver.

Regarding why Forms does not have a UI like APEX, this is because APEX is for developing web (HTML/JS) applications with PL/SQL and Forms is for developing Java-based desktop applications with PL/SQL.  One of the greatest strengths of Forms, other than its ability to do transaction processing, is the fact that it can easily integrate with the user-tier.  No HTML/JS application can do that with its native technology like Forms.  Forms apps run as hybrid web application and native desktop application.  This is where is outperforms others.  If this is not what you need then you might be using the wrong tool for the job.

There are so many examples of fresher looking Forms applications, but for whatever reason some developers just aren't getting it.  You already have what you need to make awesome Forms applications.  Here are a few examples posted on Twitter.  New features that Oracle may deliver will only make it even better, but you will have to touch the code.

https://twitter.com/FriedholdMatz/status/1214911396766461952  (Friedhold Matz)

https://twitter.com/stenvesterli/status/1197190768542257152

https://twitter.com/OracleFormsPM/status/1161362278228230144

Follow on Twitter to see the latest happenings.  @OracleFormsPM

.................................................................................................................................

The views expressed in this posting are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Oracle.

• 27. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                                Richard Harrison

All

Another one that I have just thought of now I have realised it is missing

• Function either within Forms Builder or separate altogether that will compare FMB / MMB files and display the differences. I have attempted to compare FMT files after converting a FMB, Binary-to-Text, but the difference results aren't very clear.

Regards

Richard

• 28. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                                  Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Richard Harrison I like this idea although I'm not sure how that could be implemented without having to reinvent the wheel.  There are so many diff tools out there.  Regarding what your trying to do, use the XML converter and diff those. This is a better, human readable file.  In v12, you can convert to XML directly from withing the Builder.

If you are on a Windows machine, I have found this diff tool fairly helpful.  This is not an Oracle product.

https://winmerge.org/

• 29. Re: Forms Feature Requests
                                    Richard Harrison

Hi Michael

You are correct, the XML version is easier to view than TXT.

What would be really cool if the comparison displayed the results as it is structured in Forms Builder. For example: -

Obviously, this is just a mock-up, but it would immediately highlight where the differences are between files. Especially if the developer has forgotten to document the changes between versions.....

Regards

Richard