2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2019 9:13 AM by Paul Jorstad

ORDS on Tomcat9, slow response

Paul Jorstad

Hello, I have a Tomcat 9 running ORDS 19.1 (Windows 64bit). The problem is that after a while the response on the web services slows down to about 3 seconds. If I restart Tomcat, the services are fast again, 50ms typically. If I then let the system stand still a while (I guess 30mins ++), all services slows down to 3 seconds again. So - there seems to be an issue with caching or connection pooling, but not sure where to look.

• 1. Re: ORDS on Tomcat9, slow response
          EJ-Egyed

What are you setting as your connection pool size in your ORDS configuration directory? That is typically the biggest performance culprit if you are just using ORDS without too much configuration. In your catalina.YYYY-MM-DD.log file, are you seeing messages like the ones below during startup when your ords.war file is being deployed?  If so then you'll need to make some adjustments to your pool size.

19-Sep-2019 14:38:34.037 WARNING [main] . *** jdbc.MaxLimit in configuration |apex|| is using a value of 10, this setting may not be sized adequately for a production environment ***

19-Sep-2019 14:38:34.037 WARNING [main] . *** jdbc.InitialLimit in configuration |apex|| is using a value of 3, this setting may not be sized adequately for a production environment ***

• 2. Re: ORDS on Tomcat9, slow response
            Paul Jorstad

Thank you for replying :-)
            I have modified some values in defaults.xml:

<entry key="cache.caching">true</entry> <!-- changed from false to true -->

<entry key="cache.directory">D:\temp\ords_cache</entry><!-- changed -->

<entry key="cache.duration">days</entry>

<entry key="cache.expiration">7</entry>

<entry key="cache.maxEntries">500</entry>

<entry key="cache.monitorInterval">60</entry>

<entry key="cache.procedureNameList"/>

<entry key="cache.type">lru</entry>

<entry key="debug.debugger">false</entry>

<entry key="debug.printDebugToScreen">false</entry>

<entry key="error.keepErrorMessages">true</entry>

<entry key="error.maxEntries">50</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.DriverType">thin</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.InactivityTimeout">1800</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.InitialLimit">6</entry> <!-- changed from 3 to 6 -->

<entry key="jdbc.MaxConnectionReuseCount">1000</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.MaxLimit">50</entry> <!-- changed from 10 to 50 -->

<entry key="jdbc.MaxStatementsLimit">10</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.MinLimit">1</entry>

<entry key="jdbc.statementTimeout">900</entry>

<entry key="log.logging">false</entry>

<entry key="log.maxEntries">50</entry>

<entry key="misc.compress"/>

<entry key="misc.defaultPage">apex</entry>

<entry key="security.disableDefaultExclusionList">false</entry>

<entry key="security.maxEntries">2000</entry>

<entry key="security.requestValidationFunction">wwv_flow_epg_include_modules.authorize</entry>

<entry key="security.validationFunctionType">plsql</entry>

Also, I have modified the Java options so the process can use up to 1024m of memory, and the process runs now at approx 500m of memory

Still, the response is very fast after a restart, But i slows down to 3 seconds after 30 minutes or so....

I get this message in the catalina log, but not sure how significant that is:

16-Dec-2019 09:19:17.843 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: [d:\apps\Tomcat9.0\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;D:\Oracle\product\19.0.0\client_1\bin;D:\apps\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform