10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2020 9:27 PM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle

FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.

Steve Cosner

I have been trying to install a standalone Forms Builder with an internal WebLogic setup on a new Windows 10 64-bit workstation.  I am able to start the Form Builder, but clicking the Help access returns FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.

The latest solution I can find to this is here:

FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.   -- You "need to run the Forms Builder executable as "Run as Administrator"

It just doesn't seem realistic to require running As Administrator just to be able to view the on-line help.  Perhaps there is a file security issue that can be changed within Windows.   I am hoping someone here can point me to the right place to alleviate this problem.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
          Frank Hoffmann

Steve,

I had the same issue on a single Forms 11R2 machine. It had to do with the Java Version and the related Forms DLLs.

I guess you are having older ORACLE installations on this PC that are disturbing the call. Am I right?

I see two Solutions:

a) is probably the only clean solution

a) Clean up and install again on the client

1. Delete the complete ORACLE tree for 64 Bit and 32 Bit in the Windows registry

2. Delete the complete ORACLE installation with HOME directory

3. Start from scratch and install everything under "Administrator" priviledge (even if you are Administrator) - dont forget the instance Installation at the end

b) Check the path .. is there another ORACLE product which is located before 12.2.1.4? Bring 12.2.1.4 into first Position and check again

Frank

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
            Steve Cosner

Frank, thank you.  You are right, I had already installed some older Oracle applications.  I'll start by organizing the Path, and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
              Steve Cosner

Frank:

Checking the Windows 10 Environment Variables, the Path has NO Entries with C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\...

Yet within the Registry, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_OracleHome1 has many entries with that as the first part of the value.  When installing Forms12, is there no step that sets up the main Path values?  Do I need to do that manually?

In Regedit, the FORMS_BUILDER_CLASSPATH value shows all the following entries (without the NewLines):

C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\jlib\frmbld.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\jlib\importer.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\jlib\debugger.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\jlib\utj.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\jlib\ewt3.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\modules\oracle.bali.share\share.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\jlib\dfc.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\modules\oracle.help\ohj.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\modules\oracle.help\help-share.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\modules\oracle.help\oracle_ice.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\oracle_common\modules\oracle.bali.jewt\jewt4.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\forms\java\frmwebutil.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\forms\java\frmall.jar;
              C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\forms\java\frmwebsocketjsi.jar

Again, do I need to manually add all of those to the beginning of the Win10 Path??

• 4. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                Frank Hoffmann

Steve,

the Forms_Builder_CLASSPATH looks correct. Did you create the Instance at the end of the Forms Builder install process?

Checkbox at the end ... must be set.

Registry should have this entries:

FORMS_INSTANCE C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\forms12214_instance

MSHELP_TOOLS C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\MSHELP

Since the help file is loaded with a Java procedure - are you sure you have a Java Path in your System Path with a 1.8.211+ Java version.

Check CMD, Java -version

In the past I got problems when I did not install everything under adminsitrator. I usually call cmd with admin priviledges and then install everthing. Did you do this? Do you have a Program area with Forms Builder/Forms Compiler in Windows10?

Frank

• 5. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                  Steve Cosner

Frank, thank you.  Answering questions:

Did you create the Instance at the end of the FB install process.  Checkbox at the end must be set.

Not sure about "create the instance".  I did modify

C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\forms\templates\config\forms.conf

and saved/installed to:

C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\base_domain\config\fmwconfig\components\OHS\instances\ohs1\moduleconf

Running the test form from the browser:   http://localhost:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=webstart   returns a web forms window with "Installed successfully!"

Registry should have this entries:

MSHELP_TOOLS entry is the same.

but

FORMS_INSTANCE is: 

C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\base_domain\config\fmwconfig\components\FORMS\instances\forms1

are you sure you have a Java Path in your System Path with a 1.8.211+ Java version?

No, there is none.  JDK is installed at:  C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_231\bin

I added that at the beginning of the system Path, and Form Builder still returns the FRM-18105 error.  Starting Builder "as Admin" continues to work ok.

• 6. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                    Frank Hoffmann

Steve,

this seems to be a Windows priviledge problem on the created Oracle folders. I was installing Forms 12.2.1.4 on a Windows2016 system and had similar Problems.

The adminsitrator could run everything. The User that was remotly connected to the Server under his profile could not run the Forms or Reportsbuilder properly.

What I did was added priviledges on the related Oracle Folders to this user.

Choose the folder C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home from explorer

Click right mouse button and tab security and click on the extension button.

Add or choose the user that wants to work with forms. Add an Minimum entry for read and execute. Click the Checkbox for inherit for subfolder.  

Frank

• 7. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                      Steve Cosner

Frank:  Thank you.   I have already set the security on C:\Oracle, and checked everything below.  C:\Oracle shows "Full controll" for all users (Administrators, Users, Authenticated Users), and all sub-directories show the same.  (I realize this may be ill-advised, but I am the only user on this VM workstation, so it doesn't hurt anything.)

• 8. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                        Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Steve,

Generally speaking, if you did the install correctly and your user is in the Administrator group no additional poking around should be necessary.  So, this brings me to the question, did you complete the post-install steps as noted in the documentation?

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/formsandreports/install-fnr/installing-and-configuring-oracle-forms-and-reports…

• 9. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                          Steve Cosner

Michael,

Thank you for the comments.  I have two questions below... I hope you can answer.

I followed the installation steps in this youtube video (Installing Oracle Forms 12.2.1.4 - WebLogic and Forms Server) since it addresses my Windows 10-64 situation.  (The Oracle web instructions are so difficult to wade through since it addresses both unix and windows, and both standalone developers and production installations.)  The steps in the video follow Oracle's Installing Oracle Forms 12.2.1.4 steps closely, but in the configuration steps, appears to diverge. 

Looking at the Oracle installation steps, within the RCU, does it automatically create the onboard oracle database?

The video instructs downloading and installing an oracle prebuilt VM from :  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I instead used an onboard XE database installed earlier, but got warnings and error messages:

--> ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Advanced replication, which I ignored.

Michael, one sentence that bothers me, under "Installing Oracle Forms as a Non-Default User":

On Windows operating systems, the user must be a member of the Windows "Admin" group. This gives the user the proper permissions required to start and stop processes after the installation, including the Builders.
                          Can you clarify that Oracle requires that even the forms Builder needs to be started As Admin?  That is the reason I started this topic.
                          Finally, I am hoping to restart the entire process on a new Windows 10 VM, and I hope I have better luck.
                          Thanks!
                          • 10. Re: FRM-18105: Failed to start the Help System.  Form Builder 12.
                            Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Steve,

So a few comments in reply:

1.  RCU simply inserts new schemas into a pre-existing database.  The repository is not itself a database.  It is a set of schemas in a db.  You must have access to a db prior to running the RCU.

2.  The user using the Builder must be a member of the Windows Administrator group.  You do not have to "Run as administrator".  That is different.

3.  The steps that need to be performed using "Run as administrator" are explaining in the Installation Guide and I believe in all the cases a DOS shell showing such an elevated window is shown.