0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2020 10:54 PM by Julie Laher

Double checking new 2020 W-4 Calculations?

Julie Laher

I am on JD Edwards Enterprise One Release 9.2.  We have loaded the ESU's for the new 2020 W-4 form.  I'm testing myself, so ran an Interim without changing anything in the National/Fiscal Data or Tax Overrides (meaning I am an employee that did not complete a new 2020 W-4 form).  So that is my starting point for what the Federal tax should be (I've been claiming Married with Zero Exemptions).  If I then pretend like I completed the new 2020 W-4 form and check the Married filing jointly box in Step 1b, and I complete nothing else on the new form, should the Federal tax be exactly the same?  I'm trying to follow the IRS Publication 15-T Percentage Method Tables for Automated Payroll Systems instructions to manually calculate it (they have a worksheet you can use to input your information based on whether the employee has a pre-2020 W-4 form or a 2020 or after W-4 form).  If the tax should be the same in both cases, shouldn't the Federal Tax change if I then check the box regarding Multiple Jobs in JDE?  It seems the tax does not change whether that box is checked or unchecked.  According to Publication 15-T, if that box is checked, the adjusted annual income is not adjusted and if it is not checked then dollars are applied (depending on married filing jointly or otherwise) to reduce the Adjusted Annual Wage Amount.  When I check that box in JDE and then re-run the Interim, it does not change the Federal Tax. 

Sorry that I'm rambling, but I just want to make sure it is calculating as it should and I'm looking for some reassurance regarding my assumptions above.  Has anybody gone through this kind of testing?