6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2006 9:32 AM by 525995 RSS

Precompiled query expressions

I've got an XmlQueryExpression that I cache in java.util.Map and reuse.

About the 4th execution of this causes a crash (ie process stops completely) with:

"Invalid access of stack red zone b1c2afec eip=1ff22d2b"

The query is this (ie is a call of a function defined in an xquery module):

import module namespace mod4 = urn:mod4' at 'mod4.xquery';
      declare namespace tq = 'urn:tq';
      mod4:includesRole($serviceFqn, $aboveRole, $belowRole)

I noticed a while back that a QueryContext must be supplied when a query is compiled, yet a different one can be supplied when it is executed.
        • 1. Re: Precompiled query expressions
          Oops, the question somehow got cut off.

So the question is, are there any particular rules one ought to be aware of when creating and re-using precompiled query expressions? My suspicion is that something about the query expression is leading to the crash (which I can't trace into in my environment).

Jacoby
          • 2. Re: Precompiled query expressions
            So the question is, are there any particular rules one ought to be aware of when creating and
            re-using precompiled query expressions? My suspicion is that something about the
            query expression is leading to the crash (which I can't trace into in my environment).
            Not that I am aware of. If you can, post the code here that is causing your crash.

- Danny
            • 3. Re: Precompiled query expressions
              Gmfeinberg-Oracle
              Jacoby,

Be careful of recursive xquery functions in your modules. They can easily
              run off the stack.

Reusing precompiled query expressions is a good thing, and there are no known
              problems in that area.

Regards,

George
              • 4. Re: Precompiled query expressions
                You are exactly right. Given certain data, my recursive XQuery function went potty.

Thanks George.
                • 5. Re: Precompiled query expressions
                  Gmfeinberg-Oracle
                  Jacoby,

We've got a todo item to limit recursion in xquery functions...

George
                  • 6. Re: Precompiled query expressions
                    This one played out rather interesting.

I found my bug which led to the recursion stack overflow. But I cd reproduce it in Sleepycat XQuery only (not Saxon 8).

I had this in a FLOWR expression:

let $link := $roleData/tq:link[@above eq $aboveRole/@fqn][starts-with( $folder, @folder)]

which was returning tq:link nodes for which the [starts-with(...)] was patently false (and which went on to cause the recursion overflow). My own feeling is, that is incorrect behaviour (see below tho').

Expressing it like this:

let $link := $roleData/tq:link[@above eq $aboveRole/@fqn and starts-with( $folder, @folder)]

removed the problem.

This is bound to be me misunderstanding xpath, really, but comments are very welcome. I suppose I've never really twigged the difference between chained predicates and the boolean 'and' operator.

Incidentally - I only just discovered you can use the trace() function to help debug Sleepycat XQuery from (in my case) Oxygen XML Editor. Nice feature - if you've not discovered this, try it.