4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2020 11:16 PM by 3009602

Can we overcome the limiation of no.of columns with JSON document

Hi,

We have a requirement to create table in Oracle database with unlimited no. of columns.   Since there is a limitation on no. of columns, I am thinking that whether we can overcome that issue by using JSON document got introduced in 12c.   We have a table called PRCA_DIM_KROGER_I and we need to create more than 1000 columns for that. 

Please let us know if that is possible, if so are there any issues in terms of performance while accessing or ingesting the data. 

your inputs are very much appreciated.

Regards

~Uppal.

CONSTRAINT "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1_pr_custatt_dim_key_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("pr_custatt_dim_key")

CONSTRAINT "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1_pr_custatt_dim_key_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("pr_custatt_dim_key")

• 1. Re: Can we overcome the limiation of no.of columns with JSON document
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

a table with a clob/blob with the IS_JSON constraint will give you the ability to stuff as much data in there as you want

performance issues will be determined by how good your data model and SQL is

Having that many columns in a relational world begs the question re: your design, that could or even should be normalized.

• 2. Re: Can we overcome the limiation of no.of columns with JSON document

Thank you Jeff for your quick reply.  I know, it is a matter of Normalization, but our data engineers went with MonetDB instead of looking at design and all.   Since MonetDB is an open source,  I am just finding a way to replace MonetDB with oracle.    Basically we use that table for analytical queries and below is sample query.    Do you see any performance issues to run this kind of queries from JSON document stored in a table?

select sum("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_214_key), "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".pr_custatt_dim_key fr

om "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1" where (("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key not in (13)) and ("PRCA

_DIM_KROGER_1".s_204_key not in (86, 552)) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key not in

(9)) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key not in (6)) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_

key not in (7)) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_208_key not in (30000)) and ("PRCA_DIM_KR

OGER_1".s_202_key not in (5)) and ( (4=4) and (("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_201_key = 2) a

nd ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key = 14) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_202_key = 79) and

("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_204_key = 297) and ("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_215_key = 630)))) 

group by "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".pr_custatt_dim_key                                     

;                                                                                   

Regards

~Uppal

• 3. Re: Can we overcome the limiation of no.of columns with JSON document
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

There are too many variables involved to give you any sort of answer that would be useful to you.

I will say there are many optimizations built into the Oracle Database that can overcome design issues or even bad SQL.

But why hazard a guess, when you can spin up a new Oracle DB in a few minutes, load your data, and give it a try yourself?

Some things you wrote for MonetDB (had never heard of it till you mentioned it, but cool), might need re-written for Oracle to fully take advantage of Oracle features. So be prepared for that opportunity.

I made your query easier to read, Oracle SQL Developer has a SQL Formatter for you...

SELECT SUM("PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_214_key),

"PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".pr_custatt_dim_key

FROM "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1"

WHERE ( ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 13 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_204_key NOT IN ( 86, 552 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 9 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 6 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 7 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_208_key NOT IN ( 30000 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_202_key NOT IN ( 5 ) )

AND ( ( 4 = 4 )

AND ( ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_201_key = 2 )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key = 14 )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_202_key = 79 )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_204_key = 297 )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_215_key = 630 ) ) ) )

GROUP BY "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".pr_custatt_dim_key;

;

and 4=4 -- that will always evaluate to 'TRUE', what's that in there for?

Some of your other predicates could be condensed

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 9 ) )

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 6 ) )

could just be

AND ( "PRCA_DIM_KROGER_1".s_206_key NOT IN ( 6,9 ) )

But I don't see our optimizer tripping over things like that to be honest.

• 4. Re: Can we overcome the limiation of no.of columns with JSON document

Thank you for valuable inputs.  These queries generated by the Analytical server so I am not sure how to change them yet.    However, I am going to spin up oracle and try it and see how it goes.

Thank you again.