7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2020 2:44 PM by Jim Finch-Oracle

Forum  latency?

EdStevens

Are we experiencing some delay/latency in the forums?  I've noticed an unusual number of multiple postings today - either an individual starting multiple duplicate threads, or a reply being duplicated two or three times.  Usually seems to be the case that someone posted, didn't think it "took", and posted again.  And again. 

Seems to be happening in MOSC as well.

• 1. Re: Forum  latency?
          L. Fernigrini

After you press the "Post" button to an answer it "stays" frozen for a long time, normally one tends to press it again...

• 2. Re: Forum  latency?
            L. Fernigrini

Here are a couple of examples that happened to me :-)

It seems to be OK now...

• 3. Re: Forum  latency?
              Jim-D

EdStevens - Yes, I experienced it when posting a reply earlier today, and then deleted my duplicate reply.

It's not unusual to experience occasional latency when reloading my Connections Stream or opening a post, but it's not usually bad enough to impact my posts.

• 4. Re: Forum  latency?
                Jim Finch-Oracle

It looks like one of our communities had a planned series of changes this afternoon that may have impacted latency.

It should be over now, but should you continue to experience latency issues please either report it here or drop me an e-mail at jim.finch@oracle.com.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 5. Re: Forum  latency?
                  EdStevens

James M. Finch-Oracle wrote:

It looks like one of our communities had a planned series of changes this afternoon that may have impacted latency.

It should be over now, but should you continue to experience latency issues please either report it here or drop me an e-mail at jim.finch@oracle.com.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

My use of the term 'latency' was probably ill-advised, insomuch as that probably was interpreted as 'delay in propogating changes across mirrored servers'.  More specifically, I was thinking of whatever would cause a slow response time which, in turn, cause people to keep hitting the 'send|post|add reply' buttons.  But I did observe one case where someone posted the same content (new thread) three times.  The first two were just a few seconds apart, suggesting mulitple 'enter' due to delayed response.  But the third was like 15 minutes later, so perhaps that really was due to replication latency, causing the user to think his earlier posts had not gone through.  Or perhaps he was one of those that thinks the forums are chat lines and if he doesn't get a near immediate response he needs to try again.

In any event, I observed it on both MOSC and OTN forums, so suspected an underlying "load" issue, and was simply trying to bring it to someone's attention.

• 6. Re: Forum  latency?
                    BluShadow

Jim is likely to be referring to work that is ongoing in relation to Groundbreakers Changes  and the side-effects of the Jive software dealing with those.

• 7. Re: Forum  latency?
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

<-- This. We're trying to be as transparent as possible as we move things around. Sometimes you're going to see the system acting weirdly until everything is done. Thankfully, it looks like this batch is over and we're going to assess further changes and the timing of said changes so it won't be as noticeable to the user experience.

Best,

Jim

System Admin