1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2020 10:40 AM by Michael8773

OL7 yum update

Michael8773

Hello,

1. Is there a command option to test yum to see if it can connect to all the sources it needs (I want to perform a yum update -y)?
      2. How can you determine and update an OL 7.x system to ensure it has all the latest repos and related URLs (for use with yum update)?

Thank you,

Michael

• 1. Re: OL7 yum update
          Michael8773

I think I have it down to this:

[root yum.repos.d]# yum list *release-el7*

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

Error: No matching Packages to list

Given the above status for my OL 7 OS, what do I need to do to be able to accurately run: yum update?

Thank you,

Michael

• 2. Re: OL7 yum update
            Avi Miller-Oracle

1. "yum repolist" will list all the repos to which this machine is currently subscribed.

2. "yum search release-el7" will list all the release RPMs this machine can see.

Let's start with those. You appear to have "search-disabled-repos" and 'subscription-manager" installed though which implies this was/is a RHEL7 server, not an OL7 box. You'll probably need to remove those along with other Red Hat packages so as to avoid conflicts with the ones from Oracle.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: OL7 yum update
              Avi Miller-Oracle

What's the output of "rpm -qa | grep yum-plugin" and "rpm -qa | grep release" on that machine?

• 4. Re: OL7 yum update
                Michael8773

Avi,

Thanks for your help.  Below is the output from the commands:

[oracle@lnx01 scripts]$ yum repolist

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

repo id                                            repo name                                                                                          status

epel/x86_64                                        Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                                     13,217

ol6_UEK_latest/x86_64                              Latest Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Oracle Linux 7Server (x86_64)                                946

ol6_latest/x86_64                                  Oracle Linux 7Server Latest (x86_64)                                                               12,465

ol7_UEKR5/x86_64                                   Latest Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 5 for Oracle Linux 7Server (x86_64)                      263

ol7_latest/x86_64                                  Oracle Linux 7Server Latest (x86_64)                                                               16,633

rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64                  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (RPMs)                                                           27,215

repolist: 70,739

[oracle@lnx01 scripts]$ yum search release-el7 > /tmp/release-el7.txt

[oracle@lnx01 scripts]$ cat /tmp/release-el7.txt

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-

: manager

=========================== N/S matched: release-el7 ===========================

mysql-release-el7.x86_64 : MySQL yum repository configuration

oracle-ceph-release-el7.x86_64 : Ceph Storage yum repository configuration

oracle-epel-release-el7.x86_64 : Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) yum

: repository configuration

oracle-gluster-release-el7.x86_64 : Gluster yum repository configuration

oracle-golang-release-el7.x86_64 : Go Language  yum repository configuration

oracle-nodejs-release-el7.x86_64 : Node.js yum repository configuration

oracle-olcne-release-el7.x86_64 : Oracle Linux Cloud Native Environment yum

oracle-openstack-release-el7.x86_64 : Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux yum

oracle-php-release-el7.x86_64 : PHP yum repository configuration

oracle-release-el7.x86_64 : Oracle Software yum repository configuration

oracle-softwarecollection-release-el7.x86_64 : Software Collection Library yum

oracle-spacewalk-client-release-el7.x86_64 : Spacewalk Client yum repository

: configuration

oracle-spacewalk-server-release-el7.x86_64 : Spacewalk Server yum repository

oraclelinux-developer-release-el7.x86_64 : Oracle Linux Developer yum repository

oraclelinux-release-el7.x86_64 : Oracle Linux yum repository configuration

Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.

[root@lnx01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep yum-plugin" and "rpm -qa | grep release

[root@lnx01 ~]#

^^^^^^^^^ There was no output for this commend.  ^^^^^^^^^

What can you recommend?

Thank you,

Michael

• 5. Re: OL7 yum update
                  Avi Miller-Oracle

Michael8773 wrote:

What can you recommend?

You need to split the two commands I sent, i.e. "rpm -qa | grep yum-plugin" is the first command and "rpm -qa | grep release" is the second command. You have enabled OL6 repos on an OL7 machine, so this is badly configured.

• 6. Re: OL7 yum update
                    Dude!

How did you end up with such mess, and how is the following possible:

ol6_UEK_latest/x86_64    Latest Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Oracle Linux 7Server

As rule of thumb, never mix/configure software repositories from different OS release versions that do not match your installed OS release version. So it's either OL 6 or OL 7.

I suggest you do the following as user root to clean the system:

cd /etc/yum.repos.d

yum clean all

rm -rf /var/cache/yum

gzip *

Then follow the instructions outlined in the following URL. You can skip to the part where it outlines:

"To install software from Oracle Linux yum server on Red Hat Enterpise Linux, CentOS..."

I can make this a bit easier for you, just copy the following into your terminal window:

cat >/etc/yum.repos.d/ol7-temp.repo <<'EOF'

[ol7_latest]

name=Oracle Linux $releasever Latest ($basearch)

baseurl=https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/latest/$basearch/

gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

gpgcheck=1

enabled=1

EOF

#

The above will take a while as it's downloading/rebuilding your local yum database. Then install the repositories you need, but don't setup repositories you don't need, as this would extend the time it takes to install software for no good reason. For example:

yum install oraclelinux-release-el7

yum install oracle-epel-release-el7

Then remove the temporary repo you created and the old junk:

cd /etc/yum.repos.d

rm -f ol7-temp.repo *.gz

ls

oracle-epel-ol7.repo  oracle-linux-ol7.repo  uek-ol7.repo  virt-ol7.repo

Done.

• 7. Re: OL7 yum update
                      Dude!

Regarding your initial question.... There is no "dry-run" for yum. However, you don't have to specify "-y" to automatically answer "yes" to yum prompts. Hence you can check the output of yum first, to see if there are any issues. However, if I remember correctly, yum will throw an error if there are problems and automatically abort prior to installing anything. Therefore giving you an option to correct any issues.

Also, as a general rule, if a system really matters, make a backup before applying any patches or installing software, but that's a different thread. Keep in mind that there can always go something wrong while installing, e.g. system crashing, disk failure, someone cutting off the network cable, etc.

• 8. Re: OL7 yum update
                        Michael8773

Avi,

Thank you for clarifying that.  The second command did have some output (below):

[root@mlbltdnasolov01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep yum-plugin

<<<There was no output>>>

[root@mlbltdnasolov01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep release

redhat-release-server-7.7-10.el7.x86_64

epel-release-7-12.noarch

flash-plugin-24.0.0.186-release.x86_64

[root@mlbltdnasolov01 ~]#

Please let me know your advice based on the output.

Thank you,

Michael

• 9. Re: OL7 yum update
                          Michael8773

Thank you all for the other responses.  This has only ever been an OL7 system.  Never a OL6 version system.  Somehow in trying to ensure yum could get to all the files it needed I must have enabled grabbing the older files.  I went ahead and did Dude's two suggestions below:

cat >/etc/yum.repos.d/ol7-temp.repo <<'EOF'

[ol7_latest]

name=Oracle Linux $releasever Latest ($basearch)

baseurl=https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/latest/$basearch/

gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

gpgcheck=1

enabled=1

EOF

#

cd /etc/yum.repos.d

yum clean all

rm -rf /var/cache/yum

gzip *

I am unclear though exactly what needs to be done next.  Plus I want to see what Avi suggests after seeing the output.  I just want to get the Linux system back to where I can do routine patches again.  Can I simply issue a yum update at this point or are their some other essential configs you would recommend?  Sorry I am new to this.

Thanks again for you help,

Michael

• 10. Re: OL7 yum update
                            Dude!

Just follow the documentation. Next would be to add the GPG key (RHEL 7)

http://yum.oracle.com/faq.html#a10

Then install oraclelinux-release-el7 as mentioned.

• 11. Re: OL7 yum update
                              Michael8773

Dude,

I performed the following:

# wget https://yum.oracle.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle-ol7 -O /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

# gpg --quiet --with-fingerprint /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

pub  2048R/EC551F03 2010-07-01 Oracle OSS group (Open Source Software group) <build@oss.oracle.com>

Key fingerprint = 4214 4123 FECF C55B 9086  313D 72F9 7B74 EC55 1F03

yum install oraclelinux-release-el7

Is this ok [y/N]: y

Running transaction check

Running transaction test

Transaction test succeeded

Running transaction

Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum.

Installing : oraclelinux-release-el7-1.0-8.el7.x86_64

Verifying  : oraclelinux-release-el7-1.0-8.el7.x86_64

rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64/productid

Installed:

oraclelinux-release-el7.x86_64 0:1.0-8.el7

Complete!

yum install oracle-epel-release-el7

Total download size: 14 k

Installed size: 18 k

Is this ok [y/d/N]: y

Is this ok [y/d/N]: y

Downloading packages:

oracle-epel-release-el7-1.0-2.el7.x86_64.rpm

Running transaction test

Transaction test succeeded

Running transaction

Installing : oracle-epel-release-el7-1.0-2.el7.x86_64

Verifying  : oracle-epel-release-el7-1.0-2.el7.x86_64

Installed:

oracle-epel-release-el7.x86_64 0:1.0-2.el7

Complete!

Looks like I am all set to do (yum) updates as normal now.  Do you concur?

Thanks,

Michael

• 12. Re: OL7 yum update
                                Dude!

Yes, nothing can stop you now.

• 13. Re: OL7 yum update
                                  Dude!

Just seeing "Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum...." You might get that message after using rpm directly. You can try "yum history new" or "yum history sync" to get rid of it, or don't worry about it.

• 14. Re: OL7 yum update
                                    Michael8773

Dude,

I created a quick VM and tested everything you showed me and it worked great!

I'll try it tonight on my target system.

Thanks!

Michael

1 2 Previous Next