8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2020 4:35 PM by dohdatabase-Oracle

Oracle Database Patch Question

Hi All,

We recently upgraded our Oracle database from 12.2.0 to 19.3.0. After the upgrade I see that oracle applied the patch (29517242 Released on Apr 18, 2019). My question is, what patches do I need to apply to 19.3.0 database? I am not sure what all patches I need to apply, and looking for some help. I am sure some of you have been through this, please let me know the patch details.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question
          BPeaslandDBA

The original 19c release was technically the 19.0 version. This was available in the cloud only.

After 19.0 was released, Oracle put out its quarterly Cumulative Patch Update (CPU) for 19c. The Release Update (RU) in that CPU changes the version to 19.1. The next RU the next quarter changes the version to 19.2 and so on.

When Oracle decided to release 19c for on-prem downloads, the 19.3 RU was already out. So the version they gave us to download is the 19.3 version.

You should continue to apply the RU quarterly. As the CPU name states, the patches are cumulative so if you've missed a few quarters, just download the latest/greatest RU and you will be up-to-date.

Read this to find out how to get the RU: http://www.peasland.net/2017/11/08/where-are-my-patches/

I wrote that before RU's were part of the CPU patches, but that basic information is still there. You will need a MOS account and a valid support contract to be able to download the patches.

HTH,

Brian

• 2. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question

Thank You for the response!. The blog is very good. One more question. I am still in the learning curve in applying patches. When I log on to OTN and click on  patches & updates, I see the following patches for 19c. If I apply the latest patch Patch 30557433 will it take my database version from 19.3.0 to 19.6.0? Please let me know

NameDownload Link
            Database Release Update 19.6.0.0.200114Patch 30557433
            Grid Infrastructure Release Update 19.6.0.0.200114Patch 30501910
            OJVM Release Update 19.6.0.0.200114Patch 30484981
            Database Release Update Revision 19.5.1.0.200114Patch 30446054
            Grid Infrastructure Release Update Revision 19.5.1.0.200114Patch 30464035
            Database Release Update Revision 19.4.2.0.200114Patch 30446228
            Grid Infrastructure Release Update Revision 19.4.2.0.200114Patch 30463911
            (there were no OJVM Release Update Revisions for Jan 2020)

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?_afrLoop=379651763169180&parent=EXTERNAL_SEARCH&sourceId=REFERENC…

• 3. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question
              dohdatabase-Oracle

Hi,

I suggest that you use the following MOS note:

Assistant: Download Reference for Oracle Database/GI Update, Revision, PSU, SPU(CPU), Bundle Patches, Patchsets and Base Releases (Doc ID 2118136.2)

Select "Oracle Database Updates (Versions 12.2 & higher)" and then "19.0.0.0" to see all the Release Updates for Oracle Database 19c. I am assuming you are not using RAC so select the link in the "Database Update" column (unless you are on Windows) which brings you to the platform selection page. Find your platform, e.g. Linux x86-64 (American English) and the download.

Patch installation instructions are in the readme - which you can also download seperately.

To answer your last question: The patches - or Release Updates - are cumulative. So if your database is on 19.3.0 and you have a 19.6.0 Release Update, you can use that patch to go all the way up to 19.6.0.

Regards,

Daniel

• 4. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question

Great, thank you for the explaining in detail. I will try applying them.

Thank You!

• 5. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question
                  BPeaslandDBA

If I apply the latest patch Patch 30557433 will it take my database version from 19.3.0 to 19.6.0?

That is correct. When you apply the next quarter's patch, it will go to 19.7.

Cheers,

Brian

• 6. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question

Sorry t bother you with another question on post patching. I have applied the patches 19.6.0 to one of our Oracle databases. Now I am copying this Oracle home to upgrade other 12c databases. I know that the patches go along with when we copy/clone Oracle home to another database. Question is, do I need to apply the post patch steps after the upgrade on all other databases? Please let me know.

thanks

• 7. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question
                      BPeaslandDBA
                      Now I am copying this Oracle home to upgrade other 12c databases.

This is not the best approach. Aside from the ORACLE_HOME, you also have the OraInventory describing the homes and you aren't moving that.

A better approach is to just apply the patch on the other servers, just like you did the first. It will probably be the same amount of effort and will leave you with an installation that you know Oracle Support will still support you on. If you just copy the software directory around and you run into issues at a later time, Oracle Support may want you to install the software anew.

Question is, do I need to apply the post patch steps after the upgrade on all other databases?

No matter how you get the patches on the other database servers, you will need to run the datapatch utility on each and every database.

Typically when you patch a database, and this goes for just about any database out there, not just Oracle...you will apply patches to the software and then you will run something to patch the inside of the database. Oracle uses the datapatch utility to perform this function. Its a two step process. If you have two databases running out of the same ORACLE_HOME on the same server, you will run opatch to patch the software and this will only need to be done once since there is only one ORACLE_HOME. But you will need to run datapatch twice, once for each database.

Cheers,
                      Brian

• 8. Re: Oracle Database Patch Question
                        dohdatabase-Oracle

You can't just copy the Oracle Home. In that case you need to do a cloning which is very well described in the documentation. This is for instance the procedure on Windows (I don't know what platform you are on):

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/12.2/ntdbi/cloning-an-oracle-home.html#GUID-CBCE1594-C6C2-42A…

Whether or not to run datapatch after a database upgrade depends on the tool/procedure you are using. I suggest that you use AutoUpgrade which will do it for you:

https://www.oracle.com/a/otn/docs/database-upgrade-quick-start-guide.pdf

On the other hand, it is safe to run datapatch multiple times, and it can even be done when the database is running (but keep activity as low as possible, no stats gathering, datapump, queues or the like). Just run it and ensure that it says that there is nothing to be done.

Regards,

Daniel