11 Ответы Последний ответ: 01.04.2020 12:59, автор: fac586

uploading document file to a network drive

gkthomas

Friends I need your kind help on this.  From an apex form I have to upload and download documents.   I have done this before uploading the document to database and download from database.  However my current requirement is to upload to a network drive and download from there. 

Can someone guide me

I am on apex 4.2

Thanks a lot

George

• 1. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
          TexasApexDeveloper

First off I would HIGHLY recommend you update yor apex instance to something more current.. 4.2 I believe is not a supported version at this time..  Second, you want to upload and download documents from the file system versus a database?

Please explain the use case for this, since it would make more sense to store them in the database, unless you have users needing o access them outside your application.

Thank you,

Tony Miller

Los Alamos, NM

• 2. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
            InoL
            However my current requirement is to upload to a network drive and download from there.

Some ideas:

- Use external files (bfile).

- Make the files available on the webserver and link to the file (for downloads only).

- Use the standard Apex upload functionality to an upload table and write the file to the file system after upload.

On the other hand: what's the specific use if it is on a network drive. Do the users have access to that drive?

• 3. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
              gkthomas

Tony

This is  my employer's  installation, They are not ready to upgrade yet.   I wish they upgrade too.  Right now I have no choice but to work on( i am an employee) .  They are storing all their documents in a remote azure server  Which is available to the users via other applications.  So technically I need only to upload, not download. 

Can you give me some guidance.

George

• 4. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                gkthomas

Sir, thanks for the reply. Would you please give little more details.  I am not very advanced in APEX

George

• 5. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                  InoL
                  Would you please give little more details.  I am not very advanced in APEX

There is no Apex functionality involved in external files. It is handled via the database e.g. as a BFILE.

Since you are now adding additional information that your files are stored on an Azure cloud server, I think things will change. Can the database access this server? Are there webservices on Azure to handle file transfer?

• 6. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                    gkthomas

Now I have PL/SQL procedure the  provided by the other team  to load the file to Azure cloud.  I dont  have to worry about that part.

however I need help  to load files ( more than one files)  and get the file information in a collection and use to call the procedure.  With normal file browse can I upload multiple files?  How can I get this information to a collection .

Thanks

George

• 7. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                      InoL

I need help  to load files ( more than one files)

That's a property of a File Browse item: "Allow Multiple Files"

in a collection

Why a collection? Just use the standard APEX_APPLICATION_TEMP_FILES and process from there. It's more or less the same as a collection (temporary storage).

Allow Multiple FileWhys

1 пользователь считает эту информацию полезной
                      • 8. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                        gkthomas

InoL

Thanks for the reply.  My employer's  Apex version is 4.2. I don't see any option to " allow multiple files" in File Browse item property .  Also in the storage type there are only 2 options.  Custom table BLOB or WWV_FLOW_FILES.   Will APEX_APPLICATION_TEMP_FILES work with version ?

Thanks
                        George

• 9. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                          fac586

gkthomas wrote:

Thanks for the reply. My employer's Apex version is 4.2. I don't see any option to " allow multiple files" in File Browse item property.

4.2 does not have built-in support for multi-file upload. See if you can find an old 4.2-level plug-in that does.

Also in the storage type there are only 2 options. Custom table BLOB or WWV_FLOW_FILES. Will APEX_APPLICATION_TEMP_FILES work with version ?

APEX_APPLICATION_TEMP_FILES was introduced in APEX 5.0. WWV_FLOW_FILES (aka APEX_APPLICATION_FILES) is the 4.2 equivalent, but you will have to manage the files yourself as they are not automatically purged at request or session level.

Now you are getting some indication of what you are up against when using an unsupported version. Very few people will still have access to a 4.2 installation so they cannot develop and test version-compatible solutions to your problems. A number of forum users who could now be considered "experts" have no experience with anything older than 5.x, aren't aware of the differences, and will provide potentially misleading advice.

Your employer may not be "ready to upgrade yet", but I bet that they are quick enough to complain about deficiencies in APEX that do not exist in the current version. I also reckon that this reluctance to upgrade doesn't extend to Windows and Java...

• 10. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                            gkthomas

fac586,

Thanks for your detailed support.  I gave my personal concern many times to the employer about upgrade.  They are still very slow on this.

One more question. 
                            Is there any option with Javascript to make Multiple file for  file browse

Thanks a lot

George

• 11. Re: uploading document file to a network drive
                              fac586

gkthomas wrote:

Is there any option with Javascript to make Multiple file for file browse

Not on its own. There has to be a server component capable of receiving multiple files.

What web server are you using?