3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2020 1:49 PM by jaramill

1Z0-071 - I'm very confused about what version of Oracle Database serves as the judge, jury and executioner for the correct answers???

RedWhiteNBlue

I've been studying some test material to prepare for taking, and hopefully passing, the 1Z0-071 OCA exam. I came across a question asking me whether it was valid to execute a scalar subquery in a HAVING clause. And my first instinct was, "Of Course you can". But as I was discussing this with another person they suggested that it is not valid. So, I tried it in SQL*Plus on my local system. Version 18.4.0.0.0. And it works. This prompted further investigation into the situation. Later, I discovered that in the sql language reference manual version 12c that scalar subquerys were restricted in the HAVING clause. I looked in sql language reference manual version 19c and I see 2 less restrictions and 1 restriction has been modified. Of course, it's the GROUP BY ... HAVING ... clause that has been modified to just the GROUP BY clause.

So, my question is very simple, when I'm taking my Oracle 1Z0-071 on exam day, what version of Oracle's database am I ... actually being tested on ... ???

• 1. Re: 1Z0-071 - I'm very confused about what version of Oracle Database serves as the judge, jury and executioner for the correct answers???
          jaramill

RedWhiteNBlue wrote:

So, my question is very simple, when I'm taking my Oracle 1Z0-071 on exam day, what version of Oracle's database am I ... actually being tested on ... ???

If you read the information regarding Oracle certification exam 1Z0-071 (Oracle Database SQL) it clearly states in this link --> https://education.oracle.com/oracle-database-sql/pexam_1Z0-071

but I will copy/paste it and show you (I enclosed in a red box the relevant information).  So my guess is that you misunderstood the question and simply got it wrong.  But failing the exam on one question, you'll never know as you only know how MANY answers you got correct out of the minimum required to pass.  So 63% of the 78 questions is 49.1  I don't know if Oracle rounds down or up but to be safe, I'd assume that 50 correct answers is the minimum to pass the exam.

There is no judge/jury/executioner.  It's either you know the material based on the version, or you do not.  But you can retake it again but now just study "smarter", not necessarily "harder".  Read the online documentation for SQL for starters.

• 2. Re: 1Z0-071 - I'm very confused about what version of Oracle Database serves as the judge, jury and executioner for the correct answers???
            RedWhiteNBlue

Thank you for attaching an image of the web page I have read many times prior to posting this question. I never stated in my original post that I had taken the exam. But that I was preparing to take the exam. Since, posting the original message I have actually already taken the exam and passed. But your highlighting the most pertinent reason for my post from the very beginning. The vagueness of the data in the red box. We are given a range value as the target of the exam. At best, I could assume that version 19c trumps any past behaviors. But it's a very ambiguous statement. One that should be made more clear.

What's the purpose of telling me that the exam has been validated against 11g all the way up through 19c if 19c is all that matters?

• 3. Re: 1Z0-071 - I'm very confused about what version of Oracle Database serves as the judge, jury and executioner for the correct answers???
              jaramill

RedWhiteNBlue wrote:

Thank you for attaching an image of the web page I have read many times prior to posting this question. I never stated in my original post that I had taken the exam. But that I was preparing to take the exam. Since, posting the original message I have actually already taken the exam and passed. But your highlighting the most pertinent reason for my post from the very beginning. The vagueness of the data in the red box. We are given a range value as the target of the exam. At best, I could assume that version 19c trumps any past behaviors. But it's a very ambiguous statement. One that should be made more clear.

What's the purpose of telling me that the exam has been validated against 11g all the way up through 19c if 19c is all that matters?

Because there may be a function that did exist in 11g but not in 19c, so they may ask about any function.  Yes it is vague but if you study the 19c documentation you should be fine.

Congrats on passing the exam and apologies as I had misunderstood that you had already taken the exam.  They are tough exams but worth the effort in studying.

1 person found this helpful