8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2020 11:48 PM by RedWhiteNBlue

"However, you can force a ‘thick’ connection via your Oracle Client by using the –oci flag on your connect string." - Can I get an example please?

RedWhiteNBlue

This question is related to my original thread about why I cannot connect as sys/oracle using SQLcl. I can connect as regular users, which is a bit odd.

https://community.oracle.com/thread/4315364

I've been trying to connect to my Oracle Database server on local Windows 10 machine using the sys/oracle account. I can do this with little trouble using SQL*Plus but not SQLcl. I came across this information in the FAQ for SQLcl.

"Does it require an Oracle Client?
      No. SQLcl is a java applications and by default uses Oracle’s JDBC driver to connect to Oracle Database. However, you can force a ‘thick’ connection via your Oracle Client by using the –oci flag on your connect string."

I have tried launching SQLcl from my Windows command prompt like: SQLCL -oci. This doesn't seem to do anything really.

I've tried a couple of different connection strings where I tried adding the -oci flag to the end. But I'm not sure about whether it has to be on the command-line of my operating system (Windows 10) before I even launch SQLcl or can it be at the end of the connect string once SQLcl is launched?

Something like: sql sys/oracle@XEPDB1 as sysdba -oci

I just haven't been able to make it work.

Here is a new picture I took using the lsnrctl services command since I just realized that this program works on Windows 10 also.

Kb3TUQZ.png

Here's a screenshot of my attempts to connect:

O6XSW8m.png

Could somebody please explain what this means: "

-oci        Set this to use an Oracle Instant Client installation.

If this option is set, then SQLcl will use the drivers

from the first Installation on the path."

How do I check all possible drivers that are installed on my system?

Message was edited by: RedWhiteNBlue