4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2020 1:39 PM by 1038345

Impact of EBS Database modification on license requirement

Hi,

I have been reading a lot of documentation on EBS licensing rules lately and I understood (well I hope) that if you make modifications to the EBS database such as create a PL/SQL package, you have to get Oracle Server Enterprise Edition (OSEE) and Oracle Application Server Enterprise Edition (OIASEE) licenses. But so far it is not clear to me, at all, how many licenses are required.

I work with EBS 12.1.3 on 11gR2 DB (Enterprise Edition) and what I would like to do is the following:

1- Create a PL/SQL package and create a view.

2 -The view gathers data from several tables in AP.

3- The PL/SQL package gets a CSV file from an external system, check the data against the info from the custom view, puts the data into the AP Invoice Open Interface tables and finally triggers the standard EBS Invoice Import program.

4- Create a Concurrent Program that uses the PL/SQL package.

5- The Concurrent Program should be launched by EBS users with a Payables responsibility.

6- The Concurrent Program should also be scheduled once a day.

If I do all this, could someone tell me how many OSEE and OIASEE should my company be purchasing?

Any help, hints, facts ... would be greatly appreciate!

Cheers,

Lilian

• 1. Re: Impact of EBS Database modification on license requirement
          Sylvain Martel

Hello 1038345,

Since your EBS instance doesn't look like it's a fresh installation (R12.1.3 on DB 11gR2 is not exactly new...), I'm a bit surprised that this is the first extension your organization is about to do.  The basic rule is, as soon as you are doing any customization or extension, you need to pay full licenses fees for both database and middleware (in your case OHS being the web server component).  So if this is the first customization or extension ever, well yes you need to talk to your friendly Oracle rep.

As described by Nadia Bendjedou in this blog (https://blogs.oracle.com/ebsandoraclecloud/licensing-ebs-on-oracle-cloud ), Oracle E-Business Suite is licensed by user per product or module, and EBS licenses are required for production use only.  Oracle E-Business Suite comes with restricted-use Database Enterprise Edition (DB EE) and Application Server Enterprise Edition (AS EE) licenses.  Full licenses for DB EE and AS EE are required to run EBS with customizations.

So the answer for you is to tell the ERP owner in your organization that you need to buy licenses for production.  That's the only license you need.  You can have as many non-prod instances as you wish, that doesn't impact licensing. 

Also, make sure that the modules you are using in your extension are all licensed as well for the users that it will serve.  Otherwise, depending on the type of extensions you are creating, an audit might come and bite you in the neck in the future.  In your case, make sure you are properly licensed on Payables (AP).

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Impact of EBS Database modification on license requirement

Hi,

First... Well, it is funny to see that the first reaction is to suspect/assume we are doing unauthorized things... Anyways.

We are facing the fact that the number of invoices from a transporter company, which are currently manually created by one EBS user having proper Payables licenses, is increasing in a way that automation could be of a great added value for us. Knowing that the modifications that could provide this automation (PL/SQL package + view) require Oracle IAS EE licenses, we need to assess the number of licenses required.

We have many unanswered interrogations like such as: do we need to purchase as many IAS licenses as we have EBS modules licenses? Just as many as  FINANCIALS licenses?

Unfortunately for us, after several reading of the Oracle documents concerning licensing issues, we are not able to figure out what number of licenses is exactly required... That's is why we are trying forums and community to get info from people that have experienced the same situation or have the knowledge and in a rather quick timing!

Anyway, thank your answer.

Cordially,

• 3. Re: Impact of EBS Database modification on license requirement
              Sylvain Martel

Hello 1038345,

I think you misread my first thought of your post.  I don't assume you guys are doing unauthorized activities.  There are organizations that are using EBS totally out-of-the-box (very few...), and in that case they never have to worry about buying the full licenses for the DB and the middleware.  So if you already have created extensions or customizations in the past, chances are your organization had already bought those licences, if not, that's the first step.  But from what I gather from your comment, it looks like you're all set.

Your use case is a good one.  I've seen this use case many times before (in government, financial institution, etc,) and there is no need to additional licenses.  You have AP licenses based on the user(s) that is already keying in in the AP Workbench.  Importing invoices from a CSV instead of keying them in, is all good and a common practice in EBS organizations.  The number number of invoices lines has no impact on licensing either.

Disclaimer: EBS licensing programs have evolved over the years so you need to validate your contract with Oracle to be absolutely sure, but typically, for Payables, as long as you have user licenses, you are good to use the interface tables and concurrent program to import invoices from a CSV.    There are variations in other modules.  For example, if you would create an interface for iExpense, the licensing program is based on the number of lines of expenses reports you are pumping in.  So it depends...

Regards.

• 4. Re: Impact of EBS Database modification on license requirement

Thank you for this new answer. But, my confusion remains.

To my understanding, if we do manually insert data into the AP Invoice Open Interface tables and then EBS Payables user launches manually the starndard EBS Invoice Import Concurrent Program: we're good.

But reading the application-licensing-table-070571.pdf document, out of the box EBS includes Restricted Use Oracle Application Server Enterprise Edition.

But the fact of creating in the EBS DB (APPS schema) a PL/SQL package to automate the insertion of records into the AP Invoice Open Interface tables from the CSV file has the consequence of a requirement of Oracle Application Server Enterprise Edition Full Use licenses.

Cordially.