8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2020 5:55 PM by Dude!

db_home.zip

spiderwoman

Linux 7

Current DB 12.x

Install 19c

I am not clear reading various docs on how to obtain the db_home.zip which is needed for image based install?

I am not clear where to unzip it (the docs says /tmp)

• 1. Re: db_home.zip
          EdStevens

spiderwoman wrote:

Linux 7

Current DB 12.x

Install 19c

I am not clear reading various docs on how to obtain the db_home.zip which is needed for image based install?

I am not clear where to unzip it (the docs says /tmp)

Exactly where are you seeing a reference to a file named 'db_home.zip'?  That is not the name of any of the media distribution files.

• 2. Re: db_home.zip
            Dude!

What docs?

You can download the image based installation from the usual places. For example:

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/oracle19c-linux-downloads.html

You typically start with downloading and installing GI to setup Oracle ASM.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/cwlin/index.html

After you have completed all preinstallation steps, such as creating directories, creating the necessary system groups and setting permissions, you extract the zip file to the appropriate Oracle software (ORACLE_HOME) directory. For example:

$ mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle/product/19.0.0/grid

$ cd /u01/app/oracle/product/19.0.0/grid

$ unzip -q /tmp/grid_home.zip

/tmp in the above example is not the installation destination, but the path where you downloaded the zip file. Notice the difference between unzip -q (quiet mode) and unzip -d. The later specified the destination. The zip file in the given example will be extracted to your current working directory. If space permits you could also copy the zip file to the grid home directory and extract using unzip -q ./grid_home.zip. Then delete the zip file when done.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: db_home.zip
              Andris Perkons-Oracle

It's right in the documentation (e.g. https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/ladbi/about-image-based-database-installation.html#GUID-03… ):

"Note: You must extract the image software (db_home.zip) into the directory where you want your Oracle Database home to be located, and then run the Oracle Database Setup Wizard to start the Oracle Database installation and configuration."

• 4. Re: db_home.zip
                EdStevens

Andris Perkons-Oracle wrote:

It's right in the documentation (e.g. https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/ladbi/about-image-based-database-installation.html#GUID-03… ):

"Note: You must extract the image software (db_home.zip) into the directory where you want your Oracle Database home to be located, and then run the Oracle Database Setup Wizard to start the Oracle Database installation and configuration."

Ah.  But I've never seen a file actually named 'db_home.zip'.  I do see files name <OS>_<version>_db_home.zip.  I guess this is yet another example of poorly worded/misleading Oracle documentation.  I'm seeing more and more of that lately.

It would appear that the doc would be better written along these lines:

"Note: You must extract the image software (eg: <os_name>_<db_version>_db_home.zip) into the directory ...."

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: db_home.zip
                  spiderwoman

unzip -q /tmp/grid_home.zip

So unzip it in oracle home directory from where I would run the ./runinstaller

correct?

I am not sure why the example has unzip it in /tmp

• 6. Re: db_home.zip
                    Dude!

Where do you think it should be?

• 7. Re: db_home.zip
                      EdStevens

spiderwoman wrote:

unzip -q /tmp/grid_home.zip

So unzip it in oracle home directory from where I would run the ./runinstaller

correct?

I am not sure why the example has unzip it in /tmp

Please re-read the instructions carefully:

$ mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle/product/19.0.0/grid  

$ cd /u01/app/oracle/product/19.0.0/grid          

$ unzip -q /tmp/grid_home.zip                          

So the first command (mkdir) creates the new directory destined to be come ORACLE_HOME

The second command (cd) makes that new directory the current directory (PWD - Present Working Directory).

And the unzip command unzips the distribution file from its location.  Since the zip command did not include a destination directory, the destination will the the current directory -- /u01/app/oracle/product/19.0.0/grid ..

Actually, now that we see it is 19c grid that you are installing, I went to the relevant doc, and found this:

1.As the grid user, download the Oracle Grid Infrastructure image files and extract the files into the Grid home. For example:

$ mkdir -p /u01/app/19.0.0/grid

$ chown grid:oinstall /u01/app/19.0.0/grid

$ cd /u01/app/19.0.0/grid

$ unzip -q download_location/grid.zip

• 8. Re: db_home.zip
                        Dude!
                        am not sure why the example has unzip it in /tmp

I can't tell you what the author of the instructions had in mind or why it is correct, but I could think of the following arguments why it isn't wrong:

1) it makes sure you have sufficient /tmp space.

2) it shows that you don't need the .zip file anymore after extracting.

4) it doesn't cause the ORACLE_HOME to run out of disk space.

5) people may forget to delete the zip file, which takes quite some disk space.

6) people may forget to add -q, hence extracting all the stuff where they downloaded the file.