4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2020 6:38 PM by 3197406

"Delivering" a SQL Developer data model.

I have completed a relational model in SQLDeveloper Data modeler 19.2 and need to deliver/export the model and design to another group.  What method or group of files will ensure that the model can be opened and used in another organization/environment?

• 1. Re: "Delivering" a SQL Developer data model.
          Kent Graziano

I assume the other group is using the same version of SDDM? You could simply do a Save As to a shared drive that they can simply open it from.  Or you could save it to GIT or subversion and let them check it out from there, then you can see what they changed?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Delivering" a SQL Developer data model.

Thanks for the quick response.  I have identified the version so they can use the same one.  I'm delivering to a different company and environment via our common customer.  Saving to GIT might very well be the solution; I will try it and report back.

• 3. Re: "Delivering" a SQL Developer data model.
              Kent Graziano

If that does not work, then you need to find the .dmd file and related sub-folder. If your design is named "Demo DB" then you need to find Demo DB.dmd and the folder named Demo DB. zip the folder then send them the dmd file and the zip. These files should be in your Default Designs Directory. (Oracle Data Modeler -> Preferences -> Data Modeler)

If you have set any specific custom preferences, data types, or domains, then you will need to send the related files too (preferences, domains, file etc.) which should be in your Default Save Directory. These are all xml files.

I see under File -> Export -> To Data Modeler Design - not sure if that might package these up micely. Have never used that option.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Delivering" a SQL Developer data model.

There is no common Git repository, so it looks like a zip.  I had seen that directory structure but wasn't sure if I needed to include the .dmd and all the subfolders; it's just as simple to do so.  Will have someone test the output.  Thanks a bunch for the help.

BTW, I tried the Export to Data Modeler Design, with no apparent results.  My default locations are not set, so maybe I need more study there.

Thanks again.