4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2020 12:29 PM by Moh.Sayed

How critical are EBS Critical Patches for Weblogic if behind a firewall

How critical are EBS Critical Patches for Weblogic if behind a firewall?

I personally as an Apps DBA am a big proponent of keeping EBS patched & up-to-date including regular CPU/PSU patching quarterly (perhaps delayed by 20-40 days so bugs are worked out).

Normally I would never ask this question, but in a new position I am in, there seems to be resistance to any kind of EBS patching, even on non-prd. It's a small organization and I have seen this at one other small org before, but puzzled. I think part of the issue is not wanting to do extensive testing, but as far as I know, there are NEVER any functional changes in security patches, correct? In my experience they either apply successfully - or NOT. Once applied, no issues except possible the working through the tightened security that is imposed.

Recently management asked about an urgent Weblogic security fix that is part of April 2020 security patches  CVE-2020-2883 and I am being asked to evaluate the actual risk. I am doing so. However is the risk lower since our EBS and WEblogic is behind the corporate firewall?