• 15. Re: Community Migration FAQ
      Dude!

I never really liked the idea that posts are distributed to people's personal email, at least not the body of the message. I would prefer if Oracle did not automatically redistribute posts by email and info was only available online. How does the new platform deal with the situation in regard to file attachments?

• 16. Re: Community Migration FAQ
        Jim Finch-Oracle

File attachments are not included in notification e-mails in either the current system or the new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 17. Re: Community Migration FAQ
          Dude!

Edit for clarification: Bookmarks to blogs and documents, since their URLs will be changing, will not come over in the migration to the new system.

I suppose that means that any references to blogs or documents and attachments that exist on the Internet will no longer work either. Not good. Btw, this is the 2nd time I'm loosing all my bookmarks. Previous community management, no longer with Oracle though, said this would not happen again.

• 18. Re: Community Migration FAQ
            Dude!

The migration FAQ speaks much about gamification and global/community leaderboards, but to does not mention forum/space leaderboards. The global leaderboards are perhaps useful for the top 10, but the forum leaderboards are what reflects the area of expertise. I seriously hope you are not doing away with forum leaderboards, or have people start from scratch again like it happened when the gamification module was introduced.

• 19. Re: Community Migration FAQ
              Jim Finch-Oracle

The current plan has all users receiving points to put them to roughly the equivalent of the level they have when the transition happens. Since it is a brand new leveling system, everyone will start out at the base points for the level they have earned. They will also have those base points on each individual hub they participate in as the hubs are independent of each other. Where there are leaderboards, they will reflect the activity on that hub. There will be no "global" leaderboards for the entire site, as you can have a different point value for each hub. If global leaderboards are offered per hub (and that's up to those who run that hub), then they'll be reflective of that hub.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 20. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                Dude!

Reading your response a few times I understand that "hub" stands for the community, like MOSC, Topliners, Groundbreakers, etc. But my question was more specifically about forum leaderboards, such as General Database, Oracle Linux, RMAN, etc., also known as "individual" leaderboards. What will happen to them?

• 21. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                  Jim Finch-Oracle

Leaderboards will be more general at first, I'll have to confirm with the design team, but introducing them on a granular level for individual communities is scheduled for a future phase next year.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 22. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                    Dude!

So to cut the chase, are there going to be forum leaderboards to recognize the expertise and dedication that people have put in for many years in the current platform?

• 23. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

Individual forum leaderboards may be possible for a future phase, based on requests of said community. They won't be available at launch.

Best,

Jim

• 24. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/15 Update
                        BluShadow

Jim Finch-Oracle

Regarding the documents that will be converted to discussions.  It says that these will get a new URL.  Are (cross) references to the old URLs within other discussions going to be updated to the relevant new URL for the documents?  If not, then we're going to end up with a lot of discussions/questions where references are made to community documents that will no longer work i.e. lots of broken links.

For example, I have several "PL/SQL 101" documents in the SQL and PL/SQL space: SQL & PL/SQL which are often referred to by myself or other members when answering questions (as they provide answers to many of the common questions we see).  If the links end up broken then we'll have a load of trashed questions in the SQL and PL/SQL space where the links no longer work (and I'm certainly not going to go around trying to fix them all).

• 25. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/15 Update
                          L. Fernigrini

Every time we I got involved in migration from a legacy system to a system developed by my company, we create a bunch of mapping tables where values in the "source" system are mapped to new values in the new system. I guess the migration team in charge of this migration should store the new address for existing documents/discussions and store the new one, and then all pages should be parsed and any "old" address referenced replaced by the new one.

That's how I would do it...

• 26. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/17 Update
                            Jim Finch-Oracle

The short quick answer: I'll know more when I talk to our rep later today (and we'll know for sure next week when we do the second test migration and have the first full-on examples of documents migrating).

If the existing message points to a document that is housed in a member's profile, those links will not work at all as profile blogs & documents are not coming over in the transition (see the blogs & documents message I've spammed everyone's e-mail with). We're asking members to move the content over to the Jive Archive to preserve the old data as discussions, but existing urls to the old blogs & documents will not work when we transition.

If the existing message points to a document that is housed as part of a community, The migration may result in some broken links in older messages and we'll have to adapt to using the new links when we get them. We won't be asking anyone to update old messages by hand. There's a long and complex explanation for this (one site becoming multiple hubs, the content type not being supported, sub-communities restructuring, aliens, etc.), but I'll wait for confirmation from our representative before going into it.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 27. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/17 Update
                              BluShadow

Well, all the documents I created are part of the SQL and PL/SQL space (alongside those created by Steven Feuerstein and other space admin), so not part of my profile.  Sounds like they may be mapped ok, but I'll wait to see what you find.

• 28. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/17 Update
                                Jim Finch-Oracle

Just updating from my meeting with our contact: The URLS posted as text previously in messages won't show a change in the text but they WILL redirect to the proper document.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 29. Re: Community Migration FAQ 8/17 Update

How do we delete old pages that can no longer be edited?