Community Migration FAQ 9/8 Update

Jim Finch-Oracle

Q: When is the migration taking place?

A: Fall 2020.

Q: Are the community forums moving to Cloud Customer Connect?

A: No. The communities will remain in their own domain.

Q: Will all communities now reside on Community.Oracle.Com?

A: No. Some will remain on Cloud Customer Connect.

Q: Will the new community software support mobile devices?

A: Yes, please see the Welcome Area for examples of formatting for different screen sizes.

Q: Will the new community software still have an SSO Sign-on?

A: There will be no changes to the SSO system.

Q: Will the paid and free areas be lumped into one community? (Updated 6/24)

A: MOSC, Topliners, Netsuite, The Developer Community, etc., will be contained in their own environments with their own search, leaderboards, and gamification. Users will have the same access as they have now to those communities and the overall user profile will show badging and levels for each area.

Q: What will happen to my gamification points?

A: For continuity purposes, the new gamification system uses level names and point values similar to what is offered in Cloud Customer Connect (note: we're taking the level names/points values but not *how* you earn points). When the transition happens, each of our current members will receive a legacy badge and points award that will gain them a level that is roughly equivalent to what they had in the old system. Legacy users will start at the same level across areas they had been active in (a Developer and MOSC user would get the same starting level in both, for example), but after the initial award points earned and levels gained will reflect only the area that they were earned in.

Q: What will happen to the leaderboards? (Updated 8/15)

A: Leaderboards will be unique to the hub that you're in. If you're in the Developer's community, you'll see points and levels reflective of what you've done in that area. Users will be able to view your rankings, badges, and points in the user profiles.

Q: Will there be leaderboards in all communities?

A: At launch, we're featuring general leaderboards for each hub. In later releases, we plan on reintroducing leaderboards to specific communities. 

Q: What other changes will there be to the gamification system?

A: First, any area that has unique badges or gamification structure (Topliners badges, as an example), will retain those in the new system with adjusted point values. Those badges and point values will impact their ranking and leaderboard position on the server where they're offered. Those users who participate in the free areas will no longer be at a leaderboard disadvantage to those who have access to the paid areas as their leaderboards reflect the area that they're active in.

Second, we will no longer provide points for such things as liking a post, marking a post correct or helpful, etc., past the initial use of the function in most cases. Points earned will be earned for receiving recognition of your contributions to the area you're in (someone liking your post, hosting an event, someone marking you helpful, etc.). Reputation is important and the progression through the new ranking system should be based on a person's contributions to the community.

Lastly, while each area will share the same leveling names and structure, we're also working to ensure the same actions will have the same values regardless of area. Receiving a "like" will grant the same point value no matter where you are on the system, for example. We intend to provide a similar gamification experience no matter where you spend your time with a unified structure for the different areas.

Q: Can employees and moderators participate in the gamification system?

A: Yes, there's no change. Oracle employees can be identified with the word -Oracle displayed after their names, while moderators will have the role of "moderator" displayed in their postings.

Q: Can you tell me about the new editor? How does it compare to Jive's advanced editor?

A: The vast majority of features from the current editor will be available at launch. HTML tables, however (and HTML formatting in general) will not be available. The editor is otherwise fully WYSIWYG and works the same for both the PC and mobile views.

Q: How does it handle code pasted in from another site?

A: If the original code has a code block tag then the code will come in formatted as code. If it does not, it will come in as text; from there, the user will be able to highlight the code and apply a code block tag. The editor will not attempt to modify or transform the code in any way.

Q: Does the editor contain a built-in spellchecker?

A: No. The built-in spellchecker of our current setup is highly buggy and the new editor does not contain one. Therefore, our developers recommend using a browser with a built-in spell checker such as Chrome.

Q: What sort of notifications will I get from the new software?

A: The new notification system extensive options that offer alerts in either pop-up or e-mail formats. Users are able to choose one or both. Some of the notifications include:

Notify me when people accept my answer.
    Notify me when people answer my question.
    Notify me when I earn a badge.
    Notify me when a badge is requested.
    Notify me when my rank changes.
    Notify me when my ideas' statuses change.
    Notify me when the status changes on an idea I've voted on.
    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    Notify me when people mention me.
    Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.
    Notify me of private messages.

Q: Will I be alerted when someone comments on a discussion I've subscribed to?

A: Yes, alerts will be offered for bookmarks.

Q: What's the difference between a pop-up and an e-mail alert on the new system?

A: Pop-ups are literally that; a pop-up window will appear in the lower-left corner of the screen with an alert; an e-mail will e-mail the alert to your e-mail inbox.

Q: What's the difference both "Notify me when people answer my question" and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions"?

A: Questions and discussions are two different content types in the new system, therefore they have two different types of alerts. A question is essentially a top-level message and you can have alerts when someone answers that question. A discussion is a different type of content, so if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

Q: What's the difference between "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions"?

A: In the new system, you have the ability to bookmark discussions; these discussions can be nearly anything and not necessarily the discussions you *created*. When you choose this alert, you'll get an alert whenever someone comments on the discussion you've bookmarked. Your discussions are discussions you've participated in; if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

Q: What happens to existing blogs and documents when we migrate?

Blog and document creation was turned off on 7/31/2020 in order to prepare for the migration to a new platform later this year. The new platform does not support the blog or document content type.

Community Managers: Blogs and documents created as part of your community will be converted to the discussion content type automatically as part of the migration. They will also receive new URLS on the new platform. Editing of existing blogs and documents is not possible at this time. If an edit is required before the transition to the new platform, please recreate the document as a discussion then request a URL redirect via web tracker. Please note that the new platform does not support HTML tables. Documents that contain these tables may need to be reformatted after conversion.

Example: If your blog or document was created in a Community area and appears under the "blogs" or "documents" heading from that area:

example2.PNG

You don't have to do anything. Those blogs and documents will be converted to discussions.

Members: Blogs and documents created as part of your member profile will not automatically come over as part of the migration. In order to preserve your existing blog or document, it must be recreated as a discussion and posted here: https://community.oracle.com/community/groundbreakers/jive-archive The deadline to do so is 8/31/2020. Documents and blogs reposted in this area will be included in this migration. Please note that members can no longer create new or edit existing blogs and documents at this time.

Example: If your blog or document was created as part of your profile and appears under the "blogs" or "documents" section of your profile:

example3.PNG

You must recreate them as documents in this area as blogs or documents that were created as part of a profile WILL NOT be included in our migration.

To move your blogs or documents:

Click here: Personal Document & Blog Archive

Click "start a new discussion" and copy your blog or document to that new discussion.

For multiple blog entries or documents, we suggest creating a new discussion for EACH entry or each document.

If a document contains

Once this is complete, those blog entries and documents will be included in the migration.

Q: What happens to documents that have been uploaded as file attachments?

A: The "document" content type will be retired on 7/31 and is not an option on the new system. Existing attachments will remain as attachments and will not be converted to discussions.

Q: Will bookmarks from the current platform come over in the transition to the new system?

A: Early tests show that bookmarks to existing conversations do indeed come over. However, bookmarks of current blogs and documents will not transition as they will receive new URLs on the new platform.

Q: The current platform offers the ability to set a note with each bookmark, does the new platform have this functionality?

A: No, it does not.

Q: Does this impact the blogs that are housed on blogs.oracle.com?

A: No. Blogs.oracle.com exists outside of our community platform. The changes impact the blogs created within community.oracle.com's platform with the "blogs" feature. The new community platform does not support blogs and all official Oracle blogs will remain on blogs.oracle.com.

Q: What other sites are being transitioned to the new platform?

A: The only Oracle site being transitioned to a new platform is community.oracle.com. No other Oracle domains are moving to the platform at this time. Our transition does not impact non-Community.Oracle.com sites.

• 1. Re: Community Migration FAQ
        Quanwen Zhao

Hello Jim Finch ,

A few days ago I submitted an idea about An email notification if someone replies to my thread on the space of Oracle Community Ideas. Afterwards BluShadow provides Community Migration FAQ 9/8 Update and Community Migration FAQ 6/25, so I'm coming here to seek for your help.

First of all, let's describe my current confusion existing in the thread that I mentioned previously. In other words, now my personal PREFERENCES is below,

my_current_ODC_notification_setting.png

As you can see it's also my default settings, now my Inbox will be prompting a red solid circle filling up with a corresponding number when someone responds to a new discussion started by me with his/her opinion. And you can also see there is three types of Inbox setting. I'm not sure which one is only able to notify me with my email-box. So I try to set them to be all "On". I finally receive several email notifications as follows.

receiving_so_many_email_notifications_setting_inbox_to_on.png

In fact I just expect to receive special email notifications for those discussions started by me if somebody comments them (because I'll timely see those email notification on my cellphone). Perhaps such detailed function will be improved and enhanced on the new version of ODC, particularly you mention Oracle Community is on the move.

Secondly, I finished reading Community Migration FAQ 7/29 and noticed the following stuff,

new_ODC_notification_setting.png

Here's some points always struggling with me:

(1) what's pop-up? (Is it the my screenshot below?)

my_ODC_inbox_prompt_new_message_number.png

(2) what's the difference between pop-up and e-mail formats?

(3) what's the difference both "Notify me when people answer my question" and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions"?

Usually I would like to start a discussion, also could I start a question? so question is used to be answered and discussion is used to be commented?

(4) what's the difference between "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions"?

Here about my bookmarked discussions, whether they're those discussions that I started or that I bookmarked (in fact they are started by somebody)?

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

• 2. Re: Community Migration FAQ
          Jim Finch-Oracle

Hi There,

(1) what's pop-up? (Is it the my screenshot below?)

A pop-up notification on the new system will be an alert that currently resides in the lower-left corner of the screen much like a windows system notification.

(2) what's the difference between pop-up and e-mail formats?

A pop-up is a pop-up window that can be dismissed. An e-mail alert will e-mail that alert to you. You may choose one or the other or both.

(3) what's the difference both "Notify me when people answer my question" and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions"?

Usually I would like to start a discussion, also could I start a question? so question is used to be answered and discussion is used to be commented?

Questions and discussions are two different content types in the new system, therefore they have two different types of alerts. A question is essentially a top-level message and you can have alerts when someone answers that question. A discussion is a different type of content, so if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

(4) what's the difference between "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions"?

Here about my bookmarked discussions, whether they're those discussions that I started or that I bookmarked (in fact they are started by somebody)?

In the new system, you have the ability to bookmark discussions; these discussions can be nearly anything (not necessarily the discussions you *created*). When you choose this alert, you'll get an alert whenever someone comments on the discussion you've bookmarked.

Your discussions are discussions you've participated in; if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 3. Re: Community Migration FAQ
            Quanwen Zhao

Thank you so much for detailedly replying to my all of questions, Jim Finch . I got it ...

Very great, At the same time I also noticed that you've updated the Community Migration FAQ 7/29 on which you even added my three conspicuous questions.

Hence I continue to read the subsequent several Q/A(s), the following stuff attracts my eyes.

Q: Why the change?

A: There are no dedicated content types for "blogs" or "documents" on the new platform.

It seems that the above question has been lack of something after "change", I just guess which is connected with the below Q/A.

Q: What happens to existing blogs and documents when we migrate?

A: The new platform does not support content types known as "blogs" or "documents." Post-migration, existing documents and blogs will be converted into the "discussion" content-type.

In order to preserve the data for existing blogs and documents, the blogging and document features on the current platform will be retired on 7/31/20 and no new documents or blogs will be created on the system past that date.

On the other hand, there are no an updating document name (such as, Community Migration FAQ 6/25, but Community Migration FAQ 7/13 is changed, pretty weird!!!) in my response to you - Re: Community Migration FAQ and the Migration FAQ is still original name in your response to yourself (The specified item was not found.). I really observe which is a new name (Community Migration FAQ 7/13) that you've replaced with. Is it a bug?

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

• 4. Re: Community Migration FAQ
              Jim Finch-Oracle
              On the other hand, there are no an updating document name (such as, Community Migration FAQ 6/25, but Community Migration FAQ 7/13 is changed, pretty weird!!!) in my response to you - Re: Community Migration FAQ and the Migration FAQ is still original name in your response to yourself (Re: Community Migration FAQ). I really observe which is a new name (Community Migration FAQ 7/13) that you've replaced with. Is it a bug?

It's Jive showing why we're going to a new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 5. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                Jim-D

Jim Finch-Oracle - Should the FAQ have an estimated go live date?

(Maybe list the target year/quarter/month now, and change to a date as you get closer to go live?)

• 6. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                  Dude!

The "document" content type will be retired on 7/31 and is not an option on the new system.

What does retire mean, and consequently, what will happen to documents in the current platform? Will I still be able to locate my own documents for as long as the old platform exists? Will I be able to modify/update my documents after 7/31?

Some documents won't make much sense unless kept up to date. For example:

Howto Checksum Oracle Linux Installation ISO

I have a bunch of other documents too that I wish to update as changes occur.

Contributions and Leaderboards

• 7. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                    Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

The "document" content type will be retired on 7/31 and is not an option on the new system.

What does retire mean, and consequently, what will happen to documents in the current platform? Will I still be able to locate my own documents for as long as the old platform exists? Will I be able to modify/update my documents after 7/31?

Some documents won't make much sense unless kept up to date. For example:

Howto Checksum Oracle Linux Installation ISO

I have a bunch of other documents too that I wish to update as changes occur.

Contributions and Leaderboards

No new documents or blogs will be able to be created post 7/31.

Existing documents/blogs will remain where they are in their current format until the migration.

Post-migration, they'll be converted to discussion threads. Locations TBD. We'll have more info on that closer to the migration.

Best,

Jim

• 8. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

Jim-D wrote:

Jim Finch-Oracle - Should the FAQ have an estimated go live date?

(Maybe list the target year/quarter/month now, and change to a date as you get closer to go live?)

At this time, we've been asked by the powers that be not to give out anything further than "later this year."

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 9. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                        Jim-D

Jim Finch-Oracle "Later this year" would be great to add to the FAQ for now, with updated details as the powers that be make their decisions.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                          Jim Finch-Oracle

Jim-D wrote:

Jim Finch-Oracle "Later this year" would be great to add to the FAQ for now, with updated details as the powers that be make their decisions.

Thanks!

I added TBD 2020. That's all I can say for now.

Best,

Jim

• 11. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                            Quanwen Zhao

Haha ... , Jim Finch.

It represents you once modified the initial DOC name "Community Migration FAQ" to be subsequent "Migration FAQ" and "Community Migration FAQ 7/13", am I right? (Because I noticed that the document ICON's color became brown from the original sky blue).

Very very nice. Even I am able to browse each REVISION NUMBER in order to observe the change with Color Key: Addition Deletion Change.

ODC_doc_revision_number.png

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

Edited: adding a funny revision screenshot.

• 12. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                              Dude!

I've many bookmarks with custom notes or keywords in my profile as a reference to older discussions. What will happen to bookmarks and info after the migration?

• 13. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                                Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

I've many bookmarks with custom notes or keywords in my profile as a reference to older discussions. What will happen to bookmarks and info after the migration?

While bookmarks are offered, they are no longer located in the profile nor will they offer sharable lists. They're now located in quick links and will be accessible by each individual user from most of the forum screens.

From what I've seen, bookmarks to existing discussions did come over in the test migration. Unless something majorly changes (and no promises at this point as I have not confirmed this with our rep.), that will be what comes over in the final.

As far as notes, the new system does not have a feature for putting notes on bookmarks. It's just something they don't offer at this time.

Edit for clarification: Bookmarks to blogs and documents, since their URLs will be changing, will not come over in the migration to the new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 14. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                                  Dude!

Notes or custom keywords are very useful. What people put in the subject lines is usually meaningless and does not help to locate information. So I guess what I will have to do is to make snapshots of my bookmarks and then search for the post by title.

1 2 3 4 上一个 下一个