10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 10:54 PM by ToolTimeTabor

How do I expose my BI tables for analysis in OBIEE in 11g?

ToolTimeTabor

The tutorials all show the use of existing Subject Areas.  Can I attach directly using the Create Direct Database Request or do I need to create (or incorporate) my new tables in a Subject Area? 

I am a newbie to OBIEE, but am familiar with DW/DM/BI principles from using NOETIX/INFORMATICA previously.  Working on mapping my knowledge to Oracle products.

My scenario is a simple two-table dataset that spans Active Directory, SQL Server and Oracle. Let’s call the dataset the “Account Coordination Toolkit” or “ACT” dataset. It is intended for use by the system administrators to automate via email notification upcoming account expirations and to process those email notifications by extending the Active Directory and Oracle accounts, when the approval email is returned by the manager.  So, we have both Active Directory logins and Oracle users in play. 

II have figured out a) how to import my two relational data table extracts into my BI staging area using ODI, b) merge those two tables into a single-source-of-truth FACT table that contains both AD and Oracle information, c) created a star-diagram table structure with my merge table as the FACT table along with three DIM tables, and d) connected to these datasets and worked with them in PowerBI and been able to mix and match DIM filtering on my FACT table. 

So, here you can see the two relational tables when using PowerBI    

And, here you can see the star-diagram tables when using PowerBI

When I go into OBIEE, I am not sure how to connect to either set of tables.  Everything seems to be in a Subject Area.  So, can I attach directly using the Create Direct Database Request or do I need to create (or incorporate) my new tables in a Subject Area? 

If the latter, how do I get my tables into the Subject Area?

Thanks.