1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2020 10:56 AM by Gianni Ceresa

RPD related queries

Sangeeta Pandey

Hi Experts,

As a beginner of OBIEE may I seek your help as below:

1) I can see 2 connection points at RPD, OHI Analytics CP and OHI Analytics Language CP.

Why 2 different CP required and what is purpose of each?

2) Why we check global consistency , what it is and what is purpose of it?

3) What does update row count does exactly.

4) Upload the RPD at server and Deploy the RPD at server is same thing?

Thanks,

Sangeeta

• 1. Re: RPD related queries
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi

Sangeeta Pandey wrote:

1) I can see 2 connection points at RPD, OHI Analytics CP and OHI Analytics Language CP.

Why 2 different CP required and what is purpose of each?

Your RPD is yours, nobody else has the same. OBIEE comes with an empty RPD. Therefore it isn't possible to tell you the meaning or reason for those connection pools to exist. You would need to post screenshots of your RPD to receive "guessed" reply at the best.

2) Why we check global consistency , what it is and what is purpose of it?

To verify your models make sense for OBIEE. In the RPD you could model things randomly, while the RPD can contain that random thing doesn't mean OBIEE will understand what to do with it.

The consistency check verify that no strict OBIEE rule is broken and suggest "best practices" when you have something which could be done better (warnings instead of errors).

Take the consistency check as your friend: do it when you build or change things to make sure you aren't going against what OBIEE does.

3) What does update row count does exactly.

It just count the rows in the physical object, a table in general. It's useful to know if a table has 20 rows or 20 billions, because you will model things differently in some cases when having big and small tables (to try to force OBIEE to generate better queries and not having super slow analysis).

4) Upload the RPD at server and Deploy the RPD at server is same thing?

It depends ....

In OBIEE 11g you could consider it's the same (except if you take 'upload' as just loading the new file but not applying it and therefore it's like if it isn't loaded at all.

In OBIEE 12c, because you don't go through a webpage with a file upload form anymore, the word 'deploy' is more "correct". 'upload' could mean you just copied the file on the server somewhere in the file system, but this doesn't mean OBIEE is aware of it. By deploying it, you are doing an action inside OBIEE.

I would use the word 'deploy' only to avoid any misunderstanding.

1 person found this helpful